Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch bell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Clutch bell?

hey guys

can somene tell me if there should be a little play in the clutch bell and if theres no play but the clutch spins freely is that ok

thanks
john
Old 05-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

You want some play. You want the bell to have some play on the shaft, as in you can slide it along the shaft approx 2 mm. You also want a little bit of play in the gear mesh, but just ever so slight. I simply slip a piece of paper (about 100 thousands of an inch (.100)) between the bell and spur gear when I am tightening my motor. That usually works pretty good for setting gear mesh.

If you truly have NO play on the clutch bell, I would check your shims. It is possible you can simply remove a shim and be set. If you are using no shims, double check and make sure the bearings are not bound a little in the bell. Push on the bell hard to make sure the bearings are seated all the way.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Larks
You want some play. You want the bell to have some play on the shaft, as in you can slide it along the shaft approx 2 mm. You also want a little bit of play in the gear mesh, but just ever so slight. I simply slip a piece of paper (about 100 thousands of an inch (.100)) between the bell and spur gear when I am tightening my motor. That usually works pretty good for setting gear mesh.

If you truly have NO play on the clutch bell, I would check your shims. It is possible you can simply remove a shim and be set. If you are using no shims, double check and make sure the bearings are not bound a little in the bell. Push on the bell hard to make sure the bearings are seated all the way.

Hope this helps.
2mm of play just a tick of play in the clutch bell is fine. just as long as it doesn't bind on you. P.S. get some tko conical washers if you don't have some, they are the best clutch washers IMO.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cweb
2mm of play just a tick of play in the clutch bell is fine. just as long as it doesn't bind on you. P.S. get some tko conical washers if you don't have some, they are the best clutch washers IMO.
+1 2mm!!!! Ummm... not NEARLY that much. You should be able to move it just slightly, maybe the thickness of 1 shim.