R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not impressed, honestly. I haven't been to a track yet where I didn't find a different tire that worked better than M3 Calibers. Some tracks, med-soft K2s are the ticket, other tracks I use JC 7evens or AKA Grid Irons or Panther soft Raptors.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Anyone know if the Caliber VTR 4.0 tires will work with the AKA wheels? These are for the 1/8 truggy.

Thanks
HEFFAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEFFAE View Post
Anyone know if the Caliber VTR 4.0 tires will work with the AKA wheels? These are for the 1/8 truggy.

Thanks

They ONLY fit VTR rims.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #34
Tech Initiate

Figures, thanks Integra.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Im almost entirely an AKA fan but I did try a set of Calibers and was really impressed at how well they hooked up at my home track when it was dry. The track is hard packed with slight dust on top and smooth. The Calibers shine when the track dries out. If they water the surface and I run the Calibers, they gum up and I lose traction....not a good tire for wet surface for my taste. But, i really like them on dry surface and have no AKA that will out perform this tire on dry. The only problem is, I have a ton of AKA'a already and this is just another set of tires to keep clean and pack around....I look like the goodyear truck at a Nascar event....tires everywhere. Proline did a great job!
Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #36
Tech Initiate

Well, I can say they definately look sweet, can't wait to try them out in the 30 minute main this Sunday.

I did notice the AKA wheels are the same dimension as the Pro-line VTR 4.0, looks like they'll work, anyone know why these won't work with the Calibiber VTR's?

Thanks,
HEFFAE
Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

I have a set of M2's I haven't glued up yet. I'm going to try them out this coming weekend. I tried the M3 Revolvers and man do they work great on a hard dry surface! They are quickly becoming one of my favorite tires.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #38
Tech Lord

Quote:
Well, I can say they definately look sweet, can't wait to try them out in the 30 minute main this Sunday.

I did notice the AKA wheels are the same dimension as the Pro-line VTR 4.0, looks like they'll work, anyone know why these won't work with the Calibiber VTR's?

Thanks,
HEFFAE

they have a buggy bead NOT a truggy bead and there for wont fit worth a bean.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

these tires work great but if the track has any sort of grove after one race day they are fried. i will stick with aka tires. tires are too expensive to only get one day out of them.
lalmog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #40
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks
I have those on my 8T 2.0 and to be honest I like the proline rims better. I have not cracked a single proline rim. 80% of the AKA rims have cracked on this truck. I did not have this problem with the 1.0 but for some reason the 2.0 truck likes to crack rims. The only thing I have noticed is the caliber tires have a few spots where they are coming off the rim. The glue has failed. I did not have this problem with the AKA rims. The new set I just glued I sanded and wiped the old set I just wiped them off. With AKA I dont even wipe them off just put the tire on the rim and glue. I will see if the sanding makes any difference. So far I like the new proline tires on the truggy.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #41
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burst View Post
Im almost entirely an AKA fan but I did try a set of Calibers and was really impressed at how well they hooked up at my home track when it was dry. The track is hard packed with slight dust on top and smooth. The Calibers shine when the track dries out. If they water the surface and I run the Calibers, they gum up and I lose traction....not a good tire for wet surface for my taste. But, i really like them on dry surface and have no AKA that will out perform this tire on dry. The only problem is, I have a ton of AKA'a already and this is just another set of tires to keep clean and pack around....I look like the goodyear truck at a Nascar event....tires everywhere. Proline did a great job!
I had the same experience with a soaked track that dries out within the first 2-5 mins of a 30 min main. I sprayed the calibers with WD40 and ran them in the soaked track. They did not cake up and get loose. Then when the track dried up they hooked up even better. A very very wise man taught me this trick. Ohh BTW did I mention he was a very wise man.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #42
Tech Lord

Frank L the VTR's have a glue trap thingy.....are you filling it up or just relying on the glue that oozes out when you do the 2nd bead ?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #43
Tech Initiate

I guess what I'm wondering exactly is: Are the AKA wheels the same as the VTR 4.0 as far as outer diameter (height) and gluing bead? I know the width is the same.
I have both the buggy & the truggy AKA rims, do you suggest one over the other for the truggy tires?

Thanks again,
HEFFAE
Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #44
Tech Lord

Quote:
I guess what I'm wondering exactly is: Are the AKA wheels the same as the VTR 4.0 as far as outer diameter (height) and gluing bead? I know the width is the same.
I have both the buggy & the truggy AKA rims, do you suggest one over the other for the truggy tires?

Thanks again,
HEFFAE

for the VTR tires you HAVE TO HAVE TO run the proline rims.....the VTR's whole deal is the buggy lip and the new foam.....there for you Must use the Proline VTR rims for the VTR tires.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
for the VTR tires you HAVE TO HAVE TO run the proline rims.....the VTR's whole deal is the buggy lip and the new foam.....there for you Must use the Proline VTR rims for the VTR tires.
We received some Calibers in stock yesterday and I was just examining them. It does look like the only wheel they'll work on is the Pro-Line VTR. I haven't had any personal experience with them but they sure look like a nice setup. They are really lightweight coming in at 1.835 lbs ( 832 g ) for the whole round of 2 sets of PRO903202 Caliber M3 (total of 4 tires) and 1 set of PRO280004 white zero offset VTR wheels (total of 4 wheels).
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetai...prod=PRO903202
http://www.overdriverc.com/proddetai...prod=PRO280004
khudzik is offline   Reply With Quote