R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Tuning help appreciated (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/290912-tuning-help-appreciated.html)

howtowakeakar 04-18-2009 06:06 PM

Tuning help appreciated

I already posted this in the Monster Truck forum, but they said to come here.

"
Anyone have any tips to get the bog out of the bottom end of my engine?

It's an LRP Z.28R Spec 3 in an Associated MGT. I have the high end figured out and it flies but it bogs pretty badly when coming off of idle. I tried leaning it out ~1/8-1/4 of a turn on the low/mid needle and it started not being able to hold an idle, went the other direction and the bogging just got even worse.

I am running 20% Traxxas Top Fuel with the stock gearing, and as I said earlier, once it is moving it just flies, but down low it is just annoying.

I have about a gallon on the engine, it still has an insane amount of pinch, and when I take the temp it hovers around the 210 degree range.

Any help is appreciated."

[email protected] 04-18-2009 06:10 PM

When you leaned the low speed needle did your idle get higher? If it did lean the low speed needle end out by 1/8 of a turn at a time and also lower your idle by twisting the idls stop screw counter clockwise.

howtowakeakar 04-18-2009 06:23 PM

It didn't get noticeably higher, just choppier until it bogged out. I'll try leaning it out though, see if that helps.

Chris__RC 04-18-2009 07:45 PM

Your fuel is the problem.....IMO the best are Nitrotane, Byron, and Sidewinder.

howtowakeakar 04-18-2009 07:49 PM

It actually could be the fuel, not because it it Traxxas (but once it gets closer to summer I'll switch to Byron's), but because this gallon is about 5 months old, and it was stored in a fairly cold area.

I'll crack open the fresh gallon tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

[email protected] 04-18-2009 08:23 PM

also i think top-fuel has a very high oil content but idk what that would do. I really just thnk its a tuning issue.

howtowakeakar 04-18-2009 08:41 PM

I also think it is a tuning issue, I'll lean out the idle tomorrow, but in very small increments, see if that helps.

VenturaDC 04-18-2009 08:44 PM

if tuning doesnt help switch to a stiffer clutch spring and make sure the clutch bell bearings are in good working order.

MadRussian 04-18-2009 09:13 PM

Get some Byrons Gen 2 25-30%, lean the bottom, add 2 thicker clutch springs and keep one stock, run Dyn max lifes.
I raced a full cf shassis LST2 with a LRP Spec 3, still have it actually, thinking about selling it as I run Z-Car buggy and soon to be truggy now

howtowakeakar 04-18-2009 09:18 PM

Looks like I'll be heading to the LHS next weekend, or might just order everything from Tower tomorrow, can't even run it right now, stupid screw came out from the steering while running it. :(

howtowakeakar 04-19-2009 03:02 PM

Also, what size glow plug does the LRP take?
I searched around and couldn't find a definite answer.

Trey7 04-19-2009 03:11 PM

you can run mc 8,9, or 59. I always ran mc 59 in my LRP .28