Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Fuel coolers, gimmick? or actually work? >

Fuel coolers, gimmick? or actually work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel coolers, gimmick? or actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

mike, you're right too.. not a closed system so it's possible theres enough pressure to compensate for the slight temp drop in exhaust temp..

no one really knows until it's field tested in controled environment i guess.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

using a fuel filter actually work's as a pressure store to help maintain the pressure in the system, i don't see how adding a cooler/filter will reduce pressure?

personally i'd rather have my 25% nitro going into my engine instead of some of it being evaporated....

to the comment about the fuel cooling the carb as it atomize's run your RC engine for 5min and temp your carb
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devilchrist
mike, you're right too.. not a closed system so it's possible theres enough pressure to compensate for the slight temp drop in exhaust temp..

no one really knows until it's field tested in controled environment i guess.
well it has people couldnt make 5min at the 1/8th onroad worlds so they came out with this fixed the problem for most because they were getting 4min somthing and making 5min was a must so it has been tested and it works ive been wanting to get some my self but i run the mugen pressure chamber and duno if they will work together
Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Wish we had a tiny little pressure gauge we could put on the fuel line.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madmaxx
using a fuel filter actually work's as a pressure store to help maintain the pressure in the system, i don't see how adding a cooler/filter will reduce pressure?

personally i'd rather have my 25% nitro going into my engine instead of some of it being evaporated....

to the comment about the fuel cooling the carb as it atomize's run your RC engine for 5min and temp your carb
fuel filter yes.. cooler i think no.

cooler is just a straight through aluminum pipe with fins, it should not have any pressure storing capabilities.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Finally one of these things is available from one of big US distributors through Integy. I looking for one of these a couple months ago and none of the distributors the LHS here deals with carried them, but it'll be easy to get one now. I don't like the fact that this Integy part is just a knock off of what Novarossi created, but it is a lot cheaper and easier for me to get.

I'm going to try running one on the fuel and pressure lines.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

fuel filter yes..
gut the filter

cooler is just a straight through aluminum pipe with fins, it should not have any pressure storing capabilities
more reason i guess to run a filter....
Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Do any of you guys who put filters on the exhaust have problems with them clogging up with gunk from the exhaust? I know some people were trying it on the helicopter forums but were having problems with that.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

i run a filter on all the pressure line's of my RC's and TBH with you i don't gut them and i have not had any issues to date with either clogging or a lack of pressure. it's not very hard to open the filter and blast it with some brake clean and re-assemble....

i use dynamite big daddy filter's if it make's a difference....
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

I guess if you aren't using them to actually filter the fuel you could take out the screen inside anyway.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default hhmm...

hiya folks,

ok, so we've heard about:
-it works cos it lowers exhaust gas temps which prevents pre-heated fuel going into carb
-it dunt work cos lowering exhaust gas temps causes less pressure causing lean runs
-it works cos cooler fuel entering carb = longer runtimes?

my questions are:
-where can you mount it and route your pressure line (and how long) so that the exhaust cooler doesn't leech heat from the tune pipe or engine?
-if it can lower exhaust gas temps by 10 degrees... why not mount a larger cooler (or 2 coolers in series) to lower gas temps more? why stop at one cooler?
-obviously, since it's a cooler, it'll benefit from cooling air? why not just cut holes in the bodyshell and cool the whole damn pipe? wouldn't the engine benefit from having resonated air and fuel at a denser and cooler temp back at the cylinder?
-we're assuming ambient air is hot and dry, so cooled exhaust is cooler and somewhat dry, how about hot and humid ambient air? will the exhaust already be void of water because of the combustion?(i dunt think so, any water will be steam... so humidity is still a factor, innit?)

thanks for the replies!

-alexander
Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Presure will stay exactly the same since it's an open system, the presure is given by the pipe flow, not the temp. Temperature will go down and fuel will be more stable all the way to the combustion chamber, so it will give you somepower in addition to less evaporation in the tank.

The hotter the pipe, thebetter it works, always, hot air is lighter than cold air.

I would put it as far away from the pipe and motor as possible and again if pos sible in a well vented area.

X