R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Slayer 3.3 Tuning???S

I have a Traxxas Slayer with a 3.3 that has the beefed up Davis Desiel connecting rod. The truck flies when it is running. Tune seems to be pretty close.

I run O'Donnell 30% racing fuel.

I am having hard time getting it to idle without shutting off. Sometimes it is very hard to start. I do not have the EZ start system on anynmore. I use a roto start with a external glow plug heater.

I have replaced the glow plug and reset to the factory needle spec's

Factory needle specs seem to be a little rich for my area.

When driving the truck it runs great as long as I keep the rpms up. It actually runs awesome. Pulling the front wheels off of the ground when it hits second gear.

During low speed runs it tends to flame out alot. What problem am I looking at. Ia this a rich problem on the LSN or a Lean condition. I am not that great at tuning yet.

By the way the motor has great pinch. Thanks in advance for any imformation that you may be able to give me.

Ohh yea. I dont have a temp gun yet to read the head temps. (I ordered one today from summit racing. )

Will a gun with the range of -76F to 356F sffice. (hope I never get above 250)
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet
xlt69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Adjust your throttle opening to about 1/2mm. When you take the airfilter off you should see a small gap (1/2mm) in the carb. Adjust that and I think you'll be fine.
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
Adjust your throttle opening to about 1/2mm. When you take the airfilter off you should see a small gap (1/2mm) in the carb. Adjust that and I think you'll be fine.

Got it fixed just before you posted this. It was a problem with a fuel line kinking up. Still I have a hard time starting it sometimes.

I changed the fuel lines just after I got the truvk and added a fuel filter. Would making the line coming from the exhaust shorter have any effect. Seems that it is not bulding pressure in the tank like it should. The tank is sealed up very well.

It is still wanting to flame out sometimes but nothing like before.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to 29TC

I had a similar problem....turns out it was too rich at low end side. Check exhaust if lots of oil spitting out. Also on stop and go, is it sluggish?

Hope my 2 cents helps.
29TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29TC View Post
I had a similar problem....turns out it was too rich at low end side. Check exhaust if lots of oil spitting out. Also on stop and go, is it sluggish?

Hope my 2 cents helps.
Yes it does become sluggish between stop and go's. Sometimes it will just flame out.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Default DO YOU RACE YOUR SLAYER'S

I CANT FIND A GOOD CLASS TO COMPETE SO I'M STUCK BASHING AROUND ON PRACTICE DAYS. I'M A GOOD DRIVER AND AM ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH MOST TRUGGIES TILL THE TRACK GETS DUSTY THEN TIRE SIZE HURTS ME A LITTLE MORE THAN THEM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to 29TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlt69er View Post
Yes it does become sluggish between stop and go's. Sometimes it will just flame out.
Yup u have the same problem I did. Just lean out the low-end needle and it'll be all good.
29TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllski View Post
I CANT FIND A GOOD CLASS TO COMPETE SO I'M STUCK BASHING AROUND ON PRACTICE DAYS. I'M A GOOD DRIVER AND AM ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH MOST TRUGGIES TILL THE TRACK GETS DUSTY THEN TIRE SIZE HURTS ME A LITTLE MORE THAN THEM.
First of all, turn caps lock OFF. The Slayer wasnt made for racing. If you can keep up with msot truggies with a Traxxas, if you get a competation truggy you will beat them!

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Thanks for helping out. I will try it out tomorrow and see if it helps out. Do they race Slayers. I see someone above saying something about it. I have my Slayer so I dont bash my race D8 when I am finished with it.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
First of all, turn caps lock OFF. The Slayer wasnt made for racing. If you can keep up with msot truggies with a Traxxas, if you get a competation truggy you will beat them!
I am sorry you are so offended by all caps, however you might want to consider spell check. I was simply trying te see what other Slayer owners were doing with thier trucks as I am the only one in the area with one. Traxxas has built a pretty solid truck and I get a good amount of attention with it. With the sway bar kit and progressive 3 rockers it does well on the clay in Georgia. I am waiting for the center diff and rear brake kit to come in May.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllski View Post
I am sorry you are so offended by all caps, however you might want to consider spell check. I was simply trying te see what other Slayer owners were doing with thier trucks as I am the only one in the area with one. Traxxas has built a pretty solid truck and I get a good amount of attention with it. With the sway bar kit and progressive 3 rockers it does well on the clay in Georgia. I am waiting for the center diff and rear brake kit to come in May.

I want to race it might have to try going against SC8's or something if they will let me. I do not see why it would be a problem since they would have the advantage. I found adapters that will let me run the SC8 tires and wheels. I just want to compete do not care if I win just would like the challange and I have yet to see another slayer on a track when I was there.

Last edited by bllski; 04-29-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add comment
bllski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlt69er View Post
I have a Traxxas Slayer with a 3.3 that has the beefed up Davis Desiel connecting rod. The truck flies when it is running. Tune seems to be pretty close.

I run O'Donnell 30% racing fuel.

I am having hard time getting it to idle without shutting off. Sometimes it is very hard to start. I do not have the EZ start system on anynmore. I use a roto start with a external glow plug heater.

I have replaced the glow plug and reset to the factory needle spec's

Factory needle specs seem to be a little rich for my area.

When driving the truck it runs great as long as I keep the rpms up. It actually runs awesome. Pulling the front wheels off of the ground when it hits second gear.

During low speed runs it tends to flame out alot. What problem am I looking at. Ia this a rich problem on the LSN or a Lean condition. I am not that great at tuning yet.

By the way the motor has great pinch. Thanks in advance for any imformation that you may be able to give me.

Ohh yea. I dont have a temp gun yet to read the head temps. (I ordered one today from summit racing. )

Will a gun with the range of -76F to 356F sffice. (hope I never get above 250)

I had a something that sounds close to what you describe. Would start run half a lap then die, sometimes it would idle ok then other times it would die as soon as you let off gas. spent hours at the track changing high and low needle settings to find out it was a broken clutch shoe that was falling into the wrong place at times stressing the engine and making it over heat. Strange because it would come and go and would spin fine with engine off.

Last edited by bllski; 04-29-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
bllski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Well I finally figured out what the problem was today. Recenty I changed my header from the bolt on version to the one that is held on with the spring. Ironically the spring broke and I had to put the orginal header back on.

When I took the header off of the engine I noticed that the oring that came with the header was pushed up and was causing leaking.

After I put the orginal header back on I had to retune from a rich condition.

It is 100% back to narmal now. Actually getting a little faster because the motor is starting to wear in.

Temps are around 230-240 depending how soon after a run I check it.

The truck is still a little hard to start on its initial start of the day.