Wiki Posts
Search

Wanting to buy a buggy...RC8B or 2.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
joeytherocket none of the usual racers with the losi eight 1.0 or the 2.0 dint make it in the a main man there most be a lot of sponsored guys at your track or they never driven a 2wd truck
Yep Leisure Hours has some factory O'donnell, AE, Mugen and Kyosho guys also seem to be the good cars at my track. Don't get me wrong about the Losi, when Josh or Hudson show up they put on a good show. Just not many of your normal weekend racers have them like down in the south.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Compare this:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0084

To this:
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...ory=2000.8xxxx

There is no comparison. Look at the included radios (Spektrum vs. no-name), engines (SH made vs. Toki), and starter box. If the Losi were the lesser chassis it would still be by far the better buy.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

You could buy the Losi RTR kit sell the buggy. Buy a RC8B and drop in the engine, radio and use the starter box from the Losi RTR package!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

In the end they are both really good cars. You wont go wrong with either or.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
Compare this:
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0084

To this:
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...ory=2000.8xxxx

There is no comparison. Look at the included radios (Spektrum vs. no-name), engines (SH made vs. Toki), and starter box. If the Losi were the lesser chassis it would still be by far the better buy.
The Spektrum is great but if the car gives problems the fun is gone.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My RC8 has been way better to me than any of the losi's i've owned before ever were..... I never get a DNF with my RC8, I've only failed to finish two races ever with it, and only because I pulled it off the track, not because the buggy was incapable to finishing.

And someone said that both were faster than the drivers could drive them, to him, that is so very true. In one weekend, I went from mid-low A-main to fastest sportsman at my club just because I started to really learn the car. It rides amazingly well, especialy with the BB shocks the new RC8B is coming with. I'm in love with my RC8.....and with my RC8T, oh man, forget it! That truggy for me was a R/C wet-dream come true! I'm one of only two racers with the RC8T at my track, and so far, the two races I've run it in, I've podiumed both, and the setup ain't even perfect yet! I'm in love!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

Here's what I posted on a similar thread

so far I would say LOSI 2.0

I raced an RC8 for about a year. I knew the guy who designed the new shock towers for AE, So I had everything the new rc8b has (steering mod and bb and shock towers). I Just got a 2.0 losi and my first race was JBRL RD1.

what I think.

RC8 - better steering off power, good steering on power but kind of hard to drive. Car could really rotate on power (if you're good at driving like this the get the rc8)
If you like to throttle through the corners and drive "hard" this is the car for you.
Lots of durability issues though - broke lots of stuff - had to threadlock everything

Losi, steering not as tight but WAY more predictable and easier to drive ( wont snap around on you)
- makes you have to set up for corners more though.

way better through the air and through the whoops - it takes alot to flip this car over. I had to do the battery mod and alot of work with the AE shocks to try to make it jump half as well as the LOSI

the more conservatively you drive it the faster it goes - seemed like it carries momentum more through the track - I felt like I was using alot less throttle and was steering the car rather than driving it - if that makes sense.

Durability, - Ive only had one race day so cant really say , but absolutely nothing came loose and if anything the car feels better than when I first got it. I like it so far.

Im more of an onroad racer so I try not to use throttle to rotate my car , I try to set up for the corners more and use momentum - for my style I like the losi alot better. I was very tired of trying to keep up with all the mods for the rc8 too. On the LOSI, the box stock setup is dialed. I feel like I can spend more time thinking about driving and less about setup
Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

RTR vs RTR Losi Kills every other brand on the market imo.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How many threads like this are there now??.....like 100.

Either of these are good cars. If you already have an AE truggy then it makes a little more sense IMO to go with the RC8B. If nothing else you may have to buy a new tool set to run the Losi.

I dont understand why the RC8 has such a bad rep for durability. Ive run the RC8 for over a year now and would say its been a very durable car and has taken hits I was certain were going to break it and drove away. Sure Ive broken some parts but I wouldnt say it was excessive.

