Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

its pretty even
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

so far I would say LOSI 2.0

I raced an RC8 for about a year. I knew the guy who designed the new shock towers for AE, So I had everything the new rc8b has (steering mod and bb and shock towers). I Just got a 2.0 losi and my first race was JBRL RD1.

what I think.

RC8
- better steering off power, good steering on power but kind of hard to drive. Car could really rotate on power (if you're good at driving like this the get the rc8)
If you like to throttle through the corners and drive "hard" this is the car for you.
Lots of durability issues though - broke lots of stuff - had to threadlock everything

Losi, steering not as tight but WAY more predictable and easier to drive ( wont snap around on you)
- makes you have to set up for corners more though.

way better through the air and through the whoops - it takes alot to flip this car over. I had to do the battery mod and alot of work with the AE shocks to try to make it jump half as well as the LOSI

the more conservatively you drive it the faster it goes - seemed like it carries momentum more through the track - I felt like I was using alot less throttle and was steering the car rather than driving it - if that makes sense.

Durability, - Ive only had one race day so cant really say , but absolutely nothing came loose and if anything the car feels better than when I first got it. I like it so far.

Im more of an onroad racer so I try not to use throttle to rotate my car , I try to set up for the corners more and use momentum - for my style I like the losi alot better. I was very tired of trying to keep up with all the mods for the rc8 too. On the LOSI, the box stock setup is dialed. I feel like I can spend more time thinking about driving and less about setup
Team El Cajon Hobbies
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Well said wstuart.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
Tech Elite

I find the Rc8 DOESNT like to be driven with a heavy finger, the rear end tends to penduellum or swap ends when driven like this.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Im a losi fan for sure, but i got an RC8 the other day and have yet to try it. Anyone wanna buy an rc8?
SuperSmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

lol how much super smoove
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
I find the Rc8 DOESNT like to be driven with a heavy finger, the rear end tends to penduellum or swap ends when driven like this.
What setup are you running? It can be adjusted to point and shoot.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #24
Tech Elite

I run maifields world setup with 18 degrees caster, long rear link, silve front bar, kyosho 2.3mm front bar on rear.kyosho 7k front diff 5k center,5k rear. I tried the rear hubs in the upper roll center hole that made the rear grab to hard going side to side. Im trying heavier rear fluid in the diff and going with the upper hole for the rear upper arms my next trip to the track.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
Tech Prophet

jub u know what setup for the losi eight 1.0 for point and shoot i used to that in 2wd gas truck
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
I run maifields world setup with 18 degrees caster, long rear link, silve front bar, kyosho 2.3mm front bar on rear.kyosho 7k front diff 5k center,5k rear. I tried the rear hubs in the upper roll center hole that made the rear grab to hard going side to side. Im trying heavier rear fluid in the diff and going with the upper hole for the rear upper arms my next trip to the track.
Have you tried going to 2 or 3k weight in the rear? That would certainly help. Going heavier in the rear will give it more of a "spool" effect and just cause it to dance even more.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
jub u know what setup for the losi eight 1.0 for point and shoot i used to that in 2wd gas truck
? huh? lol
Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had the 8ight 1.0 when I got the RC8. I took both to the track with pretty much equal equipment and used the same tires on both cars and ran qualifiers with each back to back. I ran my fastest lap with the Losi and the fastest qualifier with the RC8. Keep in mind I had dailed the Losi in already and was using the stock set-up on the RC8. At the end of the day I couldnt say which was really better than the other but knew I had to let one go because switching back and forth was not feasible.

I offered both for sale and took the first deal that came along. The 8ight was sold and I kept the RC8.

Since then I have made many improvements to the RC8 both in set-up and with hop-ups like big bores that werent available when I originally tested back to back. I have done extremely well with the RC8 and when I drove a friends 2.0 when they were released I still prefered the feel of my RC8 although admittedly the 2.0 was still good.

I feel the biggest difference between the cars IMO is the way you have to drive the Losi. I felt like I could really push the RC8 much harder. I could run good laps with both but if I got trigger happy with the 2.0 I would overshoot jumps and the back end would get loose.

I'm not going to say one is better than the other. Nobody can know for sure which is best for you. If you dont like your RC8 then maybe switching will be good but if you do like the RC8 I would stick with it at least until you can try the new parts on it. You wouldnt be able to get much for it right now if you were to sell it but with the new parts installed if you wanted to sell the resale would be much better.

I think about this a lot myself and there is one thing that really bugs me about the Losi and that is the carb angle. On the 8ight I had and even the 808 I had problems with the carbs sticking. I'll admit it has to be partially user error on my part but I tried every trick I could think of and still had problems.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #29
Tech Elite

LOSI
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Get a mugen mbx6.I have had all of the cars. The losi and Mugen drive very much the same but the Mugen is better quality. The rc8 is a still fragile IMO.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote