Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
TREE --PM SENT

allumina..whats the deal with the switch and why not use it?? is this the cause of regulator failure??

slaytanic--that orion reg looks bad ass..i like how it has a built in heat sink to dissapate heat!! BAD ASS! its cheap too!
Ive been told not to use a switch for a couple [very important] reasons:

1) Its another point of failure. switches go bad pretty often, i never run a switch either way, lipo or not

2) From what one of my pro buddies told me, if your battery is plugged into the regulator+switch [EVEN if its switched off] its still pulling a draw on the lipo, and wears on your charge. The only way for it to be totally unhooked, is just that -unhook it.

So i just run the switchless regulator, and unplug the battery from the regulator after each run.
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Castle Creations ccBEC, adjustable output between 4-9 volts with 0.1V increments, up to 6S lipo and 10 Amps.
It's THE regulator/BEC
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)

Quote:
Castle Creations ccBEC, adjustable output between 4-9 volts with 0.1V increments, up to 6S lipo and 10 Amps.
It's THE regulator/BEC
yes this is a awesome BEC..but not a very effective Regulator...i had the exact same idea and IT DID NOT WORK<< it is a "switching bec" and it generates a ton of interferance,

If you got it to work thats awesome cuz its hella heavy duty but the bandwidth of the bec is so different it actually will cause the DSSS to power down and shut off,it may take a few minutes or a few heat races, but on 2.4 it no doubt will...I called AIRTRONICS about it and they said dont use that use a real regulator

I too was under the impression 6 volts was 6 volts...guess i was wrong
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allumina View Post
Ive been told not to use a switch for a couple [very important] reasons:

2) From what one of my pro buddies told me, if your battery is plugged into the regulator+switch [EVEN if its switched off] its still pulling a draw on the lipo, and wears on your charge. The only way for it to be totally unhooked, is just that -unhook it.

So i just run the switchless regulator, and unplug the battery from the regulator after each run.
Thats not the only way... I run the lipo+switch+regulator..... that way the reg. isnt pulling down the pack in between races. I also dont trust myself to always un-plug the battery after a race, the HB radio box is pretty tight so once I have everything crammed in there I dont want to open the box several times a night to plug/un-plug.... I'll definelty pinch a wire at some point and really have a good time I've only opened the box a couple times in months, run the charge lead off the switch out of the box too.... I'm the ultimate lazy racer I guess
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

i use a muchmore regulator in my ntc3 with a reedt2200 pack, no problems, and for my evolva and crt.5 i have the novak bec regs, the evolva is the 5 amp with the led indicator and a muchmore flat pack1500 i think. works well.

why do they call them becs, what battery is being eliminated. the bec is for esc to power the servo and rx to eliminate the separate pack for them, this is a different case. no battery is being eliminated at all and the call these voltagr regs becs. hate that....but they work.
comedyman809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)

Quote:
why do they call them becs,
because back in the day they didnt have recievers with built in BEC's so if you ran a 7.4volt pack to power your esc and motor this was to much on the servos so you would have to run a 4-5 cell reciever pack to power your serevo's and reciever...hence the seperate BEC would step down your main pack to a acceptable voltage...

like on my 4-6s power brushless 1/8 cars..i solder the red/neg end right on the deans connector for the main pack and ran it inline with the esc...

For some odd reason it dosnt work quite as effective as a regulator though...
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

i know what a bec is.

im just saying, a bec was designed to eliminate the rx battery for the electric cas using an esc.

they are referring to a voltage regulator for the nitro cars that do rely on a battery to power the electronics.

so to call a voltage regulator a bec is rediculous because no battery is actually being eliminated.

just another thing i hate to hear people say in r/c.....just people referring to the scales as a fraction. example: 1/8th scale.

it is not 1/8th scale, the 1/8 is a ratio, not a fraction. it should actually read 1:8 scale.

there is nothing on a 1/8 scale that is 1/8th the size of the real thing or 1:1 scale.

if that was the case, then that would be saying that a 10 scale touring car is 1/10th the size of a real car. so that 10 of these little cars would equal the size and weight of a real automobile....i think not.

little things that bother me.
comedyman809 is offline   Reply With Quote