Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DREAUX'S PERSONAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

someone help me. I am having an engine bog problem with all my engines it seems. Vspecs and ninja. What is happening is once the engine is warmed up the idle drops to a very very low idle. Not a gurgle like it's to rich, but more like it almost wants to die and is barely hanging on and it's not very loud at all but almost quiet. And of course if i let it keep going it will die and it does not take that long to do so.

This is pretty much at just about 100% performance, and i have tried to richen and lean it but it does the same thing. The only difference is how long it takes for the idle to drop and make that sound and then die. I consider myself a pretty good tunner and the engines are in great shape. The only thing i can think of is that it is supposed to sound/act this way. THe first vspec i had did not sound like this at all on idle. But it was my firt vspec and i really did not how to tune.

is this ok? I thought it might be a lean bog since it doesn't sound blubbery but still acts in the same way and seems to have the same effect.

engine runs great and has good smoke and temps around 230. but i feel like i am missing something. maybe i am just crazzy. but it is driving me nutts.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
someone help me. I am having an engine bog problem with all my engines it seems. Vspecs and ninja. What is happening is once the engine is warmed up the idle drops to a very very low idle. Not a gurgle like it's to rich, but more like it almost wants to die and is barely hanging on and it's not very loud at all but almost quiet. And of course if i let it keep going it will die and it does not take that long to do so.

This is pretty much at just about 100% performance, and i have tried to richen and lean it but it does the same thing. The only difference is how long it takes for the idle to drop and make that sound and then die. I consider myself a pretty good tunner and the engines are in great shape. The only thing i can think of is that it is supposed to sound/act this way. THe first vspec i had did not sound like this at all on idle. But it was my firt vspec and i really did not how to tune.

is this ok? I thought it might be a lean bog since it doesn't sound blubbery but still acts in the same way and seems to have the same effect.

engine runs great and has good smoke and temps around 230. but i feel like i am missing something. maybe i am just crazzy. but it is driving me nutts.
Have you tried raising the idle with the idle screw?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Aside from idle screw check your tank. Are you seeing any bubbles in you lines?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

the idle gap is already set fairly big, but i did try a quater turn with no effect. A half turn seems an awful lot for a gap that is already to big imo. I have tried leaning the low speed and that did not help either. Actually made it worse. Richening did not help either
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
i did not check the tank. This particular tank is an old tank on an older car, so that may very well be the problem. Except it's doing it with my ninja too. Maybe i have 2 bad tanks. I will definitley check for the bubles. I have checked the tanks for leaks and couldn't find any. But the bubbles would mean i have a leak right?

I will be at watson for the night race saturday. You going to be there? I hope it's better lighted.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

your idle gap is probably too big and your tune is way out of whack because of it. close your gap to about 1MM and retune
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
your idle gap is probably too big and your tune is way out of whack because of it. close your gap to about 1MM and retune
hope you are right. I always set my idle gap first and it's usually less then one milimeter. I don't know why it was open bigger. But when i close it, it doesn't get any better. Will retune everything tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

dont tune on the box, and make sure you get it up to operating temps before you tune it..run it on the track for 1/2 tank then bring it in and start tuning..make sure your linkage is set to close the idle and the car does not shut off when you apply brakes
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

i did not check the tank. This particular tank is an old tank on an older car, so that may very well be the problem. Except it's doing it with my ninja too. Maybe i have 2 bad tanks. I will definitley check for the bubles. I have checked the tanks for leaks and couldn't find any. But the bubbles would mean i have a leak right?

I will be at watson for the night race saturday. You going to be there? I hope it's better lighted.
I have a wedding to go to saturday, so no racing for me. Im sure someone will be out there that will be able to help you track down the problem. It really sounds like there is an air leak somewhere causein an irratic tune.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

what does it mean when you have air gaps or bubbles in your fuel lines?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by J.Sears
what does it mean when you have air gaps or bubbles in your fuel lines?
It means you have a air leak somewhere in the fuel system.

dreaux i may be out there saturday. the wedding isnt till next weekend. i thought it was this weekend.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
i think thats the answer right there. also check the idle screw, my ninja feels very easy to turn which worries me.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

causein
honestly....
Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imaxx21
honestly....
Don't hate me cause you aint me
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

what brand of fuel do you run ? some fuels idle very poorly..... This last weekend one of the locals was having issues with 2 of my modified engines...originally he blamed the engines, however once I got my hands on it we found his fuel was the problem...He was running the new Blue Thunder Race and having nothing but issues, i switched him over to Odonell and the issues went away....Not all fuel is the same...I have had nothing but issues with BLue Thunder and Sidewinder.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.