R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default jammin crt 1, xc1, whatever questions

I hope this has not been covered, but I was wondering two things.

One- Is there a way to make this truggy lighter? I could go wackin parts off of it, but I want to hear what other people have done, and how it worked out for them.

Second- I was wondering if I can buy the xc2 diffs and swap them onto my truck?
vonzipper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

the best thing u could do is see if there are any hop up chassis than are milled that tanks a lot of weight off, boy i cant really think of any thing alse.
dont know about if u can swap diffs though.i dont know why they make them jammins so heavy. my ofna hyper 7 was about proberty 8 pounds
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The truck will be a bit on the heavy side but it's durable.

You can do a BCE chassis swap that uses smaller spur gear and smaller diff ring and pinion gears. I did it to mine and I had more acceleration with a 13t clutchbell than I did on stock drivetrain with a 12t. It's expensive, but it basically makes it an x2 with x1 chassis braces. It's the cheaper way to go if you've already got an x1.

Other than that, you can do the lightened outdrives, lipo battery and such. Not all that much you can do.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You can buy the X2 diffs; but keep in mind you'll need to have the ring gear/pinions as well as the X2's are sprial cut and your X1's may be straight cut if it's an older model.

As far as going lighter...

All the nuts on the suspension components are steel. Go to aluminum. Ofna makes all kinds of colors if you like that.

Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles.

Use a buggy front bumper instead of the truck setup.

Run JConcepts Rulux wheels (half-ups)...they're a bit lighter than any of the dish wheels and you can run JC, PL or AKA tires on 'em. (though the new PL's that are coming will use a different bead)

Do a search for a thread by me in the f/s section; I have a pair of CF shock towers that will fit it. Should knock off around 20+ grams; I'll have to reweigh them for sure.

If you're racing, get a personal transponder instead of a handout (if you're doing that) as the PT is about 1/2 the weight of the traditional h.o. units.

Me personally..I'd be looking for an X2 roller.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

i ended up with two of these in a trade, complete. They have the cvds, alum braces, buggy bumpers, and all that all ready. I am running orion .26's in them. It may not be that they are heavy, but the guys i am racing at the track just seem to have so much more get up and go at a crack of the throttle. I do to, but not like them. I have to nail it 10 feet in front of the triple to clear it (most of the time), and they can roll the corner and hit is 5 feet in front and sail it.
vonzipper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

a lot of that is the pipes they use and softer clutch springs and maybe they throttle epectial.that orion .26 is a beast engine i drove a guys o donnell buggy and it was .21 that thing had so much top end .
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonzipper27 View Post
i ended up with two of these in a trade, complete. They have the cvds, alum braces, buggy bumpers, and all that all ready. I am running orion .26's in them. It may not be that they are heavy, but the guys i am racing at the track just seem to have so much more get up and go at a crack of the throttle. I do to, but not like them. I have to nail it 10 feet in front of the triple to clear it (most of the time), and they can roll the corner and hit is 5 feet in front and sail it.
That can boil down to clutch setup, tires and what the "others" are running for trucks. Most of the new trucks fly/launch/land better than any of the "older" models. This is esp. true for the X1CRT and even X1CR buggy. I hung in there with the old buggy for a long time, but you HAD to drive it 9/10'ths all the time to make sections a Losi 1.0/2.0 could just float through. The X1 series is not known to be the best at springing off jumps and they push horribly on corner exit for the most part. I've asked others and read reviews on here...everyone pretty much has the same complaint.

Go to: www.jamminproducts.com

And dig up some of the old setup sheets for the X1CRT and give them a shot. If you're running the small bore shocks, you can make them work, but it takes a small-med. size piston hole and 45+wt shock oil. If you got the big-bores...you'll be a little better off.

With the Orion engine, you've got the power. Try running the Jammin' red clutch shoes with 1.0/1.1/1.1 springs and a 12t clutch bell. Unless you have a straight over 100' you can use the 12. Ofna # is 10398 I believe. I always ran it in my buggy and still do in truggy (using a .21 on an X2)

Good luck.