R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #211
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
I run 3 degree rear toe in and 1 degree front toe out and about 1 degree negative camber in rear and about 2 degrees negative camber in front. This works for me but others may be different of course.
can you explain negative camber??? is that the top of the tire leaning in or out??? And how do you measure the degrees???? I don't have the proper measuring tool.

I just changed my diff fluid for the first time after about 2 gallons. YYYYUUUUKKKKKK!!!! smells very bad and thicker then 20,000 oil!!! do i have to replace the gaskets???? I should use brake cleaner on the gears???? what about the o-rings? are they still good. I know most of you replace them, but i would have to order them. They should still be good huh???

Have a cracked front shock tower
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #212
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to CJ Weaver

The gaskets should be fine, but if you wish to replace them, go right ahead. You can use motor spray to dissolve the grease on the gears but I have found that WD40 dissolves grease even better than motor spray. The O-Rings will be fine as long as you don't get motor spray on them and let them swell.

By the way, you can get a camber gauge at your local hobby shop for a few dollars.
CJ Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #213
Tech Addict

Oh, and Negative camber is when the top of the tire is leaning inward towards the car. On all of my cars, I start with a base setting of -1 Camber in the front and -2 Camber in the rear. This is a good starting point in my opinion, and you can make adjustments from there.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #214
Tech Elite

this is'nt grease. More like butter When you say motor spray you mean nitro blast???

oh and thanx alot CJ
Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

do yourself a favor and get some naptha from a hardware store. Put the diff internals in it and swish them arround. The parts will come out clean.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #216
Tech Addict

Yeah, Nitro Blast/Motor Spray, it is pretty much the same thing. But like Micro said, Naptha works too, but Nitro Blast and WD40 works in a pinch.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #217
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I find using nitro cleaner for diff's is a waste...to properly clean and maintain the diff's you physically need to look at each gear as a broken tooth or chipped tooth can lead to Bad thing's down the road......Naptha or Iosol is what i use and a tea dunker do the job in minutes.

as for what exactly camber is.....I suggest finding the Hudy Set up manual and reading it front to back....you might not understand some of the theory behind the adjustment's....but you'll have they initial knowledge on what does what..the only way your going to know what is what is to read and talk set-up with fellow racer's....Ive learned Oodles in the last year or so about set-up and what does what.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #218
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I find using nitro cleaner for diff's is a waste...to properly clean and maintain the diff's you physically need to look at each gear as a broken tooth or chipped tooth can lead to Bad thing's down the road......Naptha or Iosol is what i use and a tea dunker do the job in minutes.

as for what exactly camber is.....I suggest finding the Hudy Set up manual and reading it front to back....you might not understand some of the theory behind the adjustment's....but you'll have they initial knowledge on what does what..the only way your going to know what is what is to read and talk set-up with fellow racer's....Ive learned Oodles in the last year or so about set-up and what does what.
dreaux- I have a copy of the hudy manual that integra is talking abuot. I will give it to you when i see you at the track. It explains every adjustment there is.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #219
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
dreaux- I have a copy of the hudy manual that integra is talking abuot. I will give it to you when i see you at the track. It explains every adjustment there is.

thx Micro...it will at least give him the idea of what is what.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #220
Tech Elite

I should be there this weekend.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #221
Tech Elite

Im going to be at the lake bash this weekend. Wont be playing with RC cars.

boats and hoes.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #222
Tech Elite

enjoy yourself indeed

I will be in florida the week after that. Eventually if it ever stops raining, I will be there and hopefully a friend of mine and some of your guys too
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #223
Tech Elite

if you would like you could PM me your mailing address and i can send it to you.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #224
Tech Elite

cool.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #225
Tech Elite

rebuilding my diffs, did front and rear, went to put the center back together and can't find the o-ring that goes on the outdrive shaft on the inside of the spur gear. I have a smaller one (i think it's for the shocks) i can put it on but when i turn the outdrive it's a little tighter then normal. Can i still use it?