R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default I need help..Gear ratio 101 school me

HI Guys I need help..I`m trying to get more acceleration out of my buggy...

Currently I am running 13 tooth pinion and a 48 tooth spur.....

My ring and pinions gear are 13 and 43..Here is what I`m trying to change to get a little more umph!!

I would like to continue to run a 13/14 tooth clutch bell if possible

Here is what I`m looking at using

10 tooth pinion and a 45 tooth ring gear with a 46 tooth spur.. but I would have to run a 17 tooth clutch bell which I don`t want to do

My other thought is to run a

13 tooth pinoin gear and a 45 tooth ring gear with a 46 or 48 tooth spur and a 13/14 tooth clutch bell

I know a fair amount about racing but when it comes to gear ratio I`m lost

I know that going up on the spur= more accelration and going down increasing top end speed and visa versa on the clutch bell..Its just the opposite.....

My main concern here is to get a good final drive ratio as close to the newer buggies as possible

I like my kyosho 777 wc so much I don`t want to get rid of it..Nothing handles like it and if I could get better acceleration I would be set

So my diff pinion gear options are 10 and 13
Ring gear options are 43 or 45
Spur gear options are 46/48...

And I would like to use a 13 tooth clutch bell

IF you want to know why I don`t want to use a larger clutch bell its because everytime I use a larger bell my clutch wears faster

Thanks for taking the time to help me out
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GEARING GOLDEN RULES

To gear up and give your car a numerically lower gear ratio that will make it go farther for each revolution of the pinion (or clutch-bell) gear, add teeth to the pinion or subtract teeth from the spur gear.

To gear down and give your car a numerically higher gear ratio that will make it go less far for each revolution of the pinion (or clutch-bell) gear, subtract teeth from the pinion or add teeth to the spur gear.

Changing the pinion's tooth count has a greater effect than an equal change on the spur gear. When changing gearing, don't jump up or down more than two teeth at a time on the pinion or clutch bell.

you have the option to use a larger pinion or clutch bell to achieve the gear ratio you need, use it. The greater the tooth count, the better the gear mesh will be. Ideally, you should use a pinion with a minimum of 17 teeth for the best mesh.

Monitor your car's performance when you change gear ratios. If your car suffers poor fuel economy, slow acceleration and high motor/engine temperatures, it is almost certainly over-geared; install a smaller pinion/clutch bell or a larger spur gear.

Stolen From RCcaraction...

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmo...E2EB2635FF6F27