R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Cool Buggy I want to buy to start racing with.

I really want to start racing 1/8 scale buggys. I have been looking at the Hyper 7 tq black rtr.

I looking for advice from anyone that races with this car, or has in the past (recently in the past). I know the car is heavy. So im looking for advice to reduce weight on this car. Or any other advice that someone has to do to this buggy to make it competitive.

Also if any one has a losi Eight that is in very good condition and want to get rid of it send me a private email with some pics because if I can get a deal on one these cars i may decide to go that route.

Its just that I know the hyper 7 is dated, but I dont want to spend alot of money starting out. I have plenty of radio equipment that I can put in a buggy if it is not a rtr. I just want to stay cheap for a little while until I feel that I have practice enough to be competitive. Then if I find that I'm a good enough driver to be competitive and the hyper is the reason that Im not competitive, then I will get a better kit. I always buy kits because i like to build my own cars. (I have played around with this hobby for a about 8 years i know my way around cars for tuning. I have about 8 different Touring cars) Its just the hyper is cheap and I dont see a reason not to get it to start out on. I would just like advice on mods to do to it to make it lighter and more competitive.

But anyone reading this thread if you have a car that you are interested in selling, Let me know. But I would like to buy a roller with possible the engine still in it.

Thanks again fellas!
wheelman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman25 View Post
I really want to start racing 1/8 scale buggys. I have been looking at the Hyper 7 tq black rtr.

I looking for advice from anyone that races with this car, or has in the past (recently in the past). I know the car is heavy. So im looking for advice to reduce weight on this car. Or any other advice that someone has to do to this buggy to make it competitive.

Also if any one has a losi Eight that is in very good condition and want to get rid of it send me a private email with some pics because if I can get a deal on one these cars i may decide to go that route.

Its just that I know the hyper 7 is dated, but I dont want to spend alot of money starting out. I have plenty of radio equipment that I can put in a buggy if it is not a rtr. I just want to stay cheap for a little while until I feel that I have practice enough to be competitive. Then if I find that I'm a good enough driver to be competitive and the hyper is the reason that Im not competitive, then I will get a better kit. I always buy kits because i like to build my own cars. (I have played around with this hobby for a about 8 years i know my way around cars for tuning. I have about 8 different Touring cars) Its just the hyper is cheap and I dont see a reason not to get it to start out on. I would just like advice on mods to do to it to make it lighter and more competitive.

But anyone reading this thread if you have a car that you are interested in selling, Let me know. But I would like to buy a roller with possible the engine still in it.

Thanks again fellas!
Look on ebay for a used Xray 808 or a used Losi 2.0 if your going to be racing. Those are the top race chassis in my opinion. You could probably pick one up for about $250-$300 with spare parts. Cheap = ebay.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Tech Prophet

i would look at a hot bodies d8 i heard they are pretty good and the price for them brand new are sweet ,and it is a beginners kind of buggy i was gone to get one but my hobby store dint carry hb parts even though they sold hpi weird isnt it, so i got a losi 1.0 when it was on sale. i have a hyper 7 tq with a force .26 which is a piece of crap , if u are racing i woulnd get it it is a tank and just to catch up with people with losi xray etc u would have to drive hard just to keep up.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

I'd get this over the Hyper any day

kyosho mp777wc
Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Tech Prophet

thats a good buggy hes got it has good stuff on it already too
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
thats a good buggy hes got it has good stuff on it already too
You'd be WAY more competitive with this than the Hyper7, and it's got a good steering servo and the 427 engines are pretty powerful
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Hyper 9-Now your talking.. just got mine ran the 8.5 just got the 9 1st race with it this weekend all I can say is woow..
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrosty View Post
I'd get this over the Hyper any day

kyosho mp777wc
That's a really good deal, chassis is clean also, very little run time on it. Starter box, extra tires, pipe, extra lids. I would also chose that over the Hyper. Speaking from expierience: I bashed the Hyper 7 for 6 years, and then finally started to race. After 2 races with my Hyper 7, I sold it and bought the XRAY 808. I think the New Hyper 9 is the only buggy in the Hyper series that's Race ready
Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Spen the money now! Don`t mess around with it..Because you`ll end investing a lot of money and wish you never would of bought a hyper 7...I would also start with a new gen buggy....You don`t wantto get use to drivingthe old style platform...Why???? because when its time to move to the newer buggies its like learning how to drive all over again..Spend the money and start with the new gen buggies..I would consider looking into the sh z car..Its 240 nib.They have very good support
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

losi 1.0 is what you want and if like racing alot can convert to 2.0 for less than 200 and will be just like new buggy oh yeah 1.0 race rollers on the net ebay are cheap 200 or less with spares it is what you should get and for first motor get a nova plus 4 thier 270 out of hong kong and they are the top dog out right now for motors if going cheap on motor go with no bf limited they are 129 through hobby people and they are good starter once again losi 1.0 cheap and easy to convert to 2.0
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know I run HB's so I am sort of Partial, but try and find a used Hot Bodies D8 roller or even a turn key. The fact that the kit is so cheap new makes them a great deal when they are for sale used. They have tons of aftermarket upgrades and HB makes alot of lightweight bits when your ready to get serious! The car is very strong, alot more stable then most of the other cars in the rough stuff as well!
Tekin, Inc. | XRAY | RC America | Hudy | Protek RC | Exotek Racing | Factory-RC Products | Proline Racing | Avid RC | Vision Racing Products | Paint By Smiley | SOR Graphics | Carolina Custom Anodizing
Jeremy Potter
Tekin C.S. Manager
yzracer758 is offline   Reply With Quote