R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Unhappy Brake Release Problem Losi 8ight 1.0

I recently installed a King Headz Radio Tray Stiffener on my 1.0, which essentially raises the servo upward slightly. Here is the problem that I am experiencing:

The Front Brake is not releasing properly.

It appears to me that the braking mechanism works on friction. Under normal operation as you increase the throttle, the connecting rod that's attached to the braking mechanism releases the brake as the rod moves forward by creating friction on the rod eyelet. However, now that the throttle servo has been slightly raised upward it's not producing the same amount of friction on the lever mechanism and is not releasing. It appears to be shooting straight through the eyelet!

How should I correct the problem?

The only thing that I can think to do is to bend the rod eyelet upward that is connected to the front braking mechanism.

Thanks for the help.
tk1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1931 View Post
I recently installed a King Headz Radio Tray Stiffener on my 1.0, which essentially raises the servo upward slightly. Here is the problem that I am experiencing:

The Front Brake is not releasing properly.

It appears to me that the braking mechanism works on friction. Under normal operation as you increase the throttle, the connecting rod that's attached to the braking mechanism releases the brake as the rod moves forward by creating friction on the rod eyelet. However, now that the throttle servo has been slightly raised upward it's not producing the same amount of friction on the lever mechanism and is not releasing. It appears to be shooting straight through the eyelet!

How should I correct the problem?

The only thing that I can think to do is to bend the rod eyelet upward that is connected to the front braking mechanism.

Thanks for the help.
You can also use Trinity Spring Things.

CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you have a lot of run time the brake pads get thinner. This will cause your brake cams to rotate farther. Once the cam rotates too far past center it physically cannot rotate back. To cure this the screws that hold the metal brake pads need to be cinched down a bit.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
If you have a lot of run time the brake pads get thinner. This will cause your brake cams to rotate farther. Once the cam rotates too far past center it physically cannot rotate back. To cure this the screws that hold the metal brake pads need to be cinched down a bit.
The car only has approximately 2 hrs of run time on it.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

it sounds to me that you need to adjust the brakes with the little thumb adjusters. The friction your talking about I dont believe was by design.

With the throttle trigger in a neutral position, you should have a little play in the brake cams (eyelets should jiggle a tiny bit, depending on brake adjustment). You can also adjust your brake by using the slip collars, or by using your sub-trim adjustment in you radio. If you use the sub-trim, rememeber than any adjustment will also effect your throttle.

Set you car on an incline(not running, but with radio on), and let it roll. Open
the throttle slightly.... if it starts to roll, or speeds up, your brakes are dragging, and you need to adjust by one of the methods mentioned. If you use the thumb adjusters, remember to set your brake bias, which is really a personal preference.
Hot Bodies/HPI - Track Star Services - Triton R/C - Alpha Plus Engines - Radiopost - Hemet Competition Raceway (HCR) - Hemet R/C (R.I.P)
itsshemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Check your diff holder top screws also, if they are too tight it could be binding your brake cams alittle.
aaron joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron joy View Post
Check your diff holder top screws also, if they are too tight it could be binding your brake cams alittle.
+1
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr04 View Post
+1
+2, also when you raise the servo you may need to turn the eyelet the rod go's through, If it's twisted to much it will rub on the top and bottom of the brake rod.
jnyrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Tech Regular

I would check the brake pad gap like Air8 suggested if you haven't already. I wouldn't trust it to be set right from the factory... or anything else for that matter.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the great information.

I had set the brakes a week before I recieved the radio tray stiffener per the Losi instruction manual, and all appeared to be working fine at that time. Then after installing the radio stiffener is when the problem developed with the front brake.