R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Most stable 1/8th scale buggy

As the title says I am curious as to how all the current buggies stack up against each other on how stable they are. When I say stable I mean that the car does not like to get loose the harder you get on the throttle.
xpertpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I personally think the HB D8 is the most stable I have driven.I have tested many buggies recently and most of the D8's I have driven are very forgiving.I drive an rc8 and they can be a handful.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
I personally think the HB D8 is the most stable I have driven.I have tested many buggies recently and most of the D8's I have driven are very forgiving.I drive an rc8 and they can be a handful.
Yah my D8 is really stable and forgiving. Just curious to see if there were any other cars out there that have that characteristic. Seems like all the cars now a days are light, nimble, and not stable.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertpredator View Post
Yah my D8 is really stable and forgiving. Just curious to see if there were any other cars out there that have that characteristic. Seems like all the cars now a days are light, nimble, and not stable.
Hyper series, but not the 9, and the Jammin buggy are all heavier and more stable. I would not know if they are more stable than the D8 though as I have never driven one. This is why people should never ask which buggy to buy..Different driving styles require different buggies. The heavier the car, the more stable, and the more of a point and shoot buggy it will be, and if that's the way you drive..stick with it...The lighter more nimble "twitchy" cars are more finesse driving and made more for handling and jumping.. Awesome question..I hope someone reads your thread before they ask for the 123,098 time which buggy to buy
Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Hyper series, but not the 9, and the Jammin buggy are all heavier and more stable. I would not know if they are more stable than the D8 though as I have never driven one. This is why people should never ask which buggy to buy..Different driving styles require different buggies. The heavier the car, the more stable, and the more of a point and shoot buggy it will be, and if that's the way you drive..stick with it...The lighter more nimble "twitchy" cars are more finesse driving and made more for handling and jumping.. Awesome question..I hope someone reads your thread before they ask for the 123,098 time which buggy to buy
exactly why i created it. Kinda gives people an idea of what cars to consider based upon driving style.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i like the d8 its forgiving and also a finesse buggy...2.0 seemed to be more of finesse...same with the rc8.. mugen, jammin,Caster all seem pretty tuff as well as forgiving
B.A. Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"all of them are stable,
its just your driving style"

-my dad.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The new kits are all heading towards the lighter weight, quicker handling direction because it's faster if it's used effectively. If you're looking for stable you're in an advantageous place. You should get yourself a nice used MBX5r (or my Xray XB8ec). Those handle really well but have legendary stability. I keep hearing the D8 is stable, I think a lot of it is that it's very heavy. Get the weight down and it'll start acting like any other new age buggy.

Another reason light buggies feel unstable is because when they dropped 10+oz of weight, they instantly became really overpowered (nothing changed about the engines). With the lighter buggies we could take advantage of milder and possibly more efficient engines.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I will second the D8, I have only been driving for a few weeks and I ran third in my first race last Tuesday. I attribute this maily to a VERY forgiving chassis. And it is super durable, I have hit everything at our track and (knocks on wood) have not broken a thing. I really like the buggy, I had a RC8 for a week before the D8 and the D8 is much easier to drive for me. I am a lot more consistent with it.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

good thread O/P a point very much overlooked by people who are too quick to jump on bandwagon's

i like my CEN it feel's very solid and easy to drive. i'm just a "basher" right now but i'd like to get into racing eventually and i think this car will suit me well
madmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

How can you justifiably say 1 car is better then the next if you've only raced for a month of so ? IMO only season Veteran's can answer these kinds of question's with any real truth.....Driving a Buddy's car for a couple laps around the track does not justify an opinion.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Light vs. heavy, did some tryouts yesterday. Compared my MBX5R to the MBX6. The 6 was quick and nimble, all over faster, however the 5R much more forgiving.
Some differences in setup:
The 6:
- 5-5-2 with stock v2, springs and 40 oil.
The 5R:
- 5-5-5, medium springs with jammin bigbore loaded with 25 front and 20 rear.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

my buggy may be stable but im not
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
Tech Regular

How does the Odonnell buggy compare to the d8 stability wise.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Another reason light buggies feel unstable is because when they dropped 10+oz of weight, they instantly became really overpowered (nothing changed about the engines). With the lighter buggies we could take advantage of milder and possibly more efficient engines.

Exactly! I'm considering going to a milder mill for this reason.
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote