R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (99%+)

AHHH..never thought they would shot peen it! it deffinatly makes it stronger.. they shot peen connecting rods in real cars to make the rod resist stretching and twisting..it deffinatly works or they wouldnt do it in race car engines!
yoshgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Yea, the shot peened surface of the 1.0 was awesome. Same way with the shot peen of the 2.0. This is to relieve the surface tension right? Or something like that. I'm not sure cause I'm not an metalurgist.

It induces plastic deformation of the grains on the surface of the aluminum. Puts it under a compressive stress. Kind of like tempering in glass.

Its a hardening process that is used for strength. Makes the aluminum harder, but more brittle.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I bought a new 2.0 last week. I also ordered a spare of almost the whole car. I knew the shock towers had some issues. I went out and looked at the shock tower that came on the car and then compared it to the new losi replacement tower. It's the same part number but it is thicker for sure. Looks lime the same design just thicker at the top where they have been cracking. So im sure the stock losi tower is just as good as the KH tower now that they addressed it.
Jammin Crt.5 .12 Picco
everyjuangohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyjuangohome View Post
I bought a new 2.0 last week. I also ordered a spare of almost the whole car. I knew the shock towers had some issues. I went out and looked at the shock tower that came on the car and then compared it to the new losi replacement tower. It's the same part number but it is thicker for sure. Looks lime the same design just thicker at the top where they have been cracking. So im sure the stock losi tower is just as good as the KH tower now that they addressed it.
Yeah but the KHZ tower allows you to get rid of the silly little plastic caps. It also looks trick. IDK I have alway's had great luck with the KHZ stuff. Plus that way you don't have to gamble on weather or not you will be getting the new model.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #35
Tech Master

yea i just went ahead and put the king headz tower on..now i gotta buy the rear so they match! LOL...i have been using the king headz rear hubs of my T 2.0 for a while now and have not had any issues with rear bearings crapping out..so they do make some good designed stuff..im sure the towers will hold up fine
Old 04-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
yea i just went ahead and put the king headz tower on..now i gotta buy the rear so they match! LOL...i have been using the king headz rear hubs of my T 2.0 for a while now and have not had any issues with rear bearings crapping out..so they do make some good designed stuff..im sure the towers will hold up fine
I ran thier towers on my 8T 1.0 for over a year. They make a great product. I wish I had known they were going to come out with the hubs before I bought the losi aluminum ones. But I got mine modded by J-DUB so they are basically the same thing as the KHZ ones. So far so good with me too.

Edit: thier towers also resolve the problem with camber link and wing mount screws being too short. The KHZ towers are machined down like the losi towers always should have been. The buggy only has the problem with the rear camber link screws, but the truck has it with all 4 camber link screws and the wing mount screws.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #37
Tech Master

yea i already replaced the stubby screws in the camber links and wing mount's...I also like how the black king headz finally matches the car this year..no more ugly greenish grey chassis..blaah!