R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The only thing I hate about running nitro is the fear of losing pinch after every run, and you'll need a back up motor to bash. Unlike electric.

As for electric you just have to keep up with the latest technology (no tuning needels/pipe/glowplug selection here) whci also means forking up some cash.
cheapskate.brok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

On the cost issue......You guys know that they still make 1/10th electric cars right?
BIG RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

I have both and although I got started back into this, after a near 20 year hiatus, by running nitro, the appeal of electric grows on me more and more everyday. Problem is, 8th electric doesn't have many entries in my area just yet. When all the bigger nitro guys come over to the electric 8th scene, I'll covert. Well that or this fall, whichever comes first. LOL.

The money and power thing can be argued all day but both have their own followings for the same reasons. While I love the sound and smell of summer nitro outdoor racing, I surely didn't miss it much while racing electric indoor over the fall and spring.

To be completely honest, I was really looking forward to getting my RC8 back out this spring. The sound, smell and power always seems to wind me up. Well, it didn't this year. Just not all hyped up for it. Clutch bell bearings, fuel, glow plugs, cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. I guess time will tell if my feelings for 8th nitro come around but its not looking to good right now.
Hate2Looz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Electric is cleaner, just as fast if your running 4wheel mod, and in my opinion is cheaper to stay competitive.
AE BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #50
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was one of the first Brushless buggy guys around where i live made it out of a kyosho about 4 years ago man it was cool makeing everything work before there where conversion kits LOL i liked how i could hook up my esc to my laptop and start tuning for traction thats very very cool.
No longer have that buggy wish i did tho i was proud of that thing
With that said tho i do give a slight edge to nitro its what i run now and will from now on for 1/8 but 2wd elec 1/10 buggy are king in 1/10 IMO. and on road i like elec for winter raceing indoors.I think they will allways have there place but IMO 1/8 elec wont fully catch on and will fade away in a few years.Just dont see enough prople wanting to switch.Maybe ill be wrong???? and we all will be raceing elec in 10 yrs LOL
buggydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

At a recent RC Pro race they had the normal Fueled classes and then the new electric class. For me, the electrics didn't look any better or worse, just same thing, no noise. I won't run out and buy one from what I saw. I think it could be just a fad, but I could be wrong. The excitement factor of a screaming engine just isn't there, the run times are limited, and the chassis to me still for the most part looked tacky. The Caster car is probably the best laid out of them all except for the bigger motors not fitting yet. With a 5mm change in the chassis this will go away. Everyone else is stacking batteries two high on one side or spreading them out to the edges of the mud guards.

For now in our area, nitro is where it is at and always will be. Electrics will probably spike for a while then fade or stay the same.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i was so glad when nitro became the standard. i was tired of batteries, speed controls ect. i dont mean any disrespect to the 1/8th electric guys but i just dont get it. there just doesnt seem to be much of a reason for it. mybe in a few years if it sticks around the technology will evolve into something better but for now im just shrugging my shoulders.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Both are cool. Drive whatever floats your boat. I have a love hate feeling regarding nitros. Sometimes I love the sound and smoke, but there are other times that you just want to drop kick a guy gunning his car on the starter box while you are trying to have a conversation.

Electric for me was a way to enjoy 1/8 racing without the nitro tuning and pitfalls. I rather focus on my driving and setup than dealing with tuning an engine.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about the eletric 1/8s.

Runtime: 20 minutes mains are possible with the proper setup. Most can easily make 15 minute mains.

Cost; No different that a high quality nitro setup. Lipos can be bought for $100 bucks a pop or less that are adequate for the average club racer. You just need to know where to shop. Motor and ESC $275-$360.

Performance: Electrics accelerate significantly faster than a nitro and can have significantly higher top end. However, most folks who are serious about racing set them up to run right around the same top speed as a nitro which is around 36-42 mph. however, the instant acceleration does give electrics an advantage in some situations sine no run up is needed on some jumps.

