R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

[QUOTE=SkarTisu;5833824]Not all ROAR regions hold nitro regionals, for what that's worth.

I understand that. But I'm speaking a big "if". If that were to be the plan then obviously Roar would have "one track in each region" who hosted a regional race. This race would be mandatory should you feel the need to attend the nationals. Drivers would then be selected in each region by the finish at that event. I think drivers would show up. I'm not sure that's the solution but I have gave it a little thought...it might work.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #107
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Why not let the top 100 guys at the previous years nats or previous couple years nats have the first shot at sign ups? Or block 10 spots for every team. Either way the fastest guys need to be let in this years race because its a worlds quailfier.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

good to see interest in this concept of having to qualify for Nationals. Although I don't think anyone is implying this should be incorporated this year. This is clearly a discussion for a future years event.

Although I don't get peoples reasoning that the need to be able to get to nats in order to run with the "big boys". you have countless events to choose from that attract even more talent than Nats throughout the year. Nitro challenge, manufactures cup, CRCRC winterchamps, etc... the list is long. Nationals throughout our sports history has always been the preeminent event in this country and is second to only the IFMAR worlds for depth of talent. It is already an elite event but it is only one. So making room for the fast guys to have their "one" event a year and sportsman have access to every other event in the country the whole other time seems only fair.

whatever path ROAR takes in regard to this I only hope they approach it with something simple and with the ability to modify in accordance with the organizations' needs and the demands of the racers. hence why I recommended a very simple and loose point(s) system that would be easier to implement, with just enough meaning to get the infrastructure of tracks and events in place. so when more stringent qualifying standards are enacted, you have a good idea of what is needed and what the "system" (of tracks and events) can accomodate.

Because yes, not every area of the country has regional events, sanctioned by ROAR. And it will take time to get these tracks/events to consider ROAR sanction. But having the Carrot that is Nationals to entice everyone to join can only help the future of ROAR, Which opens up another whole bag of bolts. cause right now for most of us it is a one race membership, and I can't see that as sound foundation of growth or sustainability.
johnny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Chris, Your offroad skills are getting better for sure. Get your entry in and get on the waiting list as soon as you can so you have a chance of getting in. See ya at the pro series.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #110
Tech Apprentice

Appreciate it Shane, im just trying to buy tires lol.. In my first post I wasnt meaning to come off like the super pro offroad master Mr. Kingston. Simply tht. their are several good drivers tht. didnt have a prayer of getting in Andy Moore etc.. Just thinking out loud. So Back on getting in a Roar Nats these days. How did you go about getting your entry in Shane? I want to apply your tackets for the on-road fuel!
Thanks
CD
CDSUPERPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #111
Tech Addict

Dawn, maybe a dumb question, but out of the last five 1/8 scale buggy and truggy Nat's, how many have sold out all available slots?

As far as qualifying to get in, I think this topic has been around for at least 20 years, never has gone anywhere. Not saying it won't get some traction now, but somebody is going to have to put together an equitable plan that takes into account the different size and participation levels of all regions for it to work. A nightmare task at best.

Ed M.
bentgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #112
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm definitely ready to go up to expert as I have ran that class before and I definitely like running with them as it pushes me to get better to compete with them.

When I was talking about this idea I had I was thinking about in the future a few years down the road same as Johnny T and after reading more of the posts I agree that qualifying may be a good idea, but trying to get tracks to become ROAR members and sign up for the task is going to be a problem and has to be thought and will be definitely a hard task.

I think why this year is sold out quickly too is looking at the names there are alot of drivers that are running both the buggy and truggy, but combining them I know as well was a cost saving measure and a good one too with the way the economy is and gas prices going up again.

I think why there was so many this year too besides being a worlds qualifyer is the race is in the midwest region and there is a lot of drivers in this area especially with all the main distribution centers being in IL.

Going into this point I agree too that the Nats is the meca for showing the best of the best and a race like this you may find that sleeper driver that creates a name for himself. I haven't read the rule book fully yet, but I've been thinking about instead of having just one race for the worlds qualifying maybe have two worlds qualifyers separate from the nats. One on the west coast and one on the east coast.

It got me thinking of this idea from some of the hearsay and other forums about some of the factory drivers not getting into the nats I have feeling this is as to why some are a bit unhappy. This way the nats is left unchanged in format and when the years a worlds race is coming up the pros can go out and try to qualify for the worlds unhinder.

