R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   just broke engine in with a liter of 20% is it ok now to tune with 30% (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/294129-just-broke-engine-liter-20%25-ok-now-tune-30%25.html)

dreaux 05-02-2009 12:36 PM

just broke engine in with a liter of 20% is it ok now to tune with 30%

advice please. I have a gallon of 30% and did break in with 20. Can i tune with 30 now? temps are still too low. need to lean it out

SpraydbySprague 05-02-2009 12:53 PM

Switching from 20 for break in to 30 for running won't cause a problem. If the temps are low the air is more oxygen dense. More oxygen means you need more fuel. Leaning the motor out to get it to temp in cold weather can damage an engine, especially a new engine. When you lean the motor out you starve it for fuel and oil. Try a slightly hotter plug first. Hope this helps.

dreaux 05-02-2009 01:03 PM

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS VZB IS F&^%ING SICK FAST:eek:

the last tank out of the liter and i did like the istructions said and leaned it out a quater turn until i got it right. Now it is running a bit over 200 i am now ready for race tuning. btw this engine is a pleasure to tune!!!!!! I knew it would be fast but DAMN it has some RAW power!!!!! low end and top end are unreal!

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!:D

dreaux 05-02-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague (Post 5760488)
Switching from 20 for break in to 30 for running won't cause a problem. If the temps are low the air is more oxygen dense. More oxygen means you need more fuel. Leaning the motor out to get it to temp in cold weather can damage an engine, especially a new engine. When you lean the motor out you starve it for fuel and oil. Try a slightly hotter plug first. Hope this helps.

It is not cold outside. What are you taking about?????

boostfiend 05-02-2009 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 5760516)
It is not cold outside. What are you taking about?????

I believe he thought you were talking about the temp outside when you said "Temps are still low."

Since you didn't specify engine temps or ambient temps and we're just coming out of winter, he probably figured you were concerned about running the engine in the cold.

SpraydbySprague 05-02-2009 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by boostfiend (Post 5760560)
I believe he thought you were talking about the temp outside when you said "Temps are still low."

Since you didn't specify engine temps or ambient temps and we're just coming out of winter, he probably figured you were concerned about running the engine in the cold.

Ding! Ding! Ding! That's it! Lol!

CarCrazy 05-02-2009 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by dreaux (Post 5760455)
advice please. I have a gallon of 30% and did break in with 20. Can i tune with 30 now? temps are still too low. need to lean it out

I actually prefer to break a motor in on 20%, then move to 30% after about 1 gallon. Yes you will have to re-tune when switching over, and some motors run better with an additional thin head shim when running 30%. Dont be scared,... lean it out a bit, 210-230 is fine.