R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Had an Accident

My brother got a new savage xl today, we broke it in nice and then took it for a burn. The first run the air filter must have come off and the engine stalled in a giant cloud of very thick dust.

Once i seen this we took the pipe off the back, glowplug out, and blasted 1/2 a bottle of nitro engine cleaner in there flushing the engine out. When i moved the piston by hand i could hear the grit in there, so i oiled it up with after run and did my best to clean the majority of it out.

I put a new glowplug in, set the high speed and low speed back to factory and ran it at idol for a tank a fuel. The exhaust was a little brown for a bit but it went clear again. After that we tuned it as normal and ran it, all went well.

My question is, how can we tell how much damage we did? I looked inside and it looked fine as i could tell, but im no expert.

Thanks.
xikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

It probably would have been better to take the engine out and pop the backplate off then clean it out thoroughly. As far as damage, probably some, but if it is running then it should be ok. You probably took some life out of it though and some performance also. At least the filter problem was caught early. Worst case you will have to put a new Piston/Sleeve in it ,and maybe a bearing, sooner rather than later or just get a new engine.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Tech Addict

better to strip down the engine for a thorough check and cleanup.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

i had an issue where the airfilter came off and like you i could hear/feel the grit in the motor. i disassembled the motor and the piston and sleeve were in good condition. The issue was the bearings. they were what i was feeling. i was fortunate enought to be able to flush them out and make them feel smooth again. without taking it apart i feel the bearings would have destroyed themselves shortly. I keep it as a spare motor but it has over a gallon run through since this situation.
stevef is offline   Reply With Quote