R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If you love the Hobby and all that comes with it, go Nitro..if you just want to play and race then go electric...Radio Shack is having a sale right now
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

yeah this discussion will most definitly stir the pot a bit

STRC LCG Slash looking for electronics

1985 Associated RC 10 Novak t4 Trinity Monster Horsepower 27T futaba Jr
gkn0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty2 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would go to electric after running nitro. The batteries last like 15 laps MAX and with nitro you just fuel and go. I don't get it.

If anyone could help me understand I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
People are lazy. One day people won't even drive the car they'll just watch it drive it self.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
If you love the Hobby and all that comes with it, go Nitro..if you just want to play and race then go electric...Radio Shack is having a sale right now

I love this. I gotta save this as a quote from you Jaz
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Tech Regular

They both have there pros and cons. I am running electric bug and trug at present time. You can run two classes at a club race with electric much easier then nitro so I get I get more bang for the buck (track time). The lap times are very close for N and E where i race (ARC). The E and N's run together and most mains are 15min which is not a problem for the e cars with a mandatory 5 sec pit stop. I believe the e cars are cheaper to run over the long haul with MUCH less maintenance therefore able to run two classes at the cub races.

I will agree the nitros are more real but I can overlook that and simply enjoy the competition and track time. As a side comment there is no way an electric 1:1 car will ever get the juices flowing like blown hemi!
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
They both have there pros and cons. I am running electric bug and trug at present time. You can run two classes at a club race with electric much easier then nitro so I get I get more bang for the buck (track time). The lap times are very close for N and E where i race (ARC). The E and N's run together and most mains are 15min which is not a problem for the e cars with a mandatory 5 sec pit stop. I believe the e cars are cheaper to run over the long haul with MUCH less maintenance therefore able to run two classes at the cub races.

I will agree the nitros are more real but I can overlook that and simply enjoy the competition and track time. As a side comment there is no way an electric 1:1 car will ever get the juices flowing like blown hemi!
Most of the points series where I race are 20 - 30 min mains. How can a lipo keep up with that? And cheaper I dont know about that. The E setup is near the 600 mark, you can get a nice nitro engine for half of that. The lipos are 150 and up and dont you need 2 of them just to run that 15 mins? Then you need a special charger to charge that big lipo. So tell me again how is the E route cheaper?
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkn0315 View Post
both electric and nitro are cool my opinion
I agree: I have both nitro and electrics. In boatracing electrics is the way to go fast. All speedrecords are held by electrics, not nitro or gas. In onroad racing I have chased and run out 1/8 scale with my 1/10 brushless. I switched back to nitro 1/8 offroad nitro because it the sound and the smell of nitro that I am addicted of. In boatracing I run fast electrics and 1/8 nitro hydroplanes.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've tried both, love the aspects of both. But to me electrics seem less headache.

No additional "pit" person!

Spend 90% of your time tuning the "Car,Truggy" to the track. Not 90% of your time adjusting needle valves to make the engine run smooth. (Climate always changes no matter where your at).

As stated before. No "modded" engines in electric.

Just my .02 worth.
SwampDog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive been running brushless and lipo offroad for about 2 years now. I got bored with it because like the guy above said, You just show up and race without any maintenance in between rounds. I enjoy wrenching as much as racing. Thats what makes it fun to me. To test both my driving skills and mechanical skills. I bought my first nitro a few weeks ago and have raced it one night. Ive burned almost 1 gallon so far. To me NITRO takes more skill and is more of a challenge to me. People say nitro is too much of a pain but if your engine is tuned right then it shouldnt be a pain at all. Just fuel and go, with minor tweaks here and there. My electric buggy and truck are sitting on the shelf. Im not saying I will never race them again. All Im saying is NITRO is the shiznit !!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I've run both. They're both great in their ways. I have a soft spot for electric since I ran 1/10 electric off-road for 18 years before getting into 1/8 nitro.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Most of the points series where I race are 20 - 30 min mains. How can a lipo keep up with that? And cheaper I dont know about that. The E setup is near the 600 mark, you can get a nice nitro engine for half of that. The lipos are 150 and up and dont you need 2 of them just to run that 15 mins? Then you need a special charger to charge that big lipo. So tell me again how is the E route cheaper?
Nitro engines dont last as long as batteries. People at my track run only one battery and get 20 mins of run time. I don't know 40.00 for a gallon of gas. If you practice alot like I did I was buying 1 gallon a month. I was running a truggy and a revo at the same time. So make it 80.00 month. Then there all the enigne bearings I was buying thats not cheap. Glow plugs are not cheap now. Clutchs for the truggy were not cheap. Just off the top of my head. Some of items are race spec not RTR spec. If I missed something let me know. My two cents.

Losi 8E ecs and motor 700.
Batteries x 2 300.
Charger 140.
Radio 200.
servo 150.

Losi 8B 625.
Good Nirto engine 300.
Tuned pipe 100.
Radio 200.
Servo x2 300.
Starter Box 70.
Fuel 40.
Reciver pack 25.
Batteries for box 30.
Glow Lighter 20.

Justin Gilkison

Last edited by jwg191; 05-14-2009 at 11:52 AM.
jwg191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Yes - electric maybe faster than nitro, but on a track - no way - plus it cost more to run 1/8 electri at - at lease 100 a pack and can only run for 20 maybe mins - no way
Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
Tech Elite

To me racing or even just driving a Nitro is NOT an option.

Honestly, how many off you nitro guys can start your engine, leave it running idle 3 minutes and then gun it over the strait?

Blipping your throttle true every corner to keep it running looks and sounds amaturistic.

NO torque is avaible were it is most needed, this is at 0 RPM to get the car off the line.

And the stupid noise, truelly awfull till you get the Nitro-headache from the fumes then it's BYBY. cant stand it.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK.hardcore View Post

Honestly, how many off you nitro guys can start your engine, leave it running idle 3 minutes and then gun it over the strait?
I can.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK.hardcore View Post
To me racing or even just driving a Nitro is NOT an option.

Blipping your throttle true every corner to keep it running looks and sounds amaturistic.

NO torque is avaible were it is most needed, this is at 0 RPM to get the car off the line.

And the stupid noise, truelly awfull till you get the Nitro-headache from the fumes then it's BYBY. cant stand it.
The fumes are the best part.
eighty2 is offline   Reply With Quote