Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
serious question >

serious question

serious question

Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default serious question

please don't laugh. But can you put a piston in backwards????
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

yes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

ok. so will it ruin it??? if it was???
Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

but if you put it in backwards from backwards, it would then be correct.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
but if you put it in backwards from backwards, it then would be correct.
i see what your saying. Ha Ha. What would the symptoms be if it was backwards. My engine is getting worse and worse. Now it won't evern idle. I took it apart last week. Have not run it much. Have i destroyed my engine if it was backwards??? My engine has seemed to GAIN compression. Now that aint right.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

No. It just won't run right. Put the longer part of the piston toward the exhaust port and make sure IT IS NOT AT BDC and place your backplate on.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

would this explain why it stalls alot at mid to high speeds and imposible to tune??? also it seems virtually impossible to put it on at bdc.

i feel like a jackass. I am pretty sure it is backwards
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

If you thinks its backwards open it up and check it. It should be easy to put it at bottom dead center.
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alan D.
No. It just won't run right. Put the longer part of the piston toward the exhaust port and make sure IT IS NOT AT BDC and place your backplate on.
is this why i have been getting a enourmous amout of fuel leaking between my manifold and engine???? Lots of blubbery rich build up of fuel??? My car has also been backfiring???? have you ever heard of a car that detonated in the muffler or outside of it???? Man i have created one helluva piece of work.
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No it shouldn't run if it is in backwards. At least on my motors. One side of the piston is usually longer than the other and fits into a slot on the backplate. Cant remember if the slot is for the short side or the long side though.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

i am confused. First you say don't put it at bdc. the you say to put it at bottom dead center. are you saying that put it on at tdc then before i close the backplate put it at bdc and mark the flywheel or something?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
is this why i have been getting a enourmous amout of fuel leaking between my manifold and engine???? Lots of blubbery rich build up of fuel??? My car has also been backfiring???? have you ever heard of a car that detonated in the muffler or outside of it???? Man i have created one helluva piece of work.
Check your gaskets make sure they're not torn. The longer portion of the piston is meant to cover the exhaust port on the compression stroke so it is possible that if it is backwards then the fuel that is in the crank case is coming out the pipe. If it pools around you manifold and block you probably have a torn gasket.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
i am confused. First you say don't put it at bdc. the you say to put it at bottom dead center. are you saying that put it on at tdc then before i close the backplate put it at bdc and mark the flywheel or something?
When assembling your motor make sure it is not at BDC. Once assembled it should be easy to place the piston at BDC.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fazznick
No it shouldn't run if it is in backwards. At least on my motors. One side of the piston is usually longer than the other and fits into a slot on the backplate. Cant remember if the slot is for the short side or the long side though.
Mine ran
Not good though
Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Check your gaskets make sure they're not torn. The longer portion of the piston is meant to cover the exhaust port on the compression stroke so it is possible that if it is backwards then the fuel that is in the crank case is coming out the pipe. If it pools around you manifold and block you probably have a torn gasket.
yes i have been shreding gaskets. i am on my third pair in a week. My piston is in backwards. Fuck.

how bad have i ruined my engine???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.