I race with nitros in my neck of the woods and do ok. Regardless if the powerplant is electric or nitro, it boils down to 95% driver.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmayor View Post
At a recent RC Pro race they had the normal Fueled classes and then the new electric class. For me, the electrics didn't look any better or worse, just same thing, no noise. I won't run out and buy one from what I saw. I think it could be just a fad, but I could be wrong. The excitement factor of a screaming engine just isn't there, the run times are limited, and the chassis to me still for the most part looked tacky. The Caster car is probably the best laid out of them all except for the bigger motors not fitting yet. With a 5mm change in the chassis this will go away. Everyone else is stacking batteries two high on one side or spreading them out to the edges of the mud guards.

For now in our area, nitro is where it is at and always will be. Electrics will probably spike for a while then fade or stay the same.
It's no fad.. it's the future. More and more tracks are going to be subject to noise restrictions and other countries are already being pinched by emissions laws. I could see a state like CA banning nitro engines some day. Electric 1/8th scale is in its infancy and it's already so damn good. At better technology gives us higher capacity packs with lower weight they're only going to get better. And just for the record, I can run ~22 minutes at race pace with a 5S 4100mAh 1700kV setup. A battery change for a 30 minute main equals the 3-4 pit stops the nitro cars will make.

I just switched from nitro. I was so happy to say goodbye to clutches, fuel, receiver packs, and starter boxes. When nitro used to be $10/gallon it was alright, but at $25-30/gal it's just not cost effective any more.

Lastly.. someone earlier said that when you run electric you can focus more on your car setup than maintenance just to keep it running. I agree with that... since I know how my car will perform motor wise every time I put it on the track I can now focus on the suspension and diff setup. And having 100% torque at any point on the throttle is amazing!

Nitro is what it is, electric is better.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was a nitro guy at one point, now strictly electric. Before lipos were out and brushless they were a pain to mess with and run times sucked. Now with all the new advances...they are awesome. On my E-revo with twin packs I can run almost 32mins on our local track which is a large style motorcross track. My truggy's run the same and weight is not an issue. Both my truggy's are the same weight as the nitro counterpart. The punch is much better on electrics and tight tracks with big jumps which are tough for the nitros are easy with brushless.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty2 View Post
I was just wondering, I wasn't trying to start any fights, guys.
...Dude, questions like this always starts the never ending electric vs nitro wars...lol...Both have their advantages and disadvantages ...It all comes down to Driver preference. I prefer electric...With the exceptions of actual racing incident breaks, for "ME," electric is way less stress...A lot of the guys I know that run nitro have years of experience, so they know what they're doing. When it comes to the novice to mid ground nitro racer I often see frustraition. With the new lipo/Brushless technology, electric has received a boost, for its smoother, faster, and run times are MUCH longer. I like Nitro as well, but I don't look at it as "realism" as far as motor sports...If I want realism, I'll jump in a 1:1 ....Both electric and nitro are great to have and offer a lot of fun!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #57
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

E8 sucks. You ever watch a e8 race? Its like watching paint dry.
...oh yeah, why do e8 guys always try to start out of pit lane, stop in the middle of the track and try to drag race everybody? If you are worried we wont know you are running electric, dont be. We can tell by your skirt.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
funny, my buddy and I where just running an electric race and suddenly a lipo car on track catches fire, flames smoke everywhere, man THE STINK

We were joking about wishing for the nitro smell

I also had fires with lipo's. If you don't charge them right lipo's can be dangerous. Here is a pic of an old rc18b from me which catched fire

I was able to throw the car out of the barn otherwise all my r/c stuff caught fire and we are talking about thousands of euro's in equipment, boats cars, materials for building boats, molds for boats radio's etc ! Never had a fire with a nitro!!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Most of the ones who switch can't tune in the first place. I'm not so sure about the less problems since the torq of electric is harder on the drivetrain
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #60
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i drive both. livin in az im lucky as have two premier facilities in the country, the nitro pit and srs..

if i had to choose one or the other it would be nitro all the way. there are some days i just wanna drive and not worry thats why i have electric. i suck at both so i drive losi so i dont have to replace parts HAHA

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote