R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Fuel coolers, gimmick? or actually work? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/296374-fuel-coolers-gimmick-actually-work.html)

devilchrist 05-11-2009 05:45 PM

Fuel coolers, gimmick? or actually work?

I've see few coolers from integy as well as others

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCF5&P=FR

Like this one above..

I could if If they really did work, it could lower engine temperature,

any one tried this?

aaron joy 05-11-2009 06:04 PM

I am not sure why they are marketing it as a fuel cooler when RB and NovaRossi brought out a similiar looking item for cooling the exhaust gases coming from the pipe into the fuel tank. Supposedly it helped when the 1/8 scale onroads were struggling to make runtime in qualifing without running out if fuel in the high outside temperature.

Allumina 05-11-2009 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by devilchrist (Post 5799638)
I've see few coolers from integy as well as others

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXCF5&P=FR

Like this one above..

I could if If they really did work, it could lower engine temperature,

any one tried this?

That not what theyre designed to do.

It adds a heatsink to the hot exhaust gas traveling from your muffler, to the topside of the fuel tank, which keeps your fuel cooler...and gives you better fuel mileage. I run the Novarossi ones, it's a great product...especially if you live in a hot climate.

Quad Racer 34 05-11-2009 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Allumina (Post 5799758)

It adds a heatsink to the hot exhaust gas traveling from your muffler, to the topside of the fuel tank, which keeps your fuel cooler...and gives you better fuel mileage. I run the Novarossi ones, it's a great product...especially if you live in a hot climate.

how much is the novarossi one? and how much does it lower the temps?

SpraydbySprague 05-11-2009 06:33 PM

What if you put one on both the pressure and supply lines? :sneaky:

devilchrist 05-11-2009 07:58 PM

I dont' see how this is beneficial,
by lowering the exhaust temp, you're lowering your pressure by ideal gas law pv=nrt

you're just making your engine run leaner, using less fuel by lowering the tank pressure.

however if you cool the fuel going in to your engine it can have dramatic effect of lowering your engine temperature. and liquid do not not change volume drastically with change in temperature.

but it really depends on how much it can cool fuel, if all it does it 1 or 2 degress it's worth less, but 10 degrees? may be worth considering.

Allumina 05-11-2009 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by devilchrist (Post 5800368)
by lowering the exhaust temp, you're lowering your pressure by ideal gas law pv=nrt

you're just making your engine run leaner, using less fuel by lowering the tank pressure.

however if you cool the fuel going in to your engine it can have dramatic effect of lowering your engine temperature. and liquid do not not change volume drastically with change in temperature.

but it really depends on how much it can cool fuel, if all it does it 1 or 2 degress it's worth less, but 10 degrees? may be worth considering.

where they were originally tested, people were getting an extra 60 seconds of runtime.

And im pretty sure you have it wrong...its not lowering the tank pressure, its just pressurizing it with cooler air...thus transferring less heat to your fuel before its picked up and transferred to the engine.

Its a terribly simple concept to grasp, I don't see how people cant connect the dots

madmaxx 05-11-2009 08:22 PM

they help to keep your nitro in your fuel and not in the atmosphere, i do it the cheap way with 2 fuel filter's :)

devilchrist 05-11-2009 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Allumina (Post 5800393)
where they were originally tested, people were getting an extra 60 seconds of runtime.

And im pretty sure you have it wrong...its not lowering the tank pressure, its just pressurizing it with cooler air...thus transferring less heat to your fuel before its picked up and transferred to the engine.

Its a terribly simple concept to grasp, I don't see how people cant connect the dots

that's not possible, it's simple math you drop the temperature of the gas it it loose pressure since volume stays constant,

QUOTE FOM THE novarossi webpage

"The secret behind the 'EGC' is as the name suggests removes some of the heat from the exhaust gas that returns to the fuel tank via the pressure line from the pipe. This lowers the temperature of the fuel and thus increases the runtime."

it COOLs the exhaust temperature, I'm not saying novarossi is lying, but what you're saying is that their product defies physics.

Their ULTIMATE goal is to lower the fuel temperature, so concept is the same, let's not argue about who's right or wrong.

if what you say is true, to be able to get extra 60sec of run time, that's significant.

WHOS wants to volunteer in recording temperature and run times??
looks liek integy and novarossi is exact same except in price.

devilchrist 05-11-2009 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by madmaxx (Post 5800491)
they help to keep your nitro in your fuel and not in the atmosphere, i do it the cheap way with 2 fuel filter's :)

you know you bring up a good point, by cooling the temperature in side the fuel tank it will sustain the nitro mixture more consistant as tank gets low.

hmm... may be run both.. for presure line and fuel line

madmaxx 05-11-2009 08:35 PM

really it's not rocket science, nitro (the alcohol specifically) has a low boiling point and actually is evaporated into the atmosphere by the hot exh gasses. so all you need to do is cool the exh gasses and you will see better performance/mileage :nod:

Gary NJ 05-11-2009 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by devilchrist (Post 5800368)

I've had a conversation with someone who has tested the drop in fuel tank temps with the use of pressure line cooler, and the temperature drop was well over 10 degrees - I don't recall the exact drop, but it was larger than I thought it would be. You are correct - a drop in exhaust gas temp will lower the fuel tank pressure, but that's not really a problem - as the engine works thru its RPM range, the pressure and exhaust gas temp changes from the pipe vary the pressure in the line anyway. You compensate for lower pressure in the tank with a slightly richer carb setting. Having the incoming fuel at a lower temp is a positive, with no negatives.

jpz_67 05-11-2009 10:14 PM

They work. Not saying you will get a minute or two but in all reality 30-45 seconds is definitely possible. In my case I netted about 35 more seconds. May not seem like much but in racing that could be anywhere from 1-2 more laps or even cutting out an extra pitstop.;)

pdmustgt 05-12-2009 12:56 AM

The funny part the carb gets cold when fuel is atomized.

rc-mike 05-12-2009 01:50 AM

I don't know if they work or not but I don't really agree with the pressure loss thing. If it were a closed system I would agree with it but it isn't. The pressure coming from the exhaust is the same so if any pressure was lost in the tank, more would come from the exhaust and equalize it. If it worked the other way you would have a lot more hot water pressure than cold in your house. :)