R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think I measured it at about 22mm.

I have a JConcepts wing too. I mounted it based on some pics of Maifields buggy. It sits even closer to the tower than that one but I didnt measure it.

Moving the wing up had more of an effect than adding weight to the front to simulate the battery being moved on how the car jumps. In fact in the video its the first run after the weight I added had come loose and I took it off and I didnt notice any change.

Thanks for the compliments. That was my first race back after almost 2 months off and I was a little worried I wouldnt be able to keep up. Too bad my engine didnt last the whole way through.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Tech Elite

I have a e-mail from Mr. Saxton about the wing mounting position. Ryan M was running it at 25mm. Not sure if it's changed as I have not asked in a while. Some like it farther back. I havn't driven in over a 1-1.5 years. And that was only once. I was surprised how much easy it was to get back up to pace. I havn't driven my car yet. Hopefully in a week or 2. If it doesn't rain. I won't run in the mud.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Unhappy SETUP Problem

Ok here's what I got. I have the BIG BORE SHOCKS and the pistons that comes with it and I'm running the silver springs in front with 40wt oil and the rear has black springs 35wt oil the car was bouncing alot but this combination has calmed that down but I have to push the collars pretty far down for it to ride level.What I wanna Know is what combination do I need to do to pull them up towards the top(maybe not all the way)but further than they are now.I know there has got to be away I 'm just trying to find out how.
cameronspruill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

To accomplish what you'd like to do (although a couple of AE drivers advised against) you're going to need a stiffer rear spring. Experiment with the AE's and the Jammin springs and I'm sure you'll find a happy medium.

Go too stiff and you'll be bouncing again.

As for pistons I've heard 6x1.3 25wt rear, 10x1.1 25wt rear and a couple of others.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Tech Elite

There is no way to accomplish your goal Cameron. You would need to have springs made special that were the same rate but longer than the springs your using now. The silver and black springs are extremely soft IMO. Thats why its taking so much pre-load to get ride height.

Most guys who are running oil in the same neighborhood as you are using 1.3x10 pistons bronze fronts and black rears and its common for them to have the rears pre-loaded all the way to the bottom of the threads to get ride height.

Having the pre-load spacers all the way down like that will not have a negative effect on anything. The location of the collar does nothing to the spring rate or shock action. If you dont want to change your set-up there is no reason you need to. If it works for you is all that matters.

If your looking to try another set-up I use the stock pre-drilled 1.3x6 pistons and 25wt oil front and rear with bronze front springs and silver rear springs. Most of the guys running the new towers and stuff are running 10 hole pistons but you have to drill those yourself.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Chris there was a picture on Neobuggy that very plainly showed where Maifield had his wing. It was the last big race win for him (I'm drawing a blank on the name of the race).

Anyway in the picture you could see the mount was right up against the part of the wing as it shifts upward. This may not make sense unless your holding a JConcepts wing but it was mounted so the end of the mount was just at the end of the flat part. I duplicated that and compared to the 22mm to the Proline wing its even closer I would say 18-20mm. The front of the wing is right there almost right over the shocks. Its close.

I think 25mm is what you get if you move the stock wing to its furthest forward position using 2 screws. 25mm is the setting Melton and Pace told me they were using at Motorama.

I was concentrating on getting the holes perpendicular to the front more than the distance back overall when I mounted the Proline wing and it ended up being 22mm.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Jason I have a Jconcepts HD wing. Sorry guys.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
Tech Elite

What is the apology for?