R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default buggy or truggy

Hello everyone,

I just have a couple of questions...I'm fairly new to the rc world....My only experience with rc cars was when i bought an electric RC10 ten years ago ...Im thinking about buying an off-road nitro buggy or truggy and dont know which way to go. What do you think? Is it like comparing apple to oranges...some people like oranges and others like apples? The only differences I know is that truggy's have a longer wheelbase and wider tires. Any other differences? And I am thinking about using it to race at a track..

Why are the kit versions more expensive than the RTR versions?
Im thinking about getting the new Team Losi 8ieght 2.0 buggy race roller kit and its only 50 dollars less the RTR version. The kit, though, doesnt come with the engine, pipe, radio, servos, starter box, and other parts. If you add all those things you could spend over 1000 dollars. Thats alot more than 699. I would love to get the kit because part of the fun is putting it together. But I dont know if its worth the higher price. Do you get better quality parts in the kit?

Any help would be great...thanks
srbraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

The kits will ALWAYS be better. The RTR's cut corners usually with cheaper radio and servos as well as stamped aluminum instead of milled or carbon fiber. In the long run it will cost MUCH more to replace the lesser quality parts. That said, RTR's do have there place. But the frustration they bring can turn some people off. If you go that route you should plan on immediatley upgrading the servo's. Get the best you can afford. Never skimp ther or you will pay for it. Also, there is no better way to learn your kit than to build it yourself. I would recommend the Xray 808. It is very easy to get setups on it and is THE most durable buggy out there. The price is a bit more but the fact that you never are never replacing broken parts saves you in the long run. For a RTR I would probably get the Losi 2.0 as much as it hurts me to say it! LOL

Oh yeah, get a buggy first then a truggy. It will make you a better driver.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Kit versions of vehicles have all the upgraded parts that you would end up putting on your RTR vehicle. So in the long run it's actually cheaper to put the kit version IF you already have a transmitter and receiver and starter box.

Since it sounds like you don't have this gear, you may be better off with the rtr version and just upgrade parts as needed.

FYI, the Losi 8ight 2.0 race roller is a great buggy. However your argument of "building" it is invalid since it comes pre built.

Comparing buggies to truggies is like comparing apples and oranges. Buggies ride lower and are much more responsive to throttle input and Truggies are larger and a little less responsive. Both are exciting classes to run, and no one can really tell you which you would prefer more.
www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.karz.ca
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Truggys are easier to drive and more durable than buggys. Truggys are great for beginners as they are more forgiven. The large tires act as large pillows when cartwheeling down the track. As far as what brand is better I'm not even going to entertain that argument. Truth your lhs has a wall of parts for every brand they carry. All brands break and wear some more than others. Good drivers have few issues with any brand and breakage. Generally because they are less apt to put their vehicles in situations where they break. Just by the one you like is always best.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

IMO, if you can drive a buggy fast, you can drive a truggy fast. but I don't think it goes the opposite way. if you can drive a truggy fast doesn't really mean you can drive a buggy fast. JMO
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 266 (98%+)

I like the forgiveness of a truggy and its just as fast as a buggy and sometimes faster on a rough track they get through the whoop sections a little faster.
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would have to say that a truggy would probably be better starting out. In my area at least, the truggy class is a lot more laid back and fun than the buggy class where everybody is a lot more serious. The truggy will be better bashing too and more forgiving to drive on the race track. As far as the rtr vs. pro kit argument, I do agree that you will spend more eventually on the rtr, but with the Losi, it comes with a pretty good radio (DX3S), a starter box (a huge plus), a decent engine (SH based .28), and a solid truck. About the only things you will want to upgrade immediately is the servos and the shock towers. You could probably get away with only upgrading the steering servo and moving the stock servo to the throttle/brake position if money is real tight. Whatever you get, you should expect some issues (tuning/breakage) until you get some experience. Your best bet is to buddy up with someone that has some experience that can help you. Good luck
mechanic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
IMO, if you can drive a buggy fast, you can drive a truggy fast. but I don't think it goes the opposite way. if you can drive a truggy fast doesn't really mean you can drive a buggy fast. JMO
I'm going the truggy route, mainly because I have a .28 LRP already broken in, and I don't even want to attempt to try and race a buggy, plus I have a bad tendency for not landing well.

Truggy-
Pros- more durable, easier to drive, better for less experienced racers
Cons- Not as nimble, more expensive tires (generally)

Buggy-
Pros- more nimble (pro or con, depends on how you look at it), faster,
cheaper tires
Cons- Can be not as durable, not as forgiving

Our track runs both classes, with quite a few people in each. Just see what your LHS carries and go from there.

And most important, talk to other racers. Get their opinions.

Just my non-experienced $.02
Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Yea like a couple of the guys said always go with the kit. not only is it better but you learn the car. and how to somewhat tune it
rcracer209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

i drove a losi eight t and a buggy i would defiely say that a truggy is stable as hell and its slower in the corners cause if the big tires so its like let off stay on the gas a little and brake or they fell like a dump truck to me,they do jump a lot diffrent the truggy kind of nose ups a lot mre but you can fix that with tap of brake. i like the buggy better its handles better to me and jumps a lot easier and lands more evenly i like truggy but i wish the tires whould be the same price as buggy tires.
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote