Wiki Posts
Search

Savage XL 5.9 or MGT 8.0?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Savage XL 5.9 or MGT 8.0?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first off road truck. I was looking at the savage XL 5.9 and the MGT 8.0. I am not too sure which I should get and I need some help.

I looked at both in the hobby shop and noticed that the savage appeared to be a more solid and better built truck, however the guy kept pushing the mgt 8.0 so I am torn.

I am looking for an overall better truck. (quality, speed, track record...etc)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Savage xl is garbage! Get a real savage 4.6 or a traxxas Revo I ahve both savage 4.6 and revo. Savage a better jumper but overall the revo handles extremely better and jumps just fine.

Don't know anyone running a mgt8. Associated is a good company though.
Revo out of the box will blow your mind as will the savage. Both engines are very good!!!!
Soory for the ramble
Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend the HPI Savage
Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

MGT 8.0... Proven platform and the motor speaks for it self. No issues like the 5.9 has. I used to race the old 4.6 model a few hop ups and a small diet and your race ready. There are tons of aftermarket options for it too. That thing is just sick and they went with a full steel tranny. I recommend getting the FOC= foreward only conversion. Lightens it up a bit and makes it even faster, not that that Brute needs it. And it comes with the XP3D radio which is nice as it gets RTR except for the 8ight's spectrum. That new starter is sweet to. If I went MT again no other would I choose.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I race and bash the AE 4.6, slapped a LRP .28 in, and it is too fast and durable for it's own good. Ripped the center out of the spur gear, melted the center, and proceeded to rip all the teeth off of it. Get the FOC, new steering servo, and you are set.

I got a JP-4 with a side-pipe, removed the left dirt guard, got a set of Bow-Ties, and was set to race.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i dont know about the savage xl but the regular savage is a good truck. have had a lot of friends with them and they are great for bashing, ok for racing in mt class.
i have fixed up a mgt and in my opinion when all is said and done it is a great racer / basher. the only problem is that it takes more money to fix up the mgt if you want to race. you need a better servo then you will need for the savage because the steering is extra heavy, and you would also need a factory team steering kit too. the shocks work well but are a little fragile so metal ones are a nice upgrade. stock turnbuckles bend so the titanium is a good upgrade also.forward only tranny is a must, hopup disk break a nice improvement.
both will need better tires sooner rather then later.
if you dont want to go to the track you dont need this stuff. i like the mgt better ( in fact i still adore mine, its almost as fast as a truggy) but it is more of an investment to take to its full potential. i do feel it has more potential in the end though.
nether is a bad choice, there both good.