Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Home made Pre Filter's

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default Home made Pre Filter's

Hey all, Im very curious to how well or not the Pre Filters that are on Ebay work. Im from the UK and a mate orderd some before but never arrived-Shipping issues.. So Im wondering whether to order some and hope they come.. or maybe thinking of making some of my own.... Im not going to sell, them but wondering if like old Tight's cut ect.. would work to make some cheap outerfilter's.. or similar material.. any one tried with good results?? As Im thinking the material is very breathable..you could make a few from a pair of old tights.. and _MAY_ be easy to do? what are your thoughts.. The only prob I can see is durability.. and possibly being near the engine.. when hot could split it or something.. would be interesting to try...??
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive seen people use some of that sticky gause bandage, seemed to work fine

just use it till its dirty and toss it
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've seen used pant-hose as a prefilter worked as good.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, It seems a reasonable.. idea.. use it a few times toss it.. new one.. Will hopefully save replacing the foams as often. And ecspecially now.. when the tracks are getting more dusty by the day.. Im about to try a few ideas.. and see how they work out.. or not haha May order one anyway.. but want to try my idea..
Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jamiekerr14
Hey all, Im very curious to how well or not the Pre Filters that are on Ebay work. Im from the UK and a mate orderd some before but never arrived-Shipping issues.. So Im wondering whether to order some and hope they come.. or maybe thinking of making some of my own.... Im not going to sell, them but wondering if like old Tight's cut ect.. would work to make some cheap outerfilter's.. or similar material.. any one tried with good results?? As Im thinking the material is very breathable..you could make a few from a pair of old tights.. and _MAY_ be easy to do? what are your thoughts.. The only prob I can see is durability.. and possibly being near the engine.. when hot could split it or something.. would be interesting to try...??
Just order from ebay, you will get them. The dude has 100% feedback, and he's shipped thousands of those things world wide.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Yea, I think I will.. I will I kinda want the Extra Vent ones.. which have better air flow.. but he only has 1 on.. and its not Buy It Now.. as I want to order it now.. as im sure it will take a little while to arrive.. is there much difference in the 2? And another thing, can you Use-Clean-Use-Clean ect.. or should you replace them reasonably often too?? As if you have to keep chucking them.. I will probally give them a miss. at it would get more exspensive than foams..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

they can be re-used for years
Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Test 1.. ok.. not great.. can come off unless you have to redo it again. takes a while.. Needs chords to pull tight.. which I dont have..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

back in the day i used to race 4 wheelers i.e atv's and would grab a old pair of my gilrfriends workout tights and they worked great and one pair could do quite a few filters depending on how big your old lady is .. haahaha ....
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Yea, If they work and hold.. then yea.. I can see this being a more cost effective way.. of keeping foams for longer..
Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BAYCITYSTEVE
back in the day i used to race 4 wheelers i.e atv's and would grab a old pair of my gilrfriends workout tights and they worked great and one pair could do quite a few filters depending on how big your old lady is .. haahaha ....
Yep spandex ( the kind with the shiny surface) works great and so do the colored nylons.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Yea, I think I will.. I will I kinda want the Extra Vent ones.. which have better air flow.. but he only has 1 on.. and its not Buy It Now.. as I want to order it now.. as im sure it will take a little while to arrive.. is there much difference in the 2? And another thing, can you Use-Clean-Use-Clean ect.. or should you replace them reasonably often too?? As if you have to keep chucking them.. I will probally give them a miss. at it would get more exspensive than foams..
Yes, the whole point is that they are re-usable/washable. I think the standard flow ones are better. The hi-flow one only comes in neon green, but it is intended to favor airflow over dirt protection. The first time you check your filter after running one of these covers, you'll see what I mean. They keep those foam pre-filter edges tight to the filter housing, improving that seal. You can also run a bit more oil on the foam pre-filter, without everything sticking to it.

Run the hi-flow one on race day, and the standard flow style on practice days. I've been doing this for years with success, have saved tons of money on foam, and my motors last longer.

This pic is a good example of how this works:

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

try a microphone foam cover.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Yes, the whole point is that they are re-usable/washable. I think the standard flow ones are better. The hi-flow one only comes in neon green, but it is intended to favor airflow over dirt protection. The first time you check your filter after running one of these covers, you'll see what I mean. They keep those foam pre-filter edges tight to the filter housing, improving that seal. You can also run a bit more oil on the foam pre-filter, without everything sticking to it.

Run the hi-flow one on race day, and the standard flow style on practice days. I've been doing this for years with success, have saved tons of money on foam, and my motors last longer.

This pic is a good example of how this works:

I have been using the same red one for almost a year now. Works well.
I saw where someone mention the sticky stuff. It has many names but I know it as Vet Wrap. It is used for bandaging. It works fine, just dont wrap it around more than once or your carb will sufficate.