Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
piston/sleeve question >

piston/sleeve question

piston/sleeve question

Old 05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default piston/sleeve question

I thought i had my piston in backwards well it;s not. My tune was pretty far out of wack the other day, went back to factory setting and had trouble getting it to idle. If it did it would stall out mid speed/backfiring. I did everything you could imagine with the tunning needles. now i am inspecting my piston/sleeve/crank. the crank seems to be fine. But when i push the piston up it goes to the ring at tdc fairly easily but no further. Does that sound like i still have compression??? Is this my problem. Or do i need a mechanic to tune it??? I know i ask alot of questions. And thank you all for walking me through this. Please don't be hard on me. I am really trying.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Put everything back together, install a plug then holding the engine by the shaft see how long it can hold up it's own weight. If it stays up for 6 second or more your compression is fine, if it flops right over then you need a pinch. Do you have a track nearby where you can maybe get some hands on help?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also, what engine do you have?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

shit. How could i be so stupid. You will never guess.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

my glow plug is completly FRIED!!!! Barely gets warm with a new battery. Went through several batery's still nothing but gets warm. It's the plug that came with the engine. Has almost 2 gallons on it. Os vspec. Can't believe i did not check that first. I feel like a idiot AGAIN!
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

That'll do it everytime
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The flop trst really doesn't apply to all engines. OS engines usually don't have the compression that others do, but they will run for gallons with that amount of compression. My v-spec won't pass the flop test, and it runs better than ever. Infact it wouldn't pass the flop test around the 3 gallon mark, and it is still running strong at 8 gallons. There are a LOT of factors that can make an engine run crappy that need to be considered befor you atart panicing about something wrong with your engine. First off is the tune. Then there are things like glow plug(your case) and an air leak. Clutch condition, air filter, glow ignitor, fuel, etc.... If you get all of those resolved and the engine is still running like crap, then you can start to worry about something wrong internally.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

is a occasional air bubble (small ones every once in a while) normal???
Old 05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dreaux, you sure are entertaining thats for sure..
Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

i screwed the nut that holds the flywheel on. and held it with my wrench it stood up for like 20 seconds. Also is ther supposed to be a small amout of play on the shaft??? when i push it in there is some play, it's very small. About as much as a fully shimed clutch with 1 shim missing or about the amount that is with the diff inside the gearbox.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadracer43
LMFAO @ the above. Was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of me when I fell in love with RC. Atleast I know you really love the hobby.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roadracer43
you should ask my girlfreind how entertaining i am but hey i figure i will keep all my b.s. in one thread of mine every day. instead of starting 10 threads. Maybe i can get a sticky???? J/K
Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vladconnery
LMFAO @ the above. Was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of me when I fell in love with RC. Atleast I know you really love the hobby.
this is great. I think it's pretty cool you guys think it's funny. But can someone answer my questions???? I just took the sleeve out with a screwdriver and left a big scratch on it. Is that bad???

J/K
Old 05-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dreaux
i screwed the nut that holds the flywheel on. and held it with my wrench it stood up for like 20 seconds. Also is ther supposed to be a small amout of play on the shaft??? when i push it in there is some play, it's very small. About as much as a fully shimed clutch with 1 shim missing or about the amount that is with the diff inside the gearbox.
can someone at least answer this question about my shaft????
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A small amount of play is normal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.