R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to camocowboy
Default What's the BEST truggy motor?

I am looking for a new motor for my Losi 8T 2.0. I am currently running a Sirio EVO III. Not saying this is not a great motor, just looking for other options. I am a big Novarossi fan, have had great experience with them, but I don't know if they have a motor out with the low end I want in Truck. What do you think? Please post facts about motors you have ran. What kind of run time, how long they last, power band, etc.
camocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There is no BEST truggy engine. I would seriously reccomend using the SEARCH feature. You will probably get better results that way.

Some good options would be
OS v-spec,
OS SPEED,
Mugen JX ninja,
novarossi plus 4,
novarossi toro nero.

But there are many more good truggy engines.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idcategory=318
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camocowboy View Post
I am looking for a new motor for my Losi 8T 2.0. I am currently running a Sirio EVO III. Not saying this is not a great motor, just looking for other options. I am a big Novarossi fan, have had great experience with them, but I don't know if they have a motor out with the low end I want in Truck. What do you think? Please post facts about motors you have ran. What kind of run time, how long they last, power band, etc.
If you're a nova fan then get yourself a 21-7FMS. If you can't drive that well then don't buy that engine. I only run OS so far. I really like my speed motors. Not plugging OS here. My buddy bought a 21-7FMS and holy crap that thing has a set of balls on it. It's the only nova engine i've seen run in person that i would buy. Not putting the toro down, just haven't seen one run yet. Seeing one on the track is the only selling point for me. If i had some spare jingle the FMS would be in my stable. That being said one of the baddest new engines i've seen run is the newest EB Mods EBM5. Not out yet. Ed should be getting the revised engines anytime now. Longer rod and revised port timing. Raced against it. It's a real bad ass. Not for the faint at heart though.
Answer-RC/TLR/Futaba
Snow Monkey Racing
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camocowboy View Post
I've seen them all run! The new Toro Novarossi motor is defiantly a truggy motor, and that Mugen Ninja JX 21 will wheel the crap out of a truggy too! Fuel mileage isn't really an issue with these new motors, they are all much better in that category. If you change the con rod at 2-3 gallons they will last quite a while. The Novarossi's normally get a bit more longevity out of the piston sleeve, so that could be the deciding factor. I want one of each!

....and yes that FMS screams also!
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Race prepped EBM5 Go tech, or if you want get the Fully Modded version. Both are broke in and race tuned TKO rear bearing, coated internals. Awesome mills.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

would not go with the toro nero for truck, does not not have the bottom..

the plus 4 would be a solid motor
or the vspec, jx, speed you can never go wrong with those
Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Hmmm... I like my VSPEC. I drove my buddy's C6BB (the old "standard plug" one) and really liked it... haven't heard good things about the lifespan of the new C6BBT though. And the Mugen Ninja is a rocket!
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Everyone will have a different opinion. .21, .24, .28 it all depends on your driving style and which company you like. I know many drivers who love their V-spec's these engines are very smooth and reliable and easy to tune. I personally have had great luck with GRP but they are out of business so when these 2 engines are done I will switch to Nova. I like the new Toro from nova, but I like a lot of torque down low. I had my GRP's modded to specifically give more torque response, as GRP's are not strong on torque in heavy truggys, and the mod worked very well.

So consider the following:
- your driving style (too much engine can cause problems)
- your budget (some engines can get into the 500+ range)
- what you want from the engine (smoother, punchy, gas mileage)
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Get yourself a nova FMS that thing is pissed off form bottom to top, or a Sirio Based 24(extech, sirio, orion, whatever) and hold on.

X
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote