R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-30-2009, 04:19 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
This thread is great, from spending 20minutes reading this thread, I have learnt that every tool mentioned, including Hudy, MIP, EDS, JConcepts, AE, LOSI just to mention a few are not only the best hands down, but they all break wear out and are garbage!!!

I love it!!! each and every tool is the best ever but at the same time wears quickly and breaks!!!

I know who "the tools" are now!!!!!!
Ahhhh Mr STS sharing his great wisdom once more.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytanic View Post
Ahhhh Mr STS sharing his great wisdom once more.
2009 is the year of the Grenade Mr Slaytanic!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
This thread is great, from spending 20minutes reading this thread, I have learnt that every tool mentioned, including Hudy, MIP, EDS, JConcepts, AE, LOSI just to mention a few are not only the best hands down, but they all break wear out and are garbage!!!

I love it!!! each and every tool is the best ever but at the same time wears quickly and breaks!!!

I know who "the tools" are now!!!!!!

Well said Sam. i think i am just gonna keep my current tool set now. i am about more confused now than when i started out looking for advice. lol.

no really, basically i have gathered that 99% of the RC tools available will do the job just fine and if a tool breaks, bends, or strips it is probably how it was handled.

i use assoc. hex drivers and they have been good. i have had to replace 2 tips in 6 months due to it getting rounded slightly and it started to strip screws occasionally. 6 mo. aint bad considering i am wrenching every day but i know there is something better out there. i have one 2mm losi hex and it has not had to be replaced yet and i use it the most. so i have really thought about getting those.

i havent bought the hudy stuff yet but i did buy a complete set of MIP hex driver bit tips for my cordless. i thought for the money i would spend on a new set of hudy i can get a new DeWalt cordless and all MIP speed bits. we'll see how they work out. maybe i wont have to spend as much time in the garage now.
blueryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #49
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

buy a good tool one time buy cheap tools over and over
be good to your tools and thay will last "dont be a tool"
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 AM   #50
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
buy a good tool one time buy cheap tools over and over
be good to your tools and thay will last "dont be a tool"
+1 a good set of tools will go a long way and your experience will be much better and less frustrating. I love the Hudy set I have I just bought it 2-3 weeks ago but so far it is superior to the other tools I have had. The worst was Proline from day one they were horrible.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #51
Tech Addict

I am using HUDY there is definitely a different feel to them than any other tool I have used. I have not used the EDS yet but will try them. I do wish the hudy had the same size handle for all, but I think the small grip reminds me not to tighten as much.Hudy has the ugliest grips ever.I do not like the fact that the cap on top of the handle does not rotate.I would also like to have them use numbers rather than stripes to identify the sizes. I guess the only thing I like about them is the way the tip fits the screw
Joey Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #52
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

so before i laid down $400 on new hudy tools i decide to buy one hex wrench (2.5mm) and test it out to see how i like it first. i use the 2.5mm more than just about anything so we'll see. first thing i did when i got home is i took it straight to all my motor mounting screws that are threadlocked and gave it a good beating. so far, so good. i do like the feel of the wrench and like everything about it but i am gonna use it for a week or so to see how the tip holds up.

i too have been annoyed that hudy makes all their handles different sizes. i wish they were all either 18mm or 22mm but i know they make some of the handles smaller to protect the screw and the tool. if the the 1.5mm wrench had a 22mm handle for example, you would be stripping the screw or snapping the tip every week. the handles are made according to the torque need for that size. actually several tools on the market are like this. eg. Losi, Odonnell, and a few others use varying sized handles on their hex wrenches.
blueryu is offline   Reply With Quote