R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

I bought it used on eGay last year, and it ran trouble free, and idled great for a good length of time. The bottom is MUCH softer than the CRF, and it has great mid to top pull but hits a flat spot at the upper RPMs. I just got the buggy a month ago so I haven't been able to compare it to anything else because our club track is closed, but will be operational on Sunday! I'm heading out there on Sunday, and will get a much better idea on it's performance, in comparison to others.

All I can say is it's not even close to the same league as a Clocked CRF. I'll see how it fairs against other mills at the track.

It's quite the hack-job for sure. The piston and sleeve are still very tight, but, the crankpin is getting worn( 4.86mm to 4.93mm ), and the front bearing is starting to leak, causing some tuning issues lately, but it still rips pretty good, but I just can't rely on it anymore. It will soon be a back-up for me.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroFreakManHo View Post
I bought it used on eGay last year, and it ran trouble free, and idled great for a good length of time. The bottom is MUCH softer than the CRF, and it has great mid to top pull but hits a flat spot at the upper RPMs. I just got the buggy a month ago so I haven't been able to compare it to anything else because our club track is closed, but will be operational on Sunday! I'm heading out there on Sunday, and will get a much better idea on it's performance, in comparison to others.

All I can say is it's not even close to the same league as a Clocked CRF. I'll see how it fairs against other mills at the track.

It's quite the hack-job for sure. The piston and sleeve are still very tight, but, the crankpin is getting worn( 4.86mm to 4.93mm ), and the front bearing is starting to leak, causing some tuning issues lately, but it still rips pretty good, but I just can't rely on it anymore. It will soon be a back-up for me.
that is pretty far out on the crank , i boneyard them at 4.90 or below .

if the sleeve set is still tight and you like the way the engine runs i would get a good used crank () and have new bearings installed , check the rod , reshim it and vuola , freshy back up engine
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NitroFreakManHo Send a message via Skype™ to NitroFreakManHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
that is pretty far out on the crank , i boneyard them at 4.90 or below .

if the sleeve set is still tight and you like the way the engine runs i would get a good used crank () and have new bearings installed , check the rod , reshim it and vuola , freshy back up engine
That is a good idea Houston, and I've tossed it around my head a few times, but to be honest, I'm not sure what crank is in it, being what it is, and weather I could find it for a reasonable price is another question. The con-rod needs to be changed too ( 4.96 to 5.01 ). It sure looks alot like the STS .28 con-rod when comparing them.
The piston and sleeve certainly do have more life in them, much more. It would still make a great back-up mill for sure.
**M2C**Hitec 7955TG Servos**Buku Clutch
www.apaarchery.com www.skoffroad.ca www.youtube.com/nitrofreakmanho
NitroFreakManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I guess it depends on what your comparing it too....My buddy has a CRF .21 that I modified that replaced this engine and there is no contest, the CRF smokes the ass off this engine in every way shape or form.. However my modded Picco's and CRF's are insanely powerful engines so its not a fair comparison......
I missed this one, forgot i even asked it! LOL

Well then its not fast

X
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #20
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxflo777 View Post
I missed this one, forgot i even asked it! LOL

Well then its not fast

X

the truth is that CRF is stupid stupid fast...makes a OS Speed look like a little baby !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
Tech Regular

I'll have my eyes opened for those then. My mod FMS turns Speeds into babies too hahaha!

x
maxflo777 is offline   Reply With Quote