R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
wheelman25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 4
Cool Buggy I want to buy to start racing with.

I really want to start racing 1/8 scale buggys. I have been looking at the Hyper 7 tq black rtr.

I looking for advice from anyone that races with this car, or has in the past (recently in the past). I know the car is heavy. So im looking for advice to reduce weight on this car. Or any other advice that someone has to do to this buggy to make it competitive.

Also if any one has a losi Eight that is in very good condition and want to get rid of it send me a private email with some pics because if I can get a deal on one these cars i may decide to go that route.

Its just that I know the hyper 7 is dated, but I dont want to spend alot of money starting out. I have plenty of radio equipment that I can put in a buggy if it is not a rtr. I just want to stay cheap for a little while until I feel that I have practice enough to be competitive. Then if I find that I'm a good enough driver to be competitive and the hyper is the reason that Im not competitive, then I will get a better kit. I always buy kits because i like to build my own cars. (I have played around with this hobby for a about 8 years i know my way around cars for tuning. I have about 8 different Touring cars) Its just the hyper is cheap and I dont see a reason not to get it to start out on. I would just like advice on mods to do to it to make it lighter and more competitive.

But anyone reading this thread if you have a car that you are interested in selling, Let me know. But I would like to buy a roller with possible the engine still in it.

Thanks again fellas!
wheelman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman25 View Post
I really want to start racing 1/8 scale buggys. I have been looking at the Hyper 7 tq black rtr.

I looking for advice from anyone that races with this car, or has in the past (recently in the past). I know the car is heavy. So im looking for advice to reduce weight on this car. Or any other advice that someone has to do to this buggy to make it competitive.

Also if any one has a losi Eight that is in very good condition and want to get rid of it send me a private email with some pics because if I can get a deal on one these cars i may decide to go that route.

Its just that I know the hyper 7 is dated, but I dont want to spend alot of money starting out. I have plenty of radio equipment that I can put in a buggy if it is not a rtr. I just want to stay cheap for a little while until I feel that I have practice enough to be competitive. Then if I find that I'm a good enough driver to be competitive and the hyper is the reason that Im not competitive, then I will get a better kit. I always buy kits because i like to build my own cars. (I have played around with this hobby for a about 8 years i know my way around cars for tuning. I have about 8 different Touring cars) Its just the hyper is cheap and I dont see a reason not to get it to start out on. I would just like advice on mods to do to it to make it lighter and more competitive.

But anyone reading this thread if you have a car that you are interested in selling, Let me know. But I would like to buy a roller with possible the engine still in it.

Thanks again fellas!
Look on ebay for a used Xray 808 or a used Losi 2.0 if your going to be racing. Those are the top race chassis in my opinion. You could probably pick one up for about $250-$300 with spare parts. Cheap = ebay.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,874
Default

i would look at a hot bodies d8 i heard they are pretty good and the price for them brand new are sweet ,and it is a beginners kind of buggy i was gone to get one but my hobby store dint carry hb parts even though they sold hpi weird isnt it, so i got a losi 1.0 when it was on sale. i have a hyper 7 tq with a force .26 which is a piece of crap , if u are racing i woulnd get it it is a tank and just to catch up with people with losi xray etc u would have to drive hard just to keep up.
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
mfrosty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 920
Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default

I'd get this over the Hyper any day

kyosho mp777wc
__________________
~TQ Racing~O.S. Engines~AKA~Answer R/C~
http://www.youtube.com/user/frostyone1977
mfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Tech Prophet
 
tc5 man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: levittown pa
Posts: 16,874
Default

thats a good buggy hes got it has good stuff on it already too
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
mfrosty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 920
Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
thats a good buggy hes got it has good stuff on it already too
You'd be WAY more competitive with this than the Hyper7, and it's got a good steering servo and the 427 engines are pretty powerful
__________________
~TQ Racing~O.S. Engines~AKA~Answer R/C~
http://www.youtube.com/user/frostyone1977
mfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
jamiekerr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 607
Default

Hyper 9-Now your talking.. just got mine ran the 8.5 just got the 9 1st race with it this weekend all I can say is woow..
__________________
Xray XB4
Supported By:
RC Disco
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrosty View Post
I'd get this over the Hyper any day

kyosho mp777wc
That's a really good deal, chassis is clean also, very little run time on it. Starter box, extra tires, pipe, extra lids. I would also chose that over the Hyper. Speaking from expierience: I bashed the Hyper 7 for 6 years, and then finally started to race. After 2 races with my Hyper 7, I sold it and bought the XRAY 808. I think the New Hyper 9 is the only buggy in the Hyper series that's Race ready
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
rossoh10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bakersfield Ca
Posts: 1,091
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Spen the money now! Don`t mess around with it..Because you`ll end investing a lot of money and wish you never would of bought a hyper 7...I would also start with a new gen buggy....You don`t wantto get use to drivingthe old style platform...Why???? because when its time to move to the newer buggies its like learning how to drive all over again..Spend the money and start with the new gen buggies..I would consider looking into the sh z car..Its 240 nib.They have very good support
__________________
TEAM WTF
RC10B5m
rossoh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,506
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

losi 1.0 is what you want and if like racing alot can convert to 2.0 for less than 200 and will be just like new buggy oh yeah 1.0 race rollers on the net ebay are cheap 200 or less with spares it is what you should get and for first motor get a nova plus 4 thier 270 out of hong kong and they are the top dog out right now for motors if going cheap on motor go with no bf limited they are 129 through hobby people and they are good starter once again losi 1.0 cheap and easy to convert to 2.0
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Team Tekin
 
yzracer758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tekin HQ
Posts: 3,026
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I know I run HB's so I am sort of Partial, but try and find a used Hot Bodies D8 roller or even a turn key. The fact that the kit is so cheap new makes them a great deal when they are for sale used. They have tons of aftermarket upgrades and HB makes alot of lightweight bits when your ready to get serious! The car is very strong, alot more stable then most of the other cars in the rough stuff as well!
__________________
Tekin, Inc. | XRAY | RC America | Hudy | Protek RC | Exotek Racing | Factory-RC Products | Proline Racing | Avid RC | Vision Racing Products | Paint By Smiley | SOR Graphics | Carolina Custom Anodizing
Jeremy Potter
Tekin C.S. Manager
yzracer758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits. DJ1978 Electric Off-Road 19923 06-12-2017 05:16 AM
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
Tamiya DF-03 type tom_chang79 Electric Off-Road 1048 01-17-2016 09:06 PM
SLASH CLASS LOVE IT HATE IT? li racer Electric Off-Road 475 05-21-2010 09:34 PM
RC equipments for Sale ijnek Malaysian R/C Racers 22836 09-09-2009 01:50 PM
What buggy etc. should a noob start out with? rcurry71 Rookie Zone 15 01-03-2008 06:50 PM
2wd vs 4wd silentdonut Electric Off-Road 14 02-04-2007 08:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:31 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net