R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Take apart, clean, put back together.

How hard is it to do this with a nitro RC Car? Mine is filthy, and I want it to look as good as possible. Any pointers for me wheile I'm doing this?
eighty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)

honestly unelss all the bearings are fealing like crap and all the shocks and diffs need rebuilt its probably not neccasary... i usually just pop out the engine and pipe, and servo tray..spray the car down with grease lightning or simple green hose it off wth water..then i blow it off with a air compressor really good...then mist a coat of WD-40 and then blow it off again.. Looks like brand new!

If you do want to take it apart i would reccomend jsut separting your piles of screws FRT/CNTR/REAR and clean and re-assemble each section of the car at a time..That way nothing gets mixed up
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just take your time. Any dirt in the screw heads flick out with a small pin. Saves a lot of hassle. Wash the plastics, any carbon fibre and chassis in water and with a scrubbing brush. WD40 etc makes dirt stick to the plastics.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
WD40 etc makes dirt stick to the plastics
if you hose it on..thats why i blow it off really good..i never had any issues with dirt sticking to my car!! it brushes off easy too at the track
Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
honestly unelss all the bearings are fealing like crap and all the shocks and diffs need rebuilt its probably not neccasary... i usually just pop out the engine and pipe, and servo tray..spray the car down with grease lightning or simple green hose it off wth water..then i blow it off with a air compressor really good...then mist a coat of WD-40 and then blow it off again.. Looks like brand new!

If you do want to take it apart i would reccomend jsut separting your piles of screws FRT/CNTR/REAR and clean and re-assemble each section of the car at a time..That way nothing gets mixed up
Well, its not completely necessary. I just bought it used and it kind bothers me. I'll take that route, though. I just want it to look semi decent. Down the road, I'd like to get all blue aluminum parts as I go, to make it look even better.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Simple Green / water - use an air compressor to dry

WD40 and dry again -WD40 works really well and is worth the price - Odonnel make a pink cleaner which works good, but I get it cheaper at the local bike shop.. same pink stuff

No prob with Wd40 never had any dirt stick because of it as long as you blow it off with a compressor
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

1st remove the engine, servo tray and gas tank - this should take all of 5-10 mins with a power driver. Then I blow with an air compressor then use a large brush to get most of the dirt off, then simple green and a smaller brush and then the air compressor again, a rag and after its all clean then wd40 and wipe and blow. Looks like new after I am done. Check the bearings especially the wheel bearings and check the hinge pins because simple green can work its way into them and make them stuck to the arm. If I want to do a thorough cleaning then I also remove the front and rear clips takes maybe another 2-3 mins for the 8 screws.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Be advised if you are spraying water on any of your bearings and then blowing them off with air you will need to check your bearings regularly...most of use replace the bearings every gallon or so, but someone new to the hobby may not do this. Water and compressed air are really bad for bearings!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

I'll keep everything in mind. Thank you guys so much. I'm new to nitro RC, and I'm glad to find a forum that when I come in and ask a beginners question doesn't ignore/insult me. Again, thanks for the responses. I'll post up when I get her clean.

Thank you all. Definately my favorite RC board.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

The trick to keeping a car clean is air compressing it right after a race... and diluted simple green the front and rear suspension.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Tech Master

what kind of car is it?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty2 View Post
I'll keep everything in mind. Thank you guys so much. I'm new to nitro RC, and I'm glad to find a forum that when I come in and ask a beginners question doesn't ignore/insult me. Again, thanks for the responses. I'll post up when I get her clean.

Thank you all. Definately my favorite RC board.
Yup you came to the right place. This is truely the best RC site there is
Old 05-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty2 View Post
How hard is it to do this with a nitro RC Car? Mine is filthy, and I want it to look as good as possible. Any pointers for me wheile I'm doing this?
I tear mine down between every heat and it will not take long once you get a system down. Just get the right tools, a cleaning brush from UPGRADE RC will save you alot of hassle and time!!!
elcaminosslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Remove engine, pipe, electronics, gas tank.
Rinse excess dirt off with a hose,
coat with simple green and use a big scrub brush,
Rinse with hose,
Spray bearings and driveline with WD-40,
Coat with orange pledge,
Blow dry with compressor,
Re-assemble.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

I use compressed air, small amounts of simple green on a rag and brush then coat with SC1 for the shine. The SC1, from Maxima, is the ticket. Dirt doesn't stick to it very much and the compressed air then removes most everything. The only thing I have to wipe or scrub are the big deposits. Best stuff sense sliced bread. Look for it at your local motorcycle shop.
Hate2Looz is offline   Reply With Quote