R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #346
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

someone help me. I am having an engine bog problem with all my engines it seems. Vspecs and ninja. What is happening is once the engine is warmed up the idle drops to a very very low idle. Not a gurgle like it's to rich, but more like it almost wants to die and is barely hanging on and it's not very loud at all but almost quiet. And of course if i let it keep going it will die and it does not take that long to do so.

This is pretty much at just about 100% performance, and i have tried to richen and lean it but it does the same thing. The only difference is how long it takes for the idle to drop and make that sound and then die. I consider myself a pretty good tunner and the engines are in great shape. The only thing i can think of is that it is supposed to sound/act this way. THe first vspec i had did not sound like this at all on idle. But it was my firt vspec and i really did not how to tune.

is this ok? I thought it might be a lean bog since it doesn't sound blubbery but still acts in the same way and seems to have the same effect.

engine runs great and has good smoke and temps around 230. but i feel like i am missing something. maybe i am just crazzy. but it is driving me nutts.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #347
Tech Fanatic
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
someone help me. I am having an engine bog problem with all my engines it seems. Vspecs and ninja. What is happening is once the engine is warmed up the idle drops to a very very low idle. Not a gurgle like it's to rich, but more like it almost wants to die and is barely hanging on and it's not very loud at all but almost quiet. And of course if i let it keep going it will die and it does not take that long to do so.

This is pretty much at just about 100% performance, and i have tried to richen and lean it but it does the same thing. The only difference is how long it takes for the idle to drop and make that sound and then die. I consider myself a pretty good tunner and the engines are in great shape. The only thing i can think of is that it is supposed to sound/act this way. THe first vspec i had did not sound like this at all on idle. But it was my firt vspec and i really did not how to tune.

is this ok? I thought it might be a lean bog since it doesn't sound blubbery but still acts in the same way and seems to have the same effect.

engine runs great and has good smoke and temps around 230. but i feel like i am missing something. maybe i am just crazzy. but it is driving me nutts.
Have you tried raising the idle with the idle screw?
__________________
Losi 8ight-Novarossi N21R-Hitec Servos-AKA-M11 Spektrum
*TEAM TERRIBLES*
Cory Kerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #348
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Covington, La.
Posts: 3,585
Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
someone help me. I am having an engine bog problem with all my engines it seems. Vspecs and ninja. What is happening is once the engine is warmed up the idle drops to a very very low idle. Not a gurgle like it's to rich, but more like it almost wants to die and is barely hanging on and it's not very loud at all but almost quiet. And of course if i let it keep going it will die and it does not take that long to do so.

This is pretty much at just about 100% performance, and i have tried to richen and lean it but it does the same thing. The only difference is how long it takes for the idle to drop and make that sound and then die. I consider myself a pretty good tunner and the engines are in great shape. The only thing i can think of is that it is supposed to sound/act this way. THe first vspec i had did not sound like this at all on idle. But it was my firt vspec and i really did not how to tune.

is this ok? I thought it might be a lean bog since it doesn't sound blubbery but still acts in the same way and seems to have the same effect.

engine runs great and has good smoke and temps around 230. but i feel like i am missing something. maybe i am just crazzy. but it is driving me nutts.
Aside from idle screw check your tank. Are you seeing any bubbles in you lines?
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #349
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

the idle gap is already set fairly big, but i did try a quater turn with no effect. A half turn seems an awful lot for a gap that is already to big imo. I have tried leaning the low speed and that did not help either. Actually made it worse. Richening did not help either
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #350
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
Aside from idle screw check your tank. Are you seeing any bubbles in you lines?
i did not check the tank. This particular tank is an old tank on an older car, so that may very well be the problem. Except it's doing it with my ninja too. Maybe i have 2 bad tanks. I will definitley check for the bubles. I have checked the tanks for leaks and couldn't find any. But the bubbles would mean i have a leak right?

I will be at watson for the night race saturday. You going to be there? I hope it's better lighted.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #351
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

your idle gap is probably too big and your tune is way out of whack because of it. close your gap to about 1MM and retune
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #352
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
your idle gap is probably too big and your tune is way out of whack because of it. close your gap to about 1MM and retune
hope you are right. I always set my idle gap first and it's usually less then one milimeter. I don't know why it was open bigger. But when i close it, it doesn't get any better. Will retune everything tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks guys.
__________________
"You are not understanding the fundamental principles of my fragmented personality"

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #353
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

dont tune on the box, and make sure you get it up to operating temps before you tune it..run it on the track for 1/2 tank then bring it in and start tuning..make sure your linkage is set to close the idle and the car does not shut off when you apply brakes
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #354
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Covington, La.
Posts: 3,585
Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
i did not check the tank. This particular tank is an old tank on an older car, so that may very well be the problem. Except it's doing it with my ninja too. Maybe i have 2 bad tanks. I will definitley check for the bubles. I have checked the tanks for leaks and couldn't find any. But the bubbles would mean i have a leak right?

I will be at watson for the night race saturday. You going to be there? I hope it's better lighted.
I have a wedding to go to saturday, so no racing for me. Im sure someone will be out there that will be able to help you track down the problem. It really sounds like there is an air leak somewhere causein an irratic tune.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #355
Tech Fanatic
 
J.Sears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Versailles KY
Posts: 837
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
Aside from idle screw check your tank. Are you seeing any bubbles in you lines?
what does it mean when you have air gaps or bubbles in your fuel lines?
J.Sears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #356
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Covington, La.
Posts: 3,585
Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Sears View Post
what does it mean when you have air gaps or bubbles in your fuel lines?
It means you have a air leak somewhere in the fuel system.

dreaux i may be out there saturday. the wedding isnt till next weekend. i thought it was this weekend.
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #357
Tech Master
 
jnslprd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,188
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
your idle gap is probably too big and your tune is way out of whack because of it. close your gap to about 1MM and retune
i think thats the answer right there. also check the idle screw, my ninja feels very easy to turn which worries me.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #358
Tech Elite
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 2,725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
causein
honestly....
__________________
-Crash
Upgrade RC www.upgrade-rc.com
imaxx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #359
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Covington, La.
Posts: 3,585
Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
honestly....
Don't hate me cause you aint me
micrors4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #360
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

what brand of fuel do you run ? some fuels idle very poorly..... This last weekend one of the locals was having issues with 2 of my modified engines...originally he blamed the engines, however once I got my hands on it we found his fuel was the problem...He was running the new Blue Thunder Race and having nothing but issues, i switched him over to Odonell and the issues went away....Not all fuel is the same...I have had nothing but issues with BLue Thunder and Sidewinder.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:13 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net