Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing Stripped Setscrews

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Removing Stripped Setscrews

I have two stripped setscrews on my 8ight. I already ordered better hex drivers to prevent this from happening again but was wondering if anyone has a tip on how to remove the stripped setscrews without sacrificing the parts they are screwed into. Normally I would cut a slot in the screw with my dremel but since the setscrews are recessed this wont work. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I have had this same thing happen to me a few times. I a slightly bigger allen wrench and pounded it in the stripped out hole gently. If your screw is a 2.0mm head, I tap a 3/32" wrench in the hole. If you try this, make sure that your wrench is strait while pounding it in. There are also some very small "easy-outs" that you can pick up at most tool companys like Harbor Frieght.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This tool from sears works great. You put it in your drill and put it in reverse, it cuts into the stripped screw and turns it out.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+screw+remover
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

drill them out best way you will do it in the long run any way
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (98%+)

if none of these guys ideas work..which some times they do..the last resort is take your stock "L" allen wrench and pud a dad of jb weld on it and slip it into the striped screw and let it dry over night, they the next day heat up the part with a mini torch to loosen up the lock tight then back it out easily!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you referring to FHS screws? You can slot them with a dremel and a cut off wheel. You could also try to use some CA with a hex driver. Heat will also help it break loose easier.
Good Luck
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

I dremmel out a flathead style mark and it works great. Get your flathead screw driver and it will come out easily
Good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (98%+)

i think he is talking about a grub or set screw as some call it..so its probably flush or lower then the part he is trying to save...if its a standard chassis screw then yes the ol slot it with a dremmel works excellent!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
i think he is talking about a grub or set screw as some call it..so its probably flush or lower then the part he is trying to save...if its a standard chassis screw then yes the ol slot it with a dremmel works excellent!
Oh yeah my bad reading to fast
Old 05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scwrod
Are you referring to FHS screws? You can slot them with a dremel and a cut off wheel. You could also try to use some CA with a hex driver. Heat will also help it break loose easier.
Good Luck
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
if none of these guys ideas work..which some times they do..the last resort is take your stock "L" allen wrench and pud a dad of jb weld on it and slip it into the striped screw and let it dry over night, they the next day heat up the part with a mini torch to loosen up the lock tight then back it out easily!
+1, but touch the set screw with the tip of a Hot soldering iron. You then concentrate the heat where you need it, and melt the thread lock like butter!!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yep my bad. I missed the setscrew(grubscrew) reference. I have never had to mess with a stripped grub screw. I guess I would drill it or try small amount of CA on the very tip of the driver.

It would also depend on what kind of grub screw it was .
Is it for a muffler, drop screw, CVD??
Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

I like this set from Sears. Pricey, but they have come thru many times in a pinch. Drill on 1 end, extractor on the other. Needs to be used in a drill that you can slow way down and still make torue.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=screw+extract

Ed M.