R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Flame Outs!!!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/292815-flame-outs.html)

Brian C 04-26-2009 05:23 PM

Flame Outs!!!!

Any advice? Since moving to outdoor season(much larger daredevil jumps!) we have struggled severely to run a complete race without motor trouble. I'm trying to be patient with learning to tune but very frustrating. It seems that the engines normally die after 'crash' landings or flips. Is it normal for the engine to die after casing a jump, don't know if flywheel is hitting or what.

easyryder 04-26-2009 05:36 PM

Tuning is an art, it depends upon the wheel man, weather, track, traction, bearing condition, clutch condition, tire choice, engine choice, etc etc. Practice like a matha fool and figure it out:cool:

jrwoodchuck 04-26-2009 06:12 PM

sometimes the chassis flex in a sutuation that will hit the clutch bell and stall the engine. a fix that some guys do is going to the king headz extended engine mount or most just add washers between the engine and mount to lift the engine up a little to give the bell more room.

Brian C 07-16-2009 11:45 AM

Found probable cause, maybe will help some other newbies like me. Found that if you don't rev the gas during the pit stop, post pit flameout goes away!:weird: Learn something new everytime we go out!

houston 07-16-2009 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Babygrand48 (Post 6076076)
Found probable cause, maybe will help some other newbies like me. Found that if you don't rev the gas during the pit stop, post pit flameout goes away!:weird: Learn something new everytime we go out!

rev three times quick before the pit , when lid opens off throttle , rev rev rev with about medium throttle as soon as lid closes , keep blipping throttle for a few corners after the pit stop .

or have the engine tuneed properly :D trust me guys , i screwed up alot of engines figuring out how to make them run properly , now it is like second nature to me . take your time and pay attention to the guys that have it figured out already ;)

roadracer43 07-16-2009 02:56 PM

I guess Ive been doing something right. Im on gallon #3 and havent flamed out yet with my n21bf limited. oops, I better knock on wood !!

rcgeezer 07-16-2009 03:20 PM

Using a clean-burning fuel like Cold Fusion helps to erradicate (oooh..nice word!) those pesky flame outs as well. Helps with the idle too!:nod::nod:

Frank L 07-16-2009 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by rcgeezer (Post 6076732)
Using a clean-burning fuel like Cold Fusion helps to erradicate (oooh..nice word!) those pesky flame outs as well. Helps with the idle too!:nod::nod:

+1 on what rcgeezer said :nod:

No flameouts since I have been using coldfusion fuel and I mean NO FLAMEOUTS... Engine tune, proper idle and fuel are the primary reasons. Sometimes a plug goes bad as well.

Brian C 07-16-2009 10:09 PM

Hey Frank, don't help too much! Already beat ya at River Front last month:lol:Just poking a little fun! Worst part was my congrats, "Way to score one for the old guys!" I wish I could be at Madera this weekend to try it again but doesn't look like thats going to happen. Good luck and maybe see ya at Delta next month. Oh yeah, don't know the driver just the Truggy and name.

Momentum 07-16-2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Babygrand48 (Post 5735091)
I'm trying to be patient with learning to tune but very frustrating. It seems that the engines normally die after 'crash' landings or flips. Is it normal for the engine to die after casing a jump, don't know if flywheel is hitting or what.

I stuggled with this same problem for my first year of running nitro offroad. My simple rule of thumb is that if it happens, I'm running the bottom end too lean.

I haven't been proven wrong yet. :D

Cache Ya,
Craig.

Frank L 07-16-2009 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Babygrand48 (Post 6078301)
Hey Frank, don't help too much! Already beat ya at River Front last month:lol:Just poking a little fun! Worst part was my congrats, "Way to score one for the old guys!" I wish I could be at Madera this weekend to try it again but doesn't look like thats going to happen. Good luck and maybe see ya at Delta next month. Oh yeah, don't know the driver just the Truggy and name.

Brian you may have beat me that time; however, the total points dont lie hehehe. J/K that was a good race and yes you did have me by 2/3 of a lap. Thats too bad about CRV on Sat. its the norcal series. Well see you soon.

Frank L 07-16-2009 10:58 PM

Ohh yea BTW what kinda truggy are you driving, please dont say a hot bodies. I have been beat by too many HB's lately. Phillip says I'm disgracing the losi name. :ha:

rcgeezer 07-16-2009 11:34 PM

That's funny right there!:lol::lol::lol:

token 07-17-2009 05:59 AM

Sounds like you RICH -I think maybe when its landing you get off the throttle and it just overloads with fuel and when you go to hit the throtte it dies

Brian C 07-17-2009 07:55 AM

:nod:Great guess Frank, how'd you know? 2 races with D8T=qual 3rd and 1st and finish 4th and 1st:D. With Losi had only made 2 a mains in about 6 attempts!:cry:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/v...otos/photo.jpg