Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 1/8 with Nitro 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Electric 1/8 with Nitro 1/8

Are any of your clubs letting electric 1/8 buggys and truggy's race with nitro guy's we are getting ready to start our season and allot of guys are complaining already whats happening at the big tracks and clubs with this issue. Thanks. Mark,
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AK-driver
Are any of your clubs letting electric 1/8 buggys and truggy's race with nitro guy's we are getting ready to start our season and allot of guys are complaining already whats happening at the big tracks and clubs with this issue. Thanks. Mark,
We run with the nitros. Electrics just do a simulated pitstop for races longer than 10 minutes. Once there are enough, I am sure we will be split off, but we don't have the numbers consistently to justify a separate class right now. No one seems to make a big deal about running electric and nitro together. The more the merrier.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If a track has issues w/ the li//bl 1/8ths then come up w/ a few spec motors that compare to nitros. This will keep li//bl setups running safer & keep things even.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Mark,

Up here, we're gonna be running them all together unless we get enough electric guys to make their own class. Something else is to consider is to run the race like Le Mans where they run various classes all at once and then you can separate the finishers by class. So far, we only have one whiner up here.

The "Spec" motor thing ain't gonna fly. Nobody is gonna want to spend more money on another motor when they already have some $600+ invested in electronics and batteries alone.

We ran some electrics today. The truggy was no faster than a nitro, but the acceleration was incredible. The buggy is maybe a little faster than a nitro, but again, the acceleration is what really stood out.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

With the instant torque of the electric motor they can be harder on drivetrain parts and tires. Besides hard to control to me from looking at them there balance is off so there handling is different than nitro counter part
Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

They don't have a problem running them mixed with the nitros at the track I go to. I actually haven't ran my nitro truggy in months and I'm in the process of making it electric to bring it back at the club races. The truggy class here usually ends up being a couple of bl/li revos and a few 1/8 nitro truggys. No one whines or has a problem with it, so far the nitro guys are still winning...
Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

We raced this past saturday. 9 nitro, and 1 electric 1/8th buggy. Had no problems. We ran a 30 minute A-main. The electric had to pit 3 times for stop and go's. (pull in, pick it up, set it down, and go) He also ended up making an extra pit stop to change the battery. He finished second, about 5 laps behind the leader. Only 4 cars were left running at the end. Once there are more elec. 1/8th they will probably get their own class, but for now, this has worked out okay.

Stephen
Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default elec vs nitro

Good info guys. How about run time what is the longest run time for a 1/8 elec. We are really wanting to have some longer A mains this season 45 to 60 min.. Mark,
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AK-driver
Good info guys. How about run time what is the longest run time for a 1/8 elec. We are really wanting to have some longer A mains this season 45 to 60 min.. Mark,
The longest an electric can run reliably without a battery swap is 20 minutes and it depends on how the driver sets up their car. Most can make 15 minutes unless they are using a overpowered system.

They will probably have to do a battery swap three times (maybe four) which is probably a minute or more worth of pit stops. As an electric guy, I probably wouldn't run that long anyway. Heat starts becoming a problem and I have found that once you start going beyond 20-30 minutes straight you start risking damage to the electronics.