Wiki Posts
Search

TEMP gun/25% questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default TEMP gun/25% questions

Have a Raytek Mini-temp gun... Where the heck do i need to point the laser to find the hot spots on the glowplug? I use it within about three inches. I guess the temp is not read at the point of the laser? I checked the side of the crank and it was 30 degrees hotter than the glowplug... Just wondering. Also, I was given some Byrons Prodriver 25%. I switched to a McCoy MC8 in my new WS7III. The engine was running great top and low end, but didn't reach above 190F. Should I run a little hotter plug even with the 25%? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Forget the laser exists. Point the actual sensor at the plug.

If your hauling butt and its 190 then you just found the holy grail of fuel. More power and lower temps.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by piranha21
Have a Raytek Mini-temp gun... Where the heck do i need to point the laser to find the hot spots on the glowplug? I use it within about three inches. I guess the temp is not read at the point of the laser? I checked the side of the crank and it was 30 degrees hotter than the glowplug... Just wondering. Also, I was given some Byrons Prodriver 25%. I switched to a McCoy MC8 in my new WS7III. The engine was running great top and low end, but didn't reach above 190F. Should I run a little hotter plug even with the 25%? Thanks!
Like Alan D. said, put the sensor as close to the glow plug as possible. That means pressing the sensor against the top of the cooling head, pointed down at the glow plug... ignoring the laser.

It's been my experience that the glow plug is the hottest measurable spot on the engine. The case itself is cooler.

If your engine is performing great (not too rich) and you're measuring 190ºF at the plug, you may not be getting a proper reading. People use my Exergen to compare their inexpensive gauges against and often find that theirs are reading up to 30ºF cooler than they should be. Even the $50 Ofna/whatever-brand-is-on-them shouldn't be that far off. The problem usually is a dirty sensor. Clean it out with a cloth so that they shine like a showcar chrome bumper and you'll get more accurate readings.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Byrons definitely lowers your engine temps.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

+1
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I had a inaccurate rite temp gun with the laser deal and everything. It was 20 to 30 degrees cold. The odonnells temp gun is cheap and so far has been the most accurate. The losi temp/ tuning driver one was very accurate and I lost it at a race, the next losi temp/ tuning driver was 20+ cold. Test your temp gun in a 50/50 ice and water bath and it should read near 0 F. If it does not time to get a new temp gun. I havent dropped the couple hundred on the fancy exergen temp gun but just knowing if your temp gun is accurate or not will greatly help you. The bad losi temp/ driver just sits in my box now. Its not worth it to be off by 30 degrees.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

why would a ice water bath come up as 0 F?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

well that stinkin $90 raytek is brand new. That was the first time using it.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by piranha21
well that stinkin $90 raytek is brand new. That was the first time using it.
And that doesn't mean its broken. Point the actual infrared sensor at the glowplug, the laser doesnt measure anything. Try and line up the big hole of the raytek with the glowplug 'hole' in the engine head.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Just hold the trigger down and vary the placement and angle slightly until you find the hottest spot.

Ed M.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

I do like above.I hold the temp gun perpendicular to the head real close & hover around & use the highest temp I get with the trigger pulled in.I dont know if my temp gun is acurate & dont care,I know when the eng is running good & what ever the gun says then is my base reading & only use the gun to check when something feels wrong or cant hear car.Gun to track performance not to tune to basicly.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

my raytec is 1 degree off from the exergen, so it is not one of those cheap guns. if your gun has a temp hold check all over and pick the highest. side of the block under the cooling head is pretty accurate also depending on the color and plating of the block. smoke and sound are far more accurate than any of the temp guns.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

It doesnt matter how good your temp gun is if you know how to tune. Tune youe engine for good power with smoke and THEN temp it for a guage. Watever it says , high or low you can use it as a gauge to know where the sweet spot is.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jnslprd
my raytec is 1 degree off from the exergen, so it is not one of those cheap guns. if your gun has a temp hold check all over and pick the highest. side of the block under the cooling head is pretty accurate also depending on the color and plating of the block. smoke and sound are far more accurate than any of the temp guns.
+1

Smoke and sound are WAAAYYYY more accurate than temp. Tune it based on those 2 things and then check your temp. The temp is kind of a "double check" system!!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Last weekend at the track I had my RB S5 tuned pretty well. After the main I pulled it off and my buddy temped it with his gun. Said 190. So I hit it with mine and it said 240!!!! Temps are Chit! Just a benchmark to work off of. Pay no attention to the number. It's a hard habit to break though I know. You may not know it but you probably know how to tune if you know what a good mill sounds like. The temp gun is like a validation. A second opinion.