R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Buggy/Truggy weight

I haven't seen this thread, I hope I didn't overlook it. Anyway I wanted to know what weight is normal for buggies and truggies? There obviously different, but what weight is average for buggy and truggy? And what measures can one take to make things lighter other than going to all titanium?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Carbon towers....lightened drive line parts....Ti screws....Ti turnbuckles....alum nuts where you can get away with it....as for weight's there's Soo many variable's from motor to exhaust to servo's to batteries.....its not a standard thing to say 1 car weights X amount and other weight's X amount...it all depends on the gear your running...unless were comparing roller weight....and those are usually listed in the specs.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
JUD
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Carbon towers....lightened drive line parts....Ti screws....Ti turnbuckles....alum nuts where you can get away with it....as for weight's there's Soo many variable's from motor to exhaust to servo's to batteries.....its not a standard thing to say 1 car weights X amount and other weight's X amount...it all depends on the gear your running...unless were comparing roller weight....and those are usually listed in the specs.
Yeah I figured that I have the x1 Jammin buggy and this thing is an astonishing 9 lbs!! My x2 truggy is only 10 lbs. (Both including engine/pipe and no fuel. I have to get my x2 buggy in a hurry!! I know its alot lighter.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUD View Post
I haven't seen this thread, I hope I didn't overlook it. Anyway I wanted to know what weight is normal for buggies and truggies? There obviously different, but what weight is average for buggy and truggy? And what measures can one take to make things lighter other than going to all titanium?
Min weight for both is 3200g (3.2kg). Properly equipped XRAY and Losi buggies should be close to this with the right tire/wheel/foam combo, while truggies are considerably heavier, but I am unsure of ballpark average weights for trucks.

Pretty much anything steel on the car is going to be the place where you can look to reduce the weight off of the car.
For instance, it was a little slow at work last summer, so I decided to see how much weight I could take off of my 808. I used aluminum pivot balls (that snap into the rod-ends) throughout the whole car, I opted for aluminum turnbuckles, aluminum drive axles, aluminum M3 nuts, aluminum shock nuts, phenolic brakes instead of steel, 1500mAh lipo, and I put graphite where that part was lighter than the stock plastic piece and plastic where it was lighter than carbon. I stopped there because I wound up almost 50g underweight with AKA Grid Iron tires on.

It takes a lot of expensive titanium to make up for steel, as long as you can replace as much steel on the car with aluminum you should be good to go.
Check out the densities, you can easily see how much weight you can take off of your car with aluminum and/or titanium screw/parts if you have access to a jewelers' scale:
Densities:
Steel - 7.8g/cc
Titanium Alloys ~ 4.6g/cc
7075 Aluminum - 2.85g/cc

Main thing to remember is start at the top of the car and go down. Buy or DIY a drilled cooling head, Carbon shock towers, aluminum shock nuts, aluminum pivot balls in turnbuckle ends, longer plastic turnbuckles ends with shorter steel turnbuckles and weight off of the DRIVE TRAIN will make the biggest differences. WATCH OUT FOR UNSPRUNG WEIGHT TOO, titanium screws in that secure the c-hubs/steering blocks in an XRAY/Losi type steering assembly will make a big difference, but titanium screws in the chassis are negligible as that weight is the lowest in the car and will actually raise the CoG by taking that out, but with a lighter car, this may be good in some instances...

Ok, off of my closet engineer soapbox....
Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
JUD
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmargiotta View Post
Min weight for both is 3200g (3.2kg). Properly equipped XRAY and Losi buggies should be close to this with the right tire/wheel/foam combo, while truggies are considerably heavier, but I am unsure of ballpark average weights for trucks.

Pretty much anything steel on the car is going to be the place where you can look to reduce the weight off of the car.
For instance, it was a little slow at work last summer, so I decided to see how much weight I could take off of my 808. I used aluminum pivot balls (that snap into the rod-ends) throughout the whole car, I opted for aluminum turnbuckles, aluminum drive axles, aluminum M3 nuts, aluminum shock nuts, phenolic brakes instead of steel, 1500mAh lipo, and I put graphite where that part was lighter than the stock plastic piece and plastic where it was lighter than carbon. I stopped there because I wound up almost 50g underweight with AKA Grid Iron tires on.

It takes a lot of expensive titanium to make up for steel, as long as you can replace as much steel on the car with aluminum you should be good to go.
Check out the densities, you can easily see how much weight you can take off of your car with aluminum and/or titanium screw/parts if you have access to a jewelers' scale:
Densities:
Steel - 7.8g/cc
Titanium Alloys ~ 4.6g/cc
7075 Aluminum - 2.85g/cc

Main thing to remember is start at the top of the car and go down. Buy or DIY a drilled cooling head, Carbon shock towers, aluminum shock nuts, aluminum pivot balls in turnbuckle ends, longer plastic turnbuckles ends with shorter steel turnbuckles and weight off of the DRIVE TRAIN will make the biggest differences. WATCH OUT FOR UNSPRUNG WEIGHT TOO, titanium screws in that secure the c-hubs/steering blocks in an XRAY/Losi type steering assembly will make a big difference, but titanium screws in the chassis are negligible as that weight is the lowest in the car and will actually raise the CoG by taking that out, but with a lighter car, this may be good in some instances...

Ok, off of my closet engineer soapbox....
This is all understandable. So what buggy and truggy kits are the lightest between the following popular brands; Losi-Kyosho-Jammin-Xray-Mugen-Hotbodies-Associated-Odonell-Tamiya
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

i saw that the cen buggy only weighted 6.8pounds and thats the rtr version not the factory kit,the associated rc8b is about i think 7.2 pounds and the losi buggy 7.1 pounds and the odonnel is 6.9 pounds im not sure about the other ones. i know the losi 8t is 8.0 pounds and the tamiya is heavy as crap i think its like 8.2 pounds not sure about others
tc5 man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I had a kyosho 777 wc and it was over 8 pounds. I now have the xray 808 and it is 7 pounds 2 oz.

Both were with tires/engine/pipe and the xray had 1/2 a tank a fuel.
jk1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #8
JUD
Tech Master

Im hoping the Jammin x2 is on the lighter side. I just don't have the specs in front of me. I think anything over 8 pounds is on the heavy side.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rmargiotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
i saw that the cen buggy only weighted 6.8pounds and thats the rtr version not the factory kit,the associated rc8b is about i think 7.2 pounds and the losi buggy 7.1 pounds and the odonnel is 6.9 pounds im not sure about the other ones. i know the losi 8t is 8.0 pounds and the tamiya is heavy as crap i think its like 8.2 pounds not sure about others
I don't know what your sources are for the weights, but you have to watch out, as overall weights that are given by manufacturers seem to be akin to .21 horsepower ratings if you get my drift...

So far, at the track, when I asked the tech guys at the R/C Pro Series Int finals if they saw many cars right at or below minimum weight, which they hadn't, not even some of the other XRAY's, while mine was below 7lbs. A 6.8lbs CEN buggy is quite the feat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUD View Post
Im hoping the Jammin x2 is on the lighter side. I just don't have the specs in front of me. I think anything over 8 pounds is on the heavy side.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Tech Lord

IMO its useless to state a weight with out a pic to prove it on a proper digital scale....None of this weight yourself then weight yourself again with truck in hand....we want to see in Lbs and Oz's or in grams....6Lb CEN..
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My X1CR weight was 8lbs even. When I converted it to X2 it came in at 7.4lbs.
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
My X1CR weight was 8lbs even. When I converted it to X2 it came in at 7.4lbs.
7.4lbs isnt bad!

My Xray does weigh in at 3220-3250 grams (7.09Lbs) depending on tires. It has been weighed on two different digital scales, both coming in very close. This weight is with a 1345mah lipo and most of the Xray light weight parts. I also used some titanium screws in choice places. I could run a magnesium head, open cell foam in the tires, and a light weight pipe to get well below 7lbs. I think 7lbs flat is light enough.

Last time at the track, we weighed about ten cars, and most came in around 3350-3500grams (7.3-7.7lbs).

The car with the most "lightweight" potential is defiantly the Xray 808.

CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post

The car with the most "lightweight" potential is defiantly the Xray 808.

what's the trick to losing over 4 oz's ?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
7.4lbs isnt bad!

I was actually very surprised. I have all the lightweight option parts on it, but zero lightweight hardware(screws, nuts, bolts), and I run a very heavy 2200mah lipo, which is easily an ounce heavier than a 1500 to 1800 lipo. So it has the potential to get even lighter.
- Mugen MBX6 Alpha F850 -
- Nomadio Sensor - Hitec servos - Panther tires - DE Racing -
sugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
I was actually very surprised. I have all the lightweight option parts on it, but zero lightweight hardware(screws, nuts, bolts), and I run a very heavy 2200mah lipo, which is easily an ounce heavier than a 1500 to 1800 lipo. So it has the potential to get even lighter.

4oz is A Lot of weight.....4.6oz to be exact.

Plus running a Tiny 900mah lipo and then add all the lightweight Ti hardware and alum nuts where applicable....the losi is By far one of if not The lightest buddy's on the market.