R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default Duratrax Universal Starter Box VS Losi 8ight -T RTR

I bought a Duratrax bump box (nib for 49.99)and it wont work on my 8ight_t RTR 1.0! What will work? I was looking at the 8ight bump box that is supposed to work on my truggy but it is 75.00 clams The problem is the motor mounts position the flywheel about 1.8 of an inch recessed beneath the chassis. I opened up the hole a bit and smoothed the edges but it still barely makes contact with the bump box wheel. I thought about shaving the motor mounts but then I have to deal with spur gear alignment and throttle servo linkage angle to the carb etc. What are you guys using? I have seen bump boxes in action and they look like they would be nice to have.
BTW I am selling the one I just bought, so if you are near 97080 ?
__________________
"He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it"
Neal Peart / Geddy Lee
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The **current generation of Losi 8ight RTRs won't work with a starter box (even the Losi box itself). The reason is that the Spin-Start backplate extends below the engine and makes the engine not fit on standard engine mounts. The RTR mounts are too high for a starter box wheel to touch the flywheel.

You can get a new backplate for the engine and the regular engine mounts.

Engine mounts: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9001

I don't know the backplate part number, though. The RTR engine is a Dynamite Mach 427 (.26), so you cold start searching for that. You want the non-pullstart, non-spinstart.

Or, keep using your Spin-Start until the engine is worn out, then replace it with a standard engine without Spin-Start.



** Losi has changed the next generation (being released over the next month or two) RTRs so that they will use a starter box.
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default So if...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr04 View Post
The **current generation of Losi 8ight RTRs won't work with a starter box (even the Losi box itself). The reason is that the Spin-Start backplate extends below the engine and makes the engine not fit on standard engine mounts. The RTR mounts are too high for a starter box wheel to touch the flywheel.

You can get a new backplate for the engine and the regular engine mounts.

Engine mounts: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9001

I don't know the backplate part number, though. The RTR engine is a Dynamite Mach 427 (.26), so you cold start searching for that. You want the non-pullstart, non-spinstart.

Or, keep using your Spin-Start until the engine is worn out, then replace it with a standard engine without Spin-Start.



** Losi has changed the next generation (being released over the next month or two) RTRs so that they will use a starter box.
If I took the spinstart back plate off and got a KHZ or equivalent engine mount you're saying it should work? what about the throttle linkage and the clutch bell to spur alignment?
__________________
"He's old enough to know what's right
But young enough not to choose it"
Neal Peart / Geddy Lee
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
ICBeloitRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

It shouldn't be affected by moving the engine down a little, as long as you can move the engine sideways as well to keep the gear mesh optimal. if the throttle linkage forms too much of an angle, you can try switching it to the bottom of the servo.
__________________
"Next time he shows up, kick him in the Balls!! You should be able to win then."
TLR 22 2.0 MM/Trackstar II 120A/LRP 10.5/Turnigy/Airtronics/AKA
BSR BT-4 USGT/Trackstar 80A 21.5/Turnigy/Airtronics/RIDE
TLR 8ight-E 3.0/Trackstar/Hobbystar 1450 kV/Turnigy/Airtronics/AKA
ICBeloitRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Tech Regular
 
markr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 421
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
If I took the spinstart back plate off and got a KHZ or equivalent engine mount you're saying it should work? what about the throttle linkage and the clutch bell to spur alignment?
No, you have to replace the backplate, too. You need: 1) standard backplate and 2) losi standard engine mounts.

Read this:
8 rtr w/ mach 427, removing roto start for bump start
__________________
Xray 808 2010 Spec - O.S. V-Spec Speed - Airtronics M11-DSSS
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 - RB Killer 9 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
Losi XXX-CR - Tekin RS / Novak Ballistic 13.5 - Airtronics M11-FHSS-2
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr04 View Post
No, you have to replace the backplate, too. You need: 1) standard backplate and 2) losi standard engine mounts.

Read this:
8 rtr w/ mach 427, removing roto start for bump start
+1

The sportwerks backplate has been discontinued, but dynamite still makes the same part.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN0960
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 4,835
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
+1

The sportwerks backplate has been discontinued, but dynamite still makes the same part.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN0960
Jammin, Here is the link you had asked me about...looks like Carolinas has 15% off on all the J Concepts product

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...anufacturer=38
__________________
Owner of the Speed Shop: A race prep shop for anything related to 1/10 and 1/8 off road racing. Check us out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Speed-Shop/382214705269137?ref=bookmarks
ABURTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:33 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net