R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #166
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wouldnt send it anywhere until you have someone that knows how to tune it checks it for you. After reading many of your threads and posts I would just about guarantee its the tune.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
Get an Axial .28 or something similar... Hard-ish on fuel, but a reliable engine for a budget price, and you can learn to tune on that, that way, your nice .21 stays nice until you get tuning down

Also, tuning by sound only works for some people, others need to tune by smoke, or feel, and most by temp.

Not everyone is sensitive to sound
when you are tuning to sound you are also looking for the right amount of smoke and power. You cant tune a motor to just sound.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #168
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
I wouldnt send it anywhere until you have someone that knows how to tune it checks it for you. After reading many of your threads and posts I would just about guarantee its the tune.
His engine needs to be checked and sealed..He cant do that himself, plus the faster he gets the V-spec out of his hands the less likely he is to ruin it more
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #169
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
His engine needs to be checked and sealed..He cant do that himself, plus the faster he gets the V-spec out of his hands the less likely he is to ruin it more
yesterday i would argue the same thing. but last night i checked my clutch and everything. Backed it out to factory settings. VERY rich. This is where i mess up. I had to be very patient to get it started (doesn't like to start on factory settings) set my idle screw. Did figure eights spitting smoke and fuel till it got up to 180 (as high as it would go). then tuned the HSN FIRST. That has been a big mistake for me in the past i would try to tune both at the same time even though i new better. Tuned it down a hour at a time till i got good but not superb top end and the engine in the 220 range. YAY!!! i am getting the hang of it. Time for the bottom end. Didn't need much there just a couple of turns and it was a monster again!!! I usually overdo the low end. So there ya go, everything is just wonderfull agian. So until my next screwup i will see ya later and thanks to all!!!!! going to the track now!!!:t ire::tir e:
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
when you are tuning to sound you are also looking for the right amount of smoke and power. You cant tune a motor to just sound.
With my 2.5, I can tell just from the sound, if it's too rich, or too lean... But only at idle and full throttle, after a couple seconds... It takes a bit to wind up in my STR.
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #171
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ephidelt490

Tuning to temp is fine if you are driving your TMaxx through the parking lot. Tuning an engine to temp on a race track is just stupid.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #172
Tech Elite

Just got back. I am starting to realize how easy tunning really is. My friend (who has a mbx5) finally came out with me and spent the day. He has been doing it for about 15 years. There is absolutley nothing wrong with my car or engine. Its funny cause i ended up buying the exact same engine, radio and car (well mine is a 6) and i didn't even mean too, so we didn't miss a beat. Yeah i dont mind the temps to much but every now and then i would check when i would fuel my tank or check it to get my temps up. and usually when i would check it was after i was satisfied with a good trail of smoke or a good crisp sound when i rev it off the starter box. so yeah tunning to temp is stupid but when you are a beginner its good to have it to help you go in the right direction until you get the hang of it. I don't think i will need this thread anymore, besides i know when it is getting to hot or if it needs more gas. anyway i think i can finally close this thread. THanx to everybody who has helped me and now if i talk it will be mostly about setup, and things of that nature (most which i will take to the mugen thread)

don't get mad if i ask questions sometimes random and off the wall that is just the way i am. I will use the search function but sometimes i have to sift through alot of stuff to find what you are looking for, but i will try.

Its funny cause yesterday i was sure my car was done and was fed up. And today everything came together like i never thought it would. Just funny
Old 05-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #173
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

this is to bad that you will be closing this thread
i have gotten a kick out of reading all of your posts
it has been like a daily soap opra or car crash
you had to see what would happen next now that
your a pro at it i for one will miss your the daily
highjinks
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #174
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thought so !! it was the tune..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #175
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
thought so !! it was the tune..
LOL, Glad you were right..Maybe some peace now
Old 05-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #176
Tech Master

don't close this thread!!!

it's fun to read, plus i'm sure you will come up with more questions..

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #177
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
don't close this thread!!!

it's fun to read, plus i'm sure you will come up with more questions..
ok. steering servo. lots of play, more then when i got it. I would think some play is normal. Is that right??? It's a jrZ650 it was only about 60 bucks, i will get a hitech when i get the money. I think i have a couple more weekends left on it then i have to junk it, cuz thats what it is.

Also the friend i was telling you about has a ferroni (spelling?) center diff with a 26 tooth spur that he puts with his .30 engine and a 12 tooth spur but when he races he has a normal .21 with 13/46 setup. I have never heard of this before. Is this normal?? He also has titanium sealed bearings throughout his car and feronni aluminum shock towers. Pretty slick. Is it the less teeth you have the faster you go?? I thought the bigger clutch bell the more top end you have and the the smaller more bottom end and the smaller spur more top???
Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #178
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
ok. steering servo. lots of play, more then when i got it. I would think some play is normal. Is that right??? It's a jrZ650 it was only about 60 bucks, i will get a hitech when i get the money. I think i have a couple more weekends left on it then i have to junk it, cuz thats what it is.

Also the friend i was telling you about has a ferroni (spelling?) center diff with a 26 tooth spur that he puts with his .30 engine and a 12 tooth spur but when he races he has a normal .21 with 13/46 setup. I have never heard of this before. Is this normal?? He also has titanium sealed bearings throughout his car and feronni aluminum shock towers. Pretty slick. Is it the less teeth you have the faster you go?? I thought the bigger clutch bell the more top end you have and the the smaller more bottom end and the smaller spur more top???
Going down to a 26t spur is just like going up (ALOT) on the clutch bell. He does this to counteract the huge .30 engine, but I have no idea why he would run anything other than .21 for practice.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #179
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ephidelt490

Dude, a .30 is for sled pulling or hillbilly drag racing.

Your MBX6 with stock gearing is great for a VZB. The stock towers are fine as well; lighter and plenty strong. Fioroni makes great stuff, and back in the day it was practically necessary to make the K-cars upper echelon. Now a days, the cars are super competitive with the plastic/carbon fiber components.

Buy a Futaba BLS352, or if you want to save a few bucks on a great servo, get a Hobbico CS170 (identical to a Hitec 7995). The servo you have is a budget analog servo, which works just fine, but are a lot slower than the digital servos of today.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #180
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Going down to a 26t spur is just like going up (ALOT) on the clutch bell. He does this to counteract the huge .30 engine, but I have no idea why he would run anything other than .21 for practice.
he keeps his vzb in his car now pretty much all the time. He hardly ever races anymore. When his kid comes to town he pulls the car out. And to help me of course. And yes he used to drag race.