Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servo going

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Servo going

I am relatively new to the hobby. I have an 8ight RTR Truggy. The steering servo still works but it seems quite slow to move. When it does move it moves with some force.....just slowly.

Is it common for a servo that is going bad to go bad in this way?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Are your batteries all charged up? I guess that could be a symptom of a bad servo, but could also be a weak/bad reciever battery.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is it just slow while truck is sitting still on the ground? It may just seem slow while the truggy is on the ground and not moving.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Also check your servo saver spring for tightness. Its very common to have that spring get soft and need tightening. Check steering rack for free movement by taking the servo arm off, and actuating the steering rack. It should be really free and easy to move.

Steering issues:
1 Check Battery
2 Check Servo Saver
3 Check to make sure servo arm isn't rubbing on the servos top.
4 Check steering rack for free/easy movement.
5 Could be a servo issue...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

First of all the steerin servo in the RTR truggy - sucks- its not enough power to turn the wheels while stationary and I will not last long.........

I would suggest ACE, Hitec, or JR servos and at lease 200oz

If it turns while your driving - this is the problem

If it dont turn while your dirving - check the saver spring and bearings
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Everything is charged...not sure how to check the bearings/spring. There is a bit of play in the arm when at rest. It doesn't want to turn on the track at slow speeds and when I am breaking hard into a corner.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My servo did this to me last weekend. I had stripped all but two teeth off the gear coming directly off the motor. It turned, but very very slowly. My servo saver was adjusted WAY too tight, so the only plastic servo gear took the force.

When you do replace the servo, get the best you can get. I went from using an Ace DS1313 to a Futaba BLS451 - the difference is night and day. The Futaba is just SO GOOD! Certainly worth the extra 40 bucks.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Spend the $100-$120 for a GOOD steering servo. I personally like Hitec (like the 7995TG, which is the "newer version" of th 5995TG that I currently run) but there are a lot of good ones... Futaba, Ace, Hitec...

Get something with at least 180 oz of torque and metal gears (or in the case of the Hitec it has titanium gears.)