R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

...or put a set of TKO ceramics in it that will outlast the conrod and the crank about 5 times over.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

lol you pay $300 for an engine you shouldnt have to replace bearings, frankly ive had $110 sh engines run 8 gallons on a set of bearings.
Not knocking Vspecs and Ive owned a few its just a little silly replacing bearings on a brand new race engine. two of my early Vspecs chrome flaked off the bearing race and took out the rod bushing on the crank.
id love to try a speed but way out of my budget lol.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatzstuff View Post
I bought an RC8 on Ebay and then splurged on the V-spec since that was what I was told everyone was racing. It died after less than a gallon. I wanted to cry. Really.... a good old-fashioned, I just blew $300 cry.

I bought the N21b Limited for $150 and it is awesome! I will eventually buy another V-spec because I am a glutton for punishment, but in the meantime the Nova is fast enough that I can clear everything that the other guys can, and no one leaves me in their dust down the front stretch.

My advice, if you are new to 1/8th scale like me, buy the Nova, and save the $100 for tires, clutch bearings, and a new body. You will need them soon.

Good luck!
+1

Best advice hands down. Sounds like your on a limited budget. You will need tires, nitro and CB bearings. Save your money learn on proven quality engines RB's and NOVA's. They are built to last more forgiven to a rookie who will make rookie mistakes. RB S5 is a good stout engine and can power buggy or truggy. A friend of mine runs the Nova BF limited and he's leading our point series. You will need a new set a tires about ever 4-5 races depending on your track. High traction = high tire wear. A gallon of nitro about every 2 races and thats if you don't practice any. Save your money!!!

Myth Buster 1. The faster your engine the faster your buggy or truggy. If this was the case The OS Speed which is hands down the fastest engine would win every race. Actually the better you can control the power you have the faster your buggy or truggy.

Good drivers often either insert smaller restictors into there carbs. Not to get better mileage but better control. Or they turn down there epa so the carb can't open all the way. Thus reducing the engines power so they maintain better control.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
lol you pay $300 for an engine you shouldnt have to replace bearings, frankly ive had $110 sh engines run 8 gallons on a set of bearings.
Not knocking Vspecs and Ive owned a few its just a little silly replacing bearings on a brand new race engine. two of my early Vspecs chrome flaked off the bearing race and took out the rod bushing on the crank.
id love to try a speed but way out of my budget lol.
Sorry, but every engine should have bearings replaced. The only reason there is so much V-spec hatred is because it is the most popular .21 race engine. That means more possibility of bad feedback, or any feedback for that matter. Plain and simple every nitro engine should have bearings and rod replaced after break-in. And IMO an engine that hasn't had that done, hasn't been maintained properly. I presonally have 7-8 gallons on my standard v-spec and it is running as strong as day 1. Changed bearings and rod at about 5 gallons(later than I would have liked) with TKO ceramics and a standard v-spec rod. IMO a good upgrade for the v-spec would be a speed/JX ninja rod, however I already had the v-spec rod. Just my opinion.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I can see a new rod after breakin but bearings l, A good bearing only needs to be replaced when it loses tollerance. If a bearing flakes its chrome its not a good bearing simple as that, the stock Vspec bearings back when I had mine in 05-06 did just this on two motors. What im getting at is the Spec is a good engine OS should have just put better bearings in from the start(from the very first VZB in 02) and charged a little more for the engine.
Nova had a problem with bearings in 05 and they were quick to rectify the problem and even warrentied the engines that went south because of them.
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote