R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default BIG PROBLEM!

Ok. my air filter is off. Carburator is closed exept for the very small gap. Needle is only open one and a quater. Engine is running at full speed when i crank it. What the hell is wrong.....

furthermore i was trying to tune it down and it wouldn't and the engine was smoking out the top. Wasn't more then about 15 seconds but the engine was very damn HOT.

can anybody help me and did i blow my engine.

is there anything that could be wrong with my carburator to where the air flow would not matter???? I mean there has to be way to much gas in there.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Tech Master

That depends did you lean the high speed needle till it was 1/8th turn from fully closed?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What engine/car is it?
Try richening it, might be too lean.
howtowakeakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
That depends did you lean the high speed needle till it was 1/8th turn from fully closed?

oh my god where is the high speed needle! i only see one needle when i take the filter off. THere is another one???? btw. mbx 6, m11 radio, ofna .26 engine (getting a ninja in a couple weeks)

I should get someone to help me. I am starting to think that i am not cut out for this
Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Tech Master

Alright man heres a class on carbs

They have three sometimes four needles.
The big golden one that sticks up is the high speed. This controls how much fuel overall goes into the engine
The low speed needle next to your throttle linkage is the low speed needle. This one controls how much fuel enters at low speeds.
The small screw next to the high speed is the idle screw.

From what I've read you leaned out the high speed way to much and wore out the engine. Get another cheap engine while you learn how to tune. Novarossi 21bf. ($150)
Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
oh my god where is the high speed needle! i only see one needle when i take the filter off. THere is another one????
the HSN (high speed needle) is the 'main needle' you said was set to one and a eighth turn from closed in your other post..

which is prolly about 5 turns too lean, and making your engine scream and smoke
Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Tech Elite

a blew my engine huh??? screw this. 2,000$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

almost a month of saving and putting it together, custom paint job everything now i go to start it as per the directions and the damn ENGINE F*%$#NG BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THIS CRAP I SELLING AND GETTING ELECTRIC. I AM PISSED.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

if you had read the directions for the engine, you would know the needles and would not be pissed
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
a blew my engine huh??? screw this. 2,000$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

almost a month of saving and putting it together, custom paint job everything now i go to start it as per the directions and the damn ENGINE F*%$#NG BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THIS CRAP I SELLING AND GETTING ELECTRIC. I AM PISSED.
Welcome to Ofna motors. I bought a GPX4 way back when and started it up first time out of the box and it blew because it was set at one turn out from closed from factory.

Get the Nova 21bf and be patient. Learning nitro is like learning to walk, slow and painful.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
Alright man heres a class on carbs

They have three sometimes four needles.
The big golden one that sticks up is the high speed. This controls how much fuel overall goes into the engine
The low speed needle next to your throttle linkage is the low speed needle. This one controls how much fuel enters at low speeds.
The small screw next to the high speed is the idle screw.

From what I've read you leaned out the high speed way to much and wore out the engine. Get another cheap engine while you learn how to tune. Novarossi 21bf. ($150)

You must think i am made out of money. this engine was given to me. If i get a engine it will be a good one and i will pay some one to tune it for me. and show me how to tune. I don't have 150 just to buy a cheep engine. I might as well sell it all and get a cheap RTR. But i like putting it together and everything. But after all this i am selling and getting electric. Plug the damn batteries and pull the damn trigger
Old 04-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

It is rather hard to screw it up if the directions were followed, I have a spare stock .28 engine lying around from my Associated MGT, I could sell it to you and you could use it to get the tuning part down, it is not fully broken in but does run, glow plug is good, set to factory settings, etc.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Tech Master

The nova is cheap in price but not quality. Paying some one to tune it is a waist. Go to the track and make friends that can teach you. Buying an expensive motor doesn't mean you can't kill it.

Have fun in electric and don't burn the motor up with gearing.
How much is it to convert the MBX6 to electric like $600 right? (lipos, conversion kit, motor/speedo combo, lipo charger)
Old 04-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Electric is MUCH more expensive, in my opinion, Not only do you need good quality LiPos, but you need a charger, balancer, ESC, motor, possibly a conversion kit, etc.

Keep what you have and learn from your experiences, no matter how bad.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtowakeakar View Post
Electric is MUCH more expensive, in my opinion, Not only do you need good quality LiPos, but you need a charger, balancer, ESC, motor, possibly a conversion kit, etc.

Keep what you have and learn from your experiences, no matter how bad.
+1 In my time I've killed so many little $80 motors when I was learning that it wasn't even funny. None of use are made of money, but we still spend it on this hobby and even when we're all pissed off and say F*** THIS! at the track when we cool down we still want to do it.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Give yourself a day or two or three to cool off. Bad things do happen from time to time to all of us. Make a level headed decision on what you want to do next. Do not rush yourself. You will make less mistakes and fewer wrong decisions. This is all cool stuff and it is easy to get excited. Chill.

What temperature did your gauge tell you it was?