I owned a Losi before getting the AE. It was also a good car. There were a couple things I didnt like about it though. It got sloppy as hell immediately, it also wore out drivetrain parts really fast, and the thing that I didnt like the most was the carb angle needed to make the throttle linkage work. Oddly enough it seemed to need a while to break in. It was also a mechanical A-hole and I always felt like it was entirely too hard to work on.

In fairness though the RC8 has some issues too but I was really happy when AE not only addressed these issues with new updated parts but would supply them to you for free. I got service packs and tanks even free big bores from them. I never had the tank issues many guys did but that certainly would have been a major concern.

Hopefully they will have gotten all of these issues resolved on the RC8B much like Losi addressed most of their issues with the 2.0. I cant deny though if you comparing rtrs the Losi seems to have much better equipment included. I however would recommend ditching the rtr idea. Ive gone that route before and it ended up costing me more in the long run as the rtrs dont have the good parts on them and the other gear is usually not all that great. IMO your money is better spent on the good stuff the first time.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing

I cant deny though if you comparing rtrs the Losi seems to have much better equipment included. I however would recommend ditching the rtr idea. Ive gone that route before and it ended up costing me more in the long run as the rtrs dont have the good parts on them and the other gear is usually not all that great. IMO your money is better spent on the good stuff the first time.
I agree with you but the Losi 2.0 RTR might be the first RTR that comes well enough equipped that as a seasoned racer I would buy it and run it without changing much. I've noticed that in all the spec available on the car, not once is the servo spec called out so those are probably not great..
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
How many threads like this are there now??.....like 100.

Either of these are good cars. If you already have an AE truggy then it makes a little more sense IMO to go with the RC8B. If nothing else you may have to buy a new tool set to run the Losi.

I dont understand why the RC8 has such a bad rep for durability. Ive run the RC8 for over a year now and would say its been a very durable car and has taken hits I was certain were going to break it and drove away. Sure Ive broken some parts but I wouldnt say it was excessive.

I owned a Losi before getting the AE. It was also a good car. There were a couple things I didnt like about it though. It got sloppy as hell immediately, it also wore out drivetrain parts really fast, and the thing that I didnt like the most was the carb angle needed to make the throttle linkage work. Oddly enough it seemed to need a while to break in. It was also a mechanical A-hole and I always felt like it was entirely too hard to work on.

In fairness though the RC8 has some issues too but I was really happy when AE not only addressed these issues with new updated parts but would supply them to you for free. I got service packs and tanks even free big bores from them. I never had the tank issues many guys did but that certainly would have been a major concern.

Hopefully they will have gotten all of these issues resolved on the RC8B much like Losi addressed most of their issues with the 2.0. I cant deny though if you comparing rtrs the Losi seems to have much better equipment included. I however would recommend ditching the rtr idea. Ive gone that route before and it ended up costing me more in the long run as the rtrs dont have the good parts on them and the other gear is usually not all that great. IMO your money is better spent on the good stuff the first time.

I agree there are alot of threads like this, I think mine is just a little different though because I agree both are GREAT vehicles...

Mine was more about opinions on the RTR in my circumstances

I LOVE my RC8T and since I"m still fairly new to racing and Nitro I believe I'm going to get a kit and do it right the first time, I really appreciate all the input guys
Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Either will carry you to the winners circle if you can drive period . I have the RC8T-E and Losi 8T 2.0 Brushless and both will run within .1th of each other on the track. I can't imagine the buggy's being much different.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jzemaxx
Either will carry you to the winners circle if you can drive period . I have the RC8T-E and Losi 8T 2.0 Brushless and both will run within .1th of each other on the track. I can't imagine the buggy's being much different.

Yea man, it's a toss up. I drove rc8e on indoor 1/10th track and i was wheelin that shit. It felt awesome. I was hooked on getting one.

I went with the 8ight 2.0 and a jx ,21 in the works. Go figure ?