Now this is just coming from a guy bored at work with nothing better to do than to think about about rc and race ideas. ROAR does a great job and not trying to step on anyone's toes but just trying to provide helpful suggestions for the future.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Chris, They opened up on line registration on a Wed. at noon. I don't remember the date. You could pay your entry fee through paypal.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgear View Post
Dawn, maybe a dumb question, but out of the last five 1/8 scale buggy and truggy Nat's, how many have sold out all available slots?
None. This is the first time.

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 05-20-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverbob View Post
It got me thinking of this idea from some of the hearsay and other forums about some of the factory drivers not getting into the nats I have feeling this is as to why some are a bit unhappy.
Well, I haven't read anything anywhere else but I have received numerous phone calls and emails from team managers asking me to 'pull a few strings' to get some of their guys in. Basically, the answer is..... registration opened at the same time for everybody. Yes, it filled fast and although harsh to say, I'm sure... if this race was as important as it being said after the fact of not getting in on time, then I guess that person isn't really that serious of promoting the product now are they? Its a pro drivers JOB to race events and be sure they are entered and all eligibility requirements are met. I have no sympathy for anybody who contacted me with excuses. 371 entries made it on time, which was about 5 days before it filled.

The website forums were SPAMMED two days prior that registration was opening in 48 hours. The ROAR WEBSITE had an announcement posted on 1/1/09 regarding opening of registration and that announcement was posted on the home page 7 days prior to this particular events opening. ROAR cannot and will not be responsible for individual contact of all members - that is what a central meeting site is for.. www.roarracing.com

Although, with that said, ALL MAJOR companies were notified either by myself, our technical director or our competition director of the registration opening up. ALL MAJOR companies. If those team managers were out of the country or unavailable, messages were left with their staff or voice mail. Again, ALL MAJOR companies were notified. Of which, I think is WAY beyond our responsiblity and I did not agree with the action but we were trying to avoid the backlash from those who simply didn't move fast enough and then chose to blame me and the leadership of ROAR.

Point being - yes. There are drivers who are sponsored and are not going to attend the nationals this year and are planning on resuming into the WC event, as they have always been able to do in the past. We are not pleased that anybody will be turned away from racing a ROAR event but.... we cannot and will not make rules singling out anybody for an advantage in any ROAR event.

A qualification process must be started. The only issue is not every region runs every class of racing so.. what to do for those racers who live in a region that off road fuel is not popular? Is ROAR going to force people to travel further distances because the regional system is not ensuring racing? There are too many big races now a days and too many choices. There has to be another way.... and for that, ROAR leadership is willing to listen.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #116
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dawn, If you guys let all the company's know when sign-ups opened then don't feel bad at all if all the top guys didn't get in. I didn't know that you had done that and It makes me feel better knowing that you tried to make sure all the fastest racers got in.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

Looking at the waiting list it makes me feel bad I am taking up a spot. On the other hand though, if this is such a big deal wouldn't you think this would have been circled on calendars? I for one made sure my membership was current back in January.

The bad part about this is the statement that this is the first one that has sold out, mostly due to this being the first year combining the classes. Actually this is a recombining because years way back the fuel nationals had 2-3 classes.

As a Roar Member, and since this is the first time this race has filled up so fast, I think there should be a "last call" and just bump the waiting list onto the active list. Most likely if those drivers just showed up they would be allowed into the program anyway due to cancellations. This being a world qualifier year, we shouldn't be using this as an example. This is just 2 extra heats, I know I know, add these and then more will sign up...but next year is the time to be saying we know this race is going to fill fast so don't dilly dally around thinking Roar will accommodate you. Maybe Roar will be able to have the start of a qualification system for this race, but I really don't think is needed. Shouldn't the companies profiting from the racers be financially supporting this event at least in part? For this support the companies would get reserved spots for the race.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #118
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmayor View Post
As a Roar Member, and since this is the first time this race has filled up so fast, I think there should be a "last call" and just bump the waiting list onto the active list.
Please note a post I made several weeks ago requesting those unsure of their attendance to request a refund now. This was posted on several sites and I will be making additional requests as the race comes closer.

Yes...... IF A RACER IS UNSURE OF THEIR ABILITY TO ATTEND, PLEASE, CONTACT EITHER ME OR THE ADMINISTRATOR AND YOU WILL RECEIVE A FULL REFUND FOR YOUR ENTRY. Those on the waiting list deserve a break..
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmayor View Post
Shouldn't the companies profiting from the racers be financially supporting this event at least in part? For this support the companies would get reserved spots for the race.
Could you elaborate your meaning on this? I would like to respond but I'm not sure I totally get your point.

thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to RCmayor

It means they pay to play... If a company sponsors the event in part they get a certain number of spots for their race team.
RCmayor is offline   Reply With Quote