R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to Outtacontrol58
Talking Difference between 8T 2.0 race roller and RTR???

Hey,

What are the differences between the race roller and the RTR Losi 8ight T 2.0 Truggies besides the chassis and the shock towers?? Thanks a ton for your help and one more question, I have had bad luck with Nitro in the past and was wondering if the new Losi .28 engine that comes with the RTR is easy to tune? Thanks

-Mark P.

Outtacontrol58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Red face

Does anyone know???? LOL
Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe dynamite makes the engines for losi so check their products to find out. I have the 8ight 2.0 on back order at amain for my son. He is 7 and gives everyone at our track fits with his electric cars. I cant wait to see him spanking the nitro guys next. Both of them are very good rtr's.
roadracer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtacontrol58 View Post
Hey,

What are the differences between the race roller and the RTR Losi 8ight T 2.0 Truggies besides the chassis and the shock towers??
What's different about the chassis and the shock towers on the RTR?
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Default I saw one at RCX

The RTR does not have smart diffs! That's a big plus for the roller. The RTR does come with a nice bump box and a Dx3S radio system (on board telemetry) the RTR also comes with a .28 454 engine. The MSRP is 799.00 I think, it's a good deal. Hell, the radio and bump box alone are worth 300 bucks.
****RUSH****
elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
What's different about the chassis and the shock towers on the RTR?
Alot. They have to make some of the parts cheaper. You will see the difference. They are just stamped and annodised red. Pro towers/chassis are machined and annodised black. Those are really the main differences. There are probably some non coated parts like shock shafts and hinge pins(pro are TiNi coated). The shock top and bottom caps are also plastic on the rtr's. The RTR's also have the losi HD diff cases, where the pro's have the new, all plastic cases.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkman View Post
The RTR does not have smart diffs! That's a big plus for the roller. The RTR does come with a nice bump box and a Dx3S radio system (on board telemetry) the RTR also comes with a .28 454 engine. The MSRP is 799.00 I think, it's a good deal. Hell, the radio and bump box alone are worth 300 bucks.
The Race Roller doesn't come with smart diffs either.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
gfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Alot. They have to make some of the parts cheaper. You will see the difference. They are just stamped and annodised red. Pro towers/chassis are machined and annodised black. Those are really the main differences. There are probably some non coated parts like shock shafts and hinge pins(pro are TiNi coated). The shock top and bottom caps are also plastic on the rtr's. The RTR's also have the losi HD diff cases, where the pro's have the new, all plastic cases.
So the roller has a better quality chassis and shock towers? And is the HD diff case better than the all plastic in the pro/roller?

Also, about the smart diffs... the RTR comes with them but the roller does not? Is that something I would want to have?

I'm just trying to figure out which to go with, and this would be my first 1/8 truggy, so I'm not sure about a lot of this stuff.

Thanks.
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
So the roller has a better quality chassis and shock towers? And is the HD diff case better than the all plastic in the pro/roller?

Also, about the smart diffs... the RTR comes with them but the roller does not? Is that something I would want to have?

I'm just trying to figure out which to go with, and this would be my first 1/8 truggy, so I'm not sure about a lot of this stuff.

Thanks.
Yeah the roller has better quality alot of things, including chassis and towers. That is the case with EVERY RTR made. They can't just slap some gear onto it and sell it for that price if it had all of the same quality parts. If you look at pictures of the two the difference is VERY easy to see.

Neither of them come with smart diffs. There are differing opinions of the smart diffs. some like them, others don't. You most likely won't notice them if this is your first 1/8 vehicle.

The difference between the HD and standard cases is that the HD ones have aluminum inserts in them to strengthen them. There were problems with the first generation normal cases, so they made the HD ones. Now that they have corrected the strength issues with the 2.0 spec all plastic cases the HD ones aren't really needed. The problem with the HD cases is that they are heavy. Rotating mass= not good.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default 8T

I believe that is the same motor that they had in the LST2 I raced a LST2 in the monster truck class when we used to race that class I had about 10 race weekends on it. It ran great all season and was super easy to tune and had good power even with the heavy LST didn't use it all year last season just pulled it out of the closet it fired right up and ready to go these year if we run any monster trucks these season. Mark,
AK-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-driver View Post
I believe that is the same motor that they had in the LST2 I raced a LST2 in the monster truck class when we used to race that class I had about 10 race weekends on it. It ran great all season and was super easy to tune and had good power even with the heavy LST didn't use it all year last season just pulled it out of the closet it fired right up and ready to go these year if we run any monster trucks these season. Mark,
Actually the LST2 uses the mach 427. That is the engine in the 1.0 rtr's. The 2.0 rtr's have new engines. They are all SH made so you can expect the same reliability, just different power and fuel milage.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Smile fuel choice

Thanks for all the help! What fuel and % would be the best choice for the engine in it?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say 20% with atleast 12% oil. Unless you want to shim the motor and run a higher nitro content like 25% or 30%. But I would just reccomend 20% for that motor. I know a few friends who got the rtr and the motors had quite a bit of longevity. They ran 20% and there rtrs were very competitive out of the box.
AkA "Tweeky" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BTW the servos on the rtr are junk though. I would reccomend buying higher end servos. I have never seen them last longer than a couple races, and that is with the end points set right. Not bashing the rtr they just skimped quite a bit on servos. But any rtr is going to skimp on servos. It keeps the price of the vehicle down.
AkA "Tweeky" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The RTR's setup properly and a decent driver can easily hang with the race rollers. I have two race rollers and I have seen rtr's that every bit as capable. The engines are pretty decent.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote