Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
running hot but rich? >

running hot but rich?

running hot but rich?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default running hot but rich?

Hi, I have a rather new V-spec (2 weeks) which was properly broken in and now I'm into the leaning stage. I'm running 30% nitro, I was during break-in as well. I have the low end and idle perfect (peppy, drops right to idle, etc) however the high end is a bit rich still and op temps are 230 max. During high speed runs it streams with smoke and is a bit laggy, I'm afraid to lean the high end out any more due to the temps, any ideas?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

At the stage that your engine is in 230 degrees is fine, with an engine that is still new you can expect a slightly higher temp due to the tight metal fit of the piston and sleeve, as you get more fuel through it and the sleeve becomes seated your temps should drop a little, and your power and fuel mileage should increase. Your glow plug could also play into your temp "problem", see what other v-spec users in your area are using for a plug.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

They are using the P3 as well.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1

I wouldnt worry too much about the temp right now. Some engines need a gallon through them before things settle. Temps should come down, with the more fuel you run through it.

You didnt state how much fuel you have ran, so I assume that you are just past the initial break in. Give it some time, run it on the rich side, and you should be good.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by itsshemp
+1

I wouldnt worry too much about the temp right now. Some engines need a gallon through them before things settle. Temps should come down, with the more fuel you run through it.

You didnt state how much fuel you have ran, so I assume that you are just past the initial break in. Give it some time, run it on the rich side, and you should be good.
It's about the 10th tank, it's running and idling great and like I said, 230 max. I'm usually overly concerned about proper tuning to ensure I'm not damaging anything. My last V-spec blew up because I was too much of a noob when it comes to nitros. I'm an electric guy. So basically I want to make sure I'm doing everything right to avoid damage, and problems.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmxRRT
It's about the 10th tank, it's running and idling great and like I said, 230 max. I'm usually overly concerned about proper tuning to ensure I'm not damaging anything. My last V-spec blew up because I was too much of a noob when it comes to nitros. I'm an electric guy. So basically I want to make sure I'm doing everything right to avoid damage, and problems.
I think your OK. If you have some decent smoke trailing, your pretty much safe. I think the more fuel you run, you will see the temps start to drop naturally, and you will be tuning it as that happens.

Personally, during the first gallon I dont 100% race tune it. I tune it to where it runs rather crisp, but still puts out a decent smoke trail. Once the "metal" pinch has gone, I feel comfortable leaning it out to full power. This is just my opinion.

Everyone seems to have their own way of doing this.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

230 is not hot... I run my OS based engines 240*-260*

when in doubt...LEAN IT OUT! JK
Old 05-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Learn to listen to the motor. It will tell you what it needs. Follow the tuning procedures laid forth by Ron Paris. Forget the temp gun as soon as you can. They're not bad, but they are something that everyone should try to ween themselves off of. Babies need bottles when they're young, but people who always use temp guns to tune their motors and never learn to tune by sight and sound are like that five year old running around the supermarket with a pacifier in his mouth. I know you've seen him! Your temp will drop when the pinch eases up on the motor. If the motor's running well (sight, sound, reading the plug) don't worry about temp. If that's where it wants to run an ABC motor will go 290 without batting an eye. I've seen plenty of RB's temp that high for 12-15 gallons. What's worse is running it excessively rich. Trying to compress liquid fuel will wear out your rod and crank pin quick. More than 1-2/1000" slop in those and the Vspec will start flaming out on you. I preheat with a heat gun until I get that tale tell change in tune where the motor goes rich once it's broken in. Personally, I heat cycle a new motor about 5 times at about 95% race tune right out of the box. It'll see 1/4 throttle 1st time, 1/2 throttle 3rd, and full wood on cycle 5. These are half tanks approx. After that I let her eat! Hasn't let me down yet.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the spec's ive ran and tuned all ran at around 220-240.....ive also been told by many OS guru's that you dont want to run them on the hotter side as they will burn down a lot quicker.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
the spec's ive ran and tuned all ran at around 220-240.....ive also been told by many OS guru's that you dont want to run them on the hotter side as they will burn down a lot quicker.
My EB JX is about to go on it's 8th gallon and she rips ass at about 250*
Old 05-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
My EB JX is about to go on it's 8th gallon and she rips ass at about 250*

good to know....so i guess its the 300+ she dont like eh....
Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Integra
good to know....so i guess its the 300+ she dont like eh....
yeah 300* is no good... Temp can vary from one guy to the next, and from one car to the next, there is so many things that come into play, clutch, plug, fuel, pipe, CAR..ect... I've seen guys run Speed engines with P6 plugs making awesome power running 220*-230* But it all depends..... I would say as long as your getting up in between 220*- 260* and it's consistent and the power is good.. your OK.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Also something to consider is when you temp the motor. If you temp it when the tank is full of nothing but fumes, good chance the motor will show a slightly higher temp as it naturally leans out from a lack of fuel in the tank. I've temped motors on an empty tank at 260-270, same motor can show to 230-240 with 1/4 tank left.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Powell
Learn to listen to the motor. It will tell you what it needs. Follow the tuning procedures laid forth by Ron Paris. Forget the temp gun as soon as you can. They're not bad, but they are something that everyone should try to ween themselves off of. Babies need bottles when they're young, but people who always use temp guns to tune their motors and never learn to tune by sight and sound are like that five year old running around the supermarket with a pacifier in his mouth. I know you've seen him! Your temp will drop when the pinch eases up on the motor. If the motor's running well (sight, sound, reading the plug) don't worry about temp. If that's where it wants to run an ABC motor will go 290 without batting an eye. I've seen plenty of RB's temp that high for 12-15 gallons. What's worse is running it excessively rich. Trying to compress liquid fuel will wear out your rod and crank pin quick. More than 1-2/1000" slop in those and the Vspec will start flaming out on you. I preheat with a heat gun until I get that tale tell change in tune where the motor goes rich once it's broken in. Personally, I heat cycle a new motor about 5 times at about 95% race tune right out of the box. It'll see 1/4 throttle 1st time, 1/2 throttle 3rd, and full wood on cycle 5. These are half tanks approx. After that I let her eat! Hasn't let me down yet.
Yup! One of the reasons I went with this method is the break-in procedure gives me an earlier track time
Old 05-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are using 30% nitro, did you add the appropriate shim?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.