Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Differences in clutch bells...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Differences in clutch bells...

Kinda' a newbie question I know, but what are the categories in 1/8 clutch bells. I am pretty sure the main difference is the 'length' of the bell, but what category do the different manufactures fall in?

Most of the marketing says things like 'Kyosho type' or 'Mugen/Ofna', 'Losi style', etc.

Can someone categorize them? and maybe add some of the other brands, like Reckward, Racers Edge, Protek, etc.

Do they have standard dimensions?

What I do know, is it seems Kyosho makes the shortest, then comes more of a 'standard' size with Mugen and Ofna, and of course Losi's seem to be the longest. Where does xray's fall?

Thanks!

Just to get it out of the way before someone toots their own 'bell', "It's not the size of your bell, its how you use it" har har har =)
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

The pitch in 1/8 offroad is 32pitch, when purchasing a clutchbell make sure it is hardcoated otherwise you have to replace it very often. It also depends on the location distance between the spurgear and the engine mounting holes. Some clutchbells won't fit on another car while it is a perfect fit on your own car. K-Factory of Taiwan (http://www.kfactoryracing.com/produc...6505&pageNum=1) makes them and fit Team Magic and Kyosho buggies. Some bells use ball bearings while other needle bearings: http://www.ofna.com/parts-search.php Best thing is to look if the manufacter of your car make standard or upgraded (hardcoated) clutch bells.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

It is also possible that the teeth are slightly different and will not mesh properly with your spur gear, which can cause all kinds of headaches
Old 04-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Hmm, I was under the impression that many of them were interchangeable because they were primarily built on standards. I knew there were some differences, like Kyosho style was different from OFNA which of course is different from Losi. Good to know. I am glad I didn't just buy anything.

I am looking for a cheaper replacement for my xray 808. The xray clutch bell comes with bearings, and I prefer to replace my bearings with other brands (typically Avid) anyway, so I don't want to pay more for the bearings that I just replace. I have many Losi clutch bells and I know those are different (longer). I also don't use the xray clutch setup, but rather the Fioroni Turbo Sliding. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The ofna bells work with both the Xray spur and the Fioroni clutch