Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS V-Spec / Pinch, Rebuild, Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default OS V-Spec / Pinch, Rebuild, Replace?

Please forgive me, I'm new to nitro.
I have an OS V-spec that has 4 gallons or so through. The last race I started having issues flaming out. Replaced glow plug, fuel lines, etc... Took it to the track today and the engine would not hold an idle consistently. An experienced friend spun the motor and said it hardly has any pinch left. When the motor is hot it has little pinch, when it is cold it has a pinch.
What are my options if I keep this motor? Any ideas of costs?
Thanks,
E
Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mebolson
Please forgive me, I'm new to nitro.
I have an OS V-spec that has 4 gallons or so through. The last race I started having issues flaming out. Replaced glow plug, fuel lines, etc... Took it to the track today and the engine would not hold an idle consistently. An experienced friend spun the motor and said it hardly has any pinch left. When the motor is hot it has little pinch, when it is cold it has a pinch.
What are my options if I keep this motor? Any ideas of costs?
Thanks,
E
If the bearings and rod are in good condition, contact a sleeve reconditioner such as rayaracing or osrocket to have your sleeve pinched. This will extend the life of the motor. While doing this, it's a really good time to change out the bearing of the vspec also. TKO's are good and are inexpensive upgrade worth every penny. If you go with a medium pinch, and change the bearings is pretty close to a new motor as long as the crank and rod are good. Should last a few more gallons for under 100 bucks for the pinch and the bearings. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You need to measure your crank pin and your rod bushing to see if they're still concentric. If they're out more than 1/1000" they'll need to be replaced too.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joey Powell
You need to measure your crank pin and your rod bushing to see if they're still concentric. If they're out more than 1/1000" they'll need to be replaced too.
+1 and when you get to that point, it's not worth it to rebuild. It would probably cost you almost as much as a brand new engine.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
+1 and when you get to that point, it's not worth it to rebuild. It would probably cost you almost as much as a brand new engine.
I argeed. No point rebuilding it!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Ship it

4 gallons on a vspec is nothing. Check your bearings and replace only as needed, send piston&sleeve set here in Orchard Park, and replace conrod after a easy rebreakin the freshly reconditioned-resized P&S set. You should be dialed for atleast 3 more gallons. Kind regards,

RayAracing
Old 04-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've used ray's service before and have to say it was top notch for me. Excellent guy and he does great work. Sent him my Collari 7 port piston and sleeve and it was good for another 4 gallons before the rod went poof. I think the motor would've went even longer since it was still running strong.