Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Setup Tools For New Buggy Racer >

Setup Tools For New Buggy Racer

Setup Tools For New Buggy Racer

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Setup Tools For New Buggy Racer

Just about to venture into 1/8 racing with my Hot Bodies D8. I have ordered some setup tools to help me get the most out of my buggy. Please let me know if I need anything else. Please keep in mind I am running on a tight budget here.

The stuff I either ordered or already have
RPM 81150 RIDE HEIGHT GAUGE METRIC RPM81150
Pro-Line 1/8 Droop Gauge Pivot Ball Tool PRO603900
Integy Team Setup Board with Tweak Bar 13""x17""
RPM Precision Camber Gauge RPM70992
6' Digital Read Out Caliapers

Is it best to do the inital setup with the tires not on the wheels. Or do I need those alum. setup wheels? Thanks

Last edited by xlt69er; 04-28-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

You can set it up w/ the wheels on it. I normally just set up off road cars w/ a coke can. Bring a sharpy & mark all your rims so that you put them back on the same arm each time, it can make a difference.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by party_wagon
You can set it up w/ the wheels on it. I normally just set up off road cars w/ a coke can. Bring a sharpy & mark all your rims so that you put them back on the same arm each time, it can make a difference.

How in the world do you use a Coke can to set up a car. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Because the side of the can would be 0 degrees so you can make your measurements approximately on that if your wheel is flat up against it you have zero degrees of camber and with toe you can just eyeball it. I use a can of motor spray but same thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The stuff you have, or ordered looks good for now. but if you want to set your droop take off the wheels and set the buggy on two buggy rims(without tires) and use the droop tool or measure the distance from the arm to the flat surface it's sitting on. set your camber with the tires mounted. your gonna have to eyeball the toe since you don't have a setup station. a pretty good cheap one you can find @ m-racingteam.com. they are also on ebay. they're good quality and easy to use and alot better than eyeballing.
good luck.

btw, is that setup board for 1/8 off road. it seems kinda small for the job.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cweb
The stuff you have, or ordered looks good for now. but if you want to set your droop take off the wheels and set the buggy on two buggy rims(without tires) and use the droop tool or measure the distance from the arm to the flat surface it's sitting on. set your camber with the tires mounted. your gonna have to eyeball the toe since you don't have a setup station. a pretty good cheap one you can find @ m-racingteam.com. they are also on ebay. they're good quality and easy to use and alot better than eyeballing.
good luck.

btw, is that setup board for 1/8 off road. it seems kinda small for the job.
\

According to the description it should work. I thought that it would work to set the toe. I am new to this so I am unsure. Here is the description from the site I bought from. By the way what is the tweak bar?

FEATURES: Allows extremely accurate setting of toe and caster with appropriate markings on board.
Bubble type level in center assures accurate settings.
Three spring loaded supports thread into bottom of board.

INCLUDES: One Team Integy Setup Board with tweak bar for 1/8, 1/10 and 1/12 scale RC vehicles
with three spring loaded supports.

REQUIRES: Installing supports on bottom of board and placing vehicle on board.

SPECS: Length: 16.75" (425mm)
Width: 13.25" (336mm)_
Thickness: 0.67" (17m
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds good to me. I bought the rpm drop gauge also but I dont like it. You can use the calipers to set the droop. Put the shocks on the car and measure from the center of the nut to the center of the bolt. You are collecting the right stuff but if you get into racing alot I would get a setup station. I finally got one and it make things so easy. Good luck fellow D8 army member.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xlt69er
\

According to the description it should work. I thought that it would work to set the toe. I am new to this so I am unsure. Here is the description from the site I bought from. By the way what is the tweak bar?

FEATURES: Allows extremely accurate setting of toe and caster with appropriate markings on board.
Bubble type level in center assures accurate settings.
Three spring loaded supports thread into bottom of board.

INCLUDES: One Team Integy Setup Board with tweak bar for 1/8, 1/10 and 1/12 scale RC vehicles
with three spring loaded supports.

REQUIRES: Installing supports on bottom of board and placing vehicle on board.

SPECS: Length: 16.75" (425mm)
Width: 13.25" (336mm)_
Thickness: 0.67" (17m
looks like you got a onroad set up board. if you want to run onroad anytime in the future I would keep it.
never seen the integy board with tweek bar, I'll get back to you on that. But tweek has to do with spring pressure on the shocks. when you set the tweek all four tires have the same pressure on them. It's mostly an onroad thing.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

That size board with a tweak bar is indeed for a 1/10 onroad car, a 1/8 offroad buggy board is atleast 18 in. wide
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as I know, Integy doesn't make an off-road setup system for any scale.

I have the Hudy setup system for buggy (and I bought the truggy top plate to use it with truggy, too). I don't buy into the whole Hudy thing in general, but I gotta say that the quality of the setup system is second to none. It's $150, though.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Initiate

To set front toe I just use my camber gauge. Stand the car up on its front wheels and set your toe angle. I turn the radio on so the servo holds the steering straight. Close enough for offroad.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Guess I will be returning the setup board then.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have the Hudy set up station, truggy top plate and truggy set up board. You need the larger board for a truggy. Mine just fits on this board. It works well but not practical at the track. For ride height I have an AE Gauge and a Losi Gauge. I prefer the Losi.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xlt69er
Guess I will be returning the setup board then.
If you can get your money back, Do it. Seriously take a look on rc-setup.com, they have some good stuff and pretty reasonable. Sorry about the board.