R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

I would say if you're serious about your budget then you should start looking used. There are lots of great deals out there on MBX5R's, RC8's, 8ight 1.0's and HB D8's all of which are more than capable of winning at the club level. There's a Go Tech 3 port with 3/4 of gallon through it for $90 in the FS forum right now. Look around, and most used cars also come with at least some spares which you'll need for racing.

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

+1 on the D8
Very easy kit to build and handles very well. Very stable for a beginner racer like my self.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet
xlt69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Hot Bodies D8 is definitely a good choice. If you do a little looking around, you can find a brand new kit for little over $300. It handles great and is forgiving. I run mine bone stock and run competitively. Just use a similar setup to what the pros list on the Hot Bodies web site, not the stock setup.
Miniracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman25 View Post
Jetta i understand what you are saying. If i find that my kit and not my skills are whats holding me back then yes i would definetly upgrade my kit to a losi or something compariable! But for now I need to stick with my budget. I would love to go drop the money on the losi but im not going to do that just quite yet.

I KNOW that if i get that hyper my tuning skills chassis set up and engine tuning skills can keep me up front in the pack. I just want to get my feet wet first get that racing "fever" going and I know that once i get that racing urge going inside me again then i wont be hesitant to open my wallet and buy the latest greatest thing.

Im just going to be conservative at first. But i would definetly like to buy a kit rather than a rtr. half the fun in racing is building your own equipment.

Even if i do get the hyper tq black the engine is coming out the day i buy it and some better horsepower is going in before the car even turns a lap!

If anyone is interested in selling a kit let me know, I mean im not dead set on the hyper. It was just definetly the best thing i have found for the money.

I grew up racing motorcross and go-karts. We were always front runners in both styles of racing. We didnt have a lot of money but we knew what we had and we knew what to do with it to run upfront and be consistent to win races. We use to always get a kick out of the the "fat Wallets" that would show up to the track with the latest greatest bike or kart and the best equipment that money could buy and they would end up bringing up the rear for months!

I'm a strong believer in figuring out the ends and outs of the equipment you have and making it work for you. It makes you a better driver and just as important a smarter mechanic.

Keep the advice coming. If there are any other kits out there that are a little more than 300 hundred let me know i may have over looked them. Also, if there are any hyper drivers out there -i would like to hear from ya.

Everyone that has replied so far thanks for the advice. You never know i may bite the bullet and get the losi.

Take a step back, if you wanna race a set of tires is 60-70 bucks.

Is this for you ?

I think the cheapest way in is the losi 2.0 rtr. Thats worth upgrading.

But that hyper 7 is soo old (7-8 years) and the new designs are in a completely different league and direction now.

Trust me i almost tried to go cheap but realized i would just be pouring money down the drain.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
The Losi RTR would still require you to replace the electronics, pipe and engine to racing spec anyway, so you're not saving anything there. .
Brad actually the losi 2.0 RTR comes with a good pipe, a non pull .21 and a starterbox, Its allot better than the last losi RTR. Im not sure on the servos but they're not junk servos im sure.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My opinion...I just started racing 1/8 buggy 6 months ago, I wanted a Losi RTR buggy. But my mind and my wallet just was not ready to spend that much cash just to get started. So I bought a used but in mint condition AE
RC8 for 250$ from a local hobby shop but it did not come with any servo's or radio equipment but it did have a Pico .21 eng. and a JP1 pipe and a starter box, so I allready had the radio equipment and a couple of servo's and did not need any thing else. But over the next 6 months the more I liked racing and competed in club races the more money I spent on my RC8 because the RC8 is a good foundation to start on and now its a full blown Pro spec racer with a RB WS7 I just done little at a time. And now I really do not need a new car to compete in any level..I would look for a nice used roller or complete car to start out with but find a good used quality manufactor it will save you money later.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I grew up racing motorcross and go-karts. We were always front runners in both styles of racing. We didnt have a lot of money but we knew what we had and we knew what to do with it to run upfront and be consistent to win races.
This is nice, but completely irrelevant to your skills handling an R/C car.

Ive raced at a national level in auto racing for the past 5 years and ran upfront my entire career, I raced karts for 10 years before that and was the same way. Doesn't change the fact that when it comes to R/C cars I would not be able to compete at a National Level or anywhere above club level at this point. They are two completely separate skill sets.

I'm just telling you that if you approach it with the mindset that your going to jump in and run upfront your setting yourself up for extreme disappointment. I'm not saying you wont eventually get there, just plan for it to be a long road.

I'm voting for the used kit option RC8, LOSI 2.0, MBX5R (MBX6 if you can), are all solid platforms and would be better suited to be competitive.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #23
Tech Prophet

the rc8 is a good buggy but dont drive it to hard trust me guys who do will brake them , im not scareing its a good buggy.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Losi 2.0 or 1.0 they have tons of parts support the RTR versions are competitive at the race level and they can take a crash and keep on going. I have seen these cars do cart wheels and land on their tires and keep going - very durable and very competitive to what's currently on the market. But be warned if you plan to race it is not a cheap hobby, you will spend money just to keep your car maintained.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tonnes of JAMMIN products out there, that can easily be upgraded when ready using the upgrade kits supplied by the manufacturer, to get it up to the latest the X2,

Any experience i have had with RTR has been "ready to replace" part after part, i upgraded very fast, costing me more in the end,
shipwama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

Here ya go

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ot-go-l-k.html

Pro Twister Mods Novarossi .21-5K

$400 for a race winning car/engine combo

Here's another

HB D8 and lots of spares