R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)
Default MUGEN JX 21 B01 PIS/SLEEVE IN A OS SPEED?? ENGINE BUILDERS HELP!

I have a few speed engines and one is about ready for rebuild time...just from alot of reading and reasearch it seems the new mugen jxB01 ,21 engine runs damn close to the same as a speed but has a little more punch..
maybe this is in relation to the 5-port sleeve...i was debating on buying this piston and sleeve set and seeing how it works...I know the mugen is o.s. based..but off of what O.S.crank case??V-spec or XZ? also are the sleeve O.D's the same as a V-spec?
My thinking is it will probably be smooth like the speed becuase of the crankshaft but maybe have a little more power from the 5 port!!...also i need a rod..i assume i would have to buy the speed rod for proper oiling

Plus its about 30 bucks cheaper!

any one out there have a mugen JXB01 .21 sleeve they can accuratly measure the outer diam. of?

Last edited by yoshgixxer; 05-04-2009 at 05:00 PM.
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
I have a few speed engines and one is about ready for rebuild time...just from alot of reading and reasearch it seems the new mugen jrx01 engine runs damn close to the same as a speed but has a little more punch..
maybe this is in relation to the 5-port sleeve...i was debating on buying this piston and sleeve set and seeing how it works...I know the mugen is o.s. based..but off of what crank case?? also are the sleeve O.D's the same as a V-spec?
My thinking is it will probably be smooth like the speed becuase of the crankshaft but maybe have a little more power from the 5 port!!...also i need a rod..i assume i would have to buy the speed rod for proper oiling

any one out there have a mugen JRX01 sleeve they can accuratly measure the outer diam. of?
the OS V spec based p/s all fit one another.. the mugen engine is actually a JX Bo1a. The JX and speed make identical power on the dyno. The more aggressive response/feel of the JX comes from the crank, not the 5 port p/s.
The speed & JX rods, are the same. speed rod is just polished. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a few speed engines and one is about ready for rebuild time...just from alot of reading and reasearch it seems the new mugen jrx01 engine runs damn close to the same as a speed but has a little more punch..
maybe this is in relation to the 5-port sleeve...i was debating on buying this piston and sleeve set and seeing how it works...I know the mugen is o.s. based..but off of what crank case?? also are the sleeve O.D's the same as a V-spec?

any one out there have a mugen JRX01 sleeve they can accuratly measure the outer diam. of?

I would just have the sleeves you have pinched and put some new rod in. I've pinched a local guys Speed atleast 3 times and he says it runs better now than it ever did. He has over 10 gallons on it.

I too think the difference in feel on the motors is in the crank.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Tech Master

i take it you pinch sleeves?? im not negative to doing that but i am nervous about the "method" some people do it...i wanna be certain the sleeve maintains 100% roundness...also that it is not overly pinched..i think if i were to get one pinched i would only want a "mild" pinch unelss other wise recomended...i cant see the need to have it super tight!

what method do you use and what is the price?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
the OS V spec based p/s all fit one another.. the mugen engine is actually a JX Bo1a. The JX and speed make identical power on the dyno. The more aggressive response/feel of the JX comes from the crank, not the 5 port p/s.
The speed & JX rods, are the same. speed rod is just polished. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
so technically i could stick the mugen b01a sleeve in the speed and save a few bucks!! haha whats the benafit of the 5 port design then?? i though higher ports help with higher rpm gains??
yes you could use the JX p/s in your speed. yes the 5 port will help a lil in hi RPM. but to be honest i think OS did the 5 port for mugen just so it's different from their line. just my 2 cents..
Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

As for the JX21 p/s/r, it drops right into the Speed. I have one I built that runs in my MBX6. Plenty of power with the Speed smoother power delivery. I also have the JX21 case for my other MAG Speed. If you use a JX21 case, make sure to get the backplate, as its larger than VSpec/Speed backplates. I used that case for the MP9, since you have to shave the case edge for the driveshaft. I'm planning on dropping another JX21 p/s/r set when my other MAG Speed gets tired.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Tech Master

your probably right about the 5 port thing..the ports look identical jsut the muegn intake ports seem to be a tad longer with a bar spliting the center

i wish i could see a 360 pic of a mugen sleeve
Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Tech Master

I Knew somthing was different about the mugen case...so it uses the same bearings from a .28 XZ...i wonder if the sleeve bore from the XZ.28 is the same as the V-spec...HMMMM..smooth .28 with good miliage??? ANYWAYS..

Looks like i might jsut pick upa mugen sleeve/piston and rod and chuck it in there and then send the old set out for a pinch job for the hell of it

OH ezvdub did you notice any change in fuel mileage
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
I Knew somthing was different about the mugen case...so it uses the same bearings from a .28 XZ...i wonder if the sleeve bore from the XZ.28 is the same as the V-spec...HMMMM..smooth .28 with good miliage??? ANYWAYS..

Looks like i might jsut pick upa mugen sleeve/piston and rod and chuck it in there and then send the old set out for a pinch job for the hell of it

OH ezvdub did you notice any change in fuel mileage
Actually, the engine has very good runtime. At FSORS race about two weeks ago, we had the pit time @ 11 minutes, 12 minutes was not really needed though, but looks possible. I'd say its the best setup I have right now. It runs the MBX6-80 header and Ninja 2042 pipe (OS 2060)

As for the JX21 case, the mold is from the XZ .28, but its all .21 dimensions inside. Same VSpec bearings and sleeve bore size. The only thing thats different is that is has no carb o-ring in the case neck nor a flat area for the carb gasket.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
Tech Elite

the os zx 28 has a larger bore in the case. the bearings are the same size as any os 21.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
no carb o-ring in the case neck nor a flat area for the carb gasket

i remember back when i bought my JP mod v-spec i noticed the flat gasket under the carb was missing..when i called them they say its not needed and also the lower O-ring was uneccasary and just causes the carb to get stuck in the case..I thought they were BS'in me cuz they forgot to put it back..but obviously NOT!

Well i guess i will order the Mugen pis/slv ..if for no ther reason then its about 35 bucks cheaper!Especially if they run just as good maybe slightly better

Sucks aboutthe .28 bore i figured it had to be larger..not that i need that kind of power..but just a thought!
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Tech Regular

I haven't seen it but an awesome combo for me would be a Speed crank and ceramic bearing on the JX engine.

X
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Actually, I popped out the stock JX21 bearing, but after checking it and feeling how smooth it was, I popped it right back. Been running fine ever since.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
I haven't seen it but an awesome combo for me would be a Speed crank and ceramic bearing on the JX engine.
thats what were doing here..it would be cheaper to make a speed converted to a mugen top end then converting a JX to a o.s .speed botom end..that crank and bearing is expensive!

hey EZ have you taken your mugen sleeve out of the case since you have ran it?? You know how the case will leave "marks" on the sleeve? do the spliters in the case for the intake ports inter fear with the longer intake ports of the mugen sleeve??