R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   how much slop in rear diff cups? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/293069-how-much-slop-rear-diff-cups.html)

patrick lsp 04-27-2009 06:20 PM

how much slop in rear diff cups?

i have a losi 2.0 buggy with about three gallons and happen to notice rear diff cups had way to much slop in them. upon installing new bearings into new gearbox there is still a little more slop than i think there should be. how much is acceptable. it still ran perfect the way it was, and there is about half as much slop now. can the diff cup be worn already? or can this be fixed by shims? don't know much about shimming, usually just replace fluid and put it back together. any help is appreciated. if more info is needed lmk

MrUnlimited 04-28-2009 04:25 AM

Is it possible to add shims between the cups/bearings and diffhousing?. IT is also very important for the right mess for the gears. Look into you manual if it is possible. ALso be aware of bearings: bearings are a vital part and one bearing is not the other. There are difference in quality. Quality in bearings is measured in Swiss numbers or ABEC numbers (ABEC3, ABEC5 or the best bearing ABEC7). Also the material of the rollerballs in bearings is important: are they plain steel, ceramic or nitride?) Also always a high quality bearing grease instead of oils.

patrick lsp 04-28-2009 06:09 AM

i had wondered about the precision of bearings. i bought the cheap ones. advantage i think. just regular. they are the flanged bearing that losi uses in their diffs. i have notice the whole drivetrain is rolling more free everytime i clean and oil. i guessing the wd 40 is chewing up the grease inside the bearings. i have used simple green, a mist of water to rinse, then compressed air to blow out as much as i can. last a good dose of wd into every bearing opening i can get to. i have talked to several people that have done this for years with no problems and several people who tell me do not use wd 40. they say it will rust inside your bearing..... anyway i put everything back together, and it is alot tighter than it was. i may experiment with a couple more shims to see if i can get it any tighter.

mikesd1980 04-28-2009 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by patrick lsp (Post 5742245)
i guessing the wd 40 is chewing up the grease inside the bearings. i have used simple green, a mist of water to rinse, then compressed air to blow out as much as i can. last a good dose of wd into every bearing opening i can get to. i have talked to several people that have done this for years with no problems and several people who tell me do not use wd 40. they say it will rust inside your bearing.

So what to use if not WD40? I been using since last year because that is what I was told to use after I clean my stuff and blow it out.

Integra 04-28-2009 07:03 AM

you want a tick of play between the R+P mesh and no more....as for cleaning method's...that's a whole other story. :